H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Rikery cause: Chink parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Continuing to LMAO. while knowing that abseiling is the brit and eurotrash word for rappeling. Which is what Americans do.

mike r

When one does it in a country where they call it
Abseling, you tend to call it Abseling.

just like having a beer in the UK is having a 'pint'

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Absering, Rappering.

WTF cares....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Starman

Continuing to LMAO. while knowing that abseiling is the brit and eurotrash word for rappeling. Which is what Americans do.

mike r

You misspelled abseiling poser, when you are a poser in the UK they just call you a kghunt. LMAO.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
Absering, Rappering.

WTF cares....

Miker has got carryover butthurt from another
thread topic, so he needs to care.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You misspelled abseiling..

Is that your 'proof' I haven't done it?..

You are a petty desperate insecure old man.
what a sad existence.

YOU failed to notice my spelling was correct
the first I mentioned it....you even quoted
my correct spelling... 😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Skydiving Accident: Likely cause?

Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

No, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane while having covid 19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From earlier this afternoon. Tried to post then but for some reason the campfire was down.

Couple of other points. The main on a tandem rig can be packed by the Tandem master. The reserve MUST be packed by a licensed rigger. Think it used to be every 4 months but may be different now. They have to sign off with their name and license and then seal the rig with their little lead marker. You owe the rigger a bottle of their favorite whiskey if you pull the reserve, as they just saved your life.

The swing or flare you referenced is called a swoop. You take either the right or left control handle (controls your turns) and pull it all the way to the bottom. If held, it can literally put the leading edge of your chute below you. You can easily hit the ground doing 60mph+ or more if you time it wrong. Or you can land as softly as stepping of a chair if you flare (pull both control handles down evenly and smoothly) properly. Choice is yours but inevitably people screw it up from time to time.

I jumped over 30 years and saw literally hundreds of thousands of jumps and made thousands of my own. Never saw anyone killed. Yes, occasional broken bones, sprains, etc. but that is true of any high speed sport. Most skydiving deaths are actually the result of an airplane crash. Plane crashes with 10 on board and they are reported on the news as skydiving accident. That is like saying a group of friends were driving to the ocean to scuba dive and had a wreck on the way. Not a scuba death is it.

The only perfectly good airplanes have jump doors. What you that have not jumped do not realize is, landing in an airplane is like having a hot, beautiful women willing and able and you saying no, lets just go home. You miss the absolute best part!

Adding now:

The 2nd jump is always the hardest to make. The first, you do not know what will happen. You just know you will do it no matter what does. The 2nd one, you know. And your mind is screaming at you because you do know. You are born with two fears. All others are learned behavior. 1. Fear of loud noises 2. FEAR OF FALLING!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
.. the first time you ever flew in an airplane, you had to climb out on the strut of the little Cessna, hang onto that strut for five seconds, a half a mile above the hard red Georgia clay, and then jump...

IT may disappoint you to know I was not afraid
the first time I got into any type of aircraft
or the first time I jumped... And it's not a 'hero' thing
like you imagine, at least not to me.

My God you are a real bad ass. Were you a Navy SEAL, or a Green Beret or what. You must be a real bad ass, you were never scared of anything.
If I send you my email, would you please send me your autograph? I am honored to meet such a Real Man Badass such as you, Starman.

WTF are you babbling about?

You need to get out more and discover that
there are more relatively ordinary folk than
you realize. that are not afraid of abseiling,
jumping, flying, etc

You seem upset that not everybody feels
the same way about it as you and others do.

you were never scared of anything.

I never made any such claim.

Dear God, starman please continue with your stories of your bravery. You are one man in a million. Not scared of jumping from a little Cessna.
I am honored to be able to correspond with such a warrior as you. Go ahead Mr. Bad Ass and list for all of us, the five most dangerous things you have done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dear God, starman please continue with your stories of your bravery. You are one man in a million. Not scared of jumping from a little Cessna.
I am honored to be able to correspond with such a warrior as you. Go ahead Mr. Bad Ass and list for all of us, the five most dangerous things you have done.

Nobody is claiming it as bravery or heroics
or being a warrior, except you.

People do such things for simple personal
pleasure or satisfaction...but evidently you
can only perceive things through your own
narrow mindset.

You are no different to those that fear guns
and cannot understand that others don't.
Some view handling and firing a weapon
as bravery, others just take to such like a
duck to water.

list for all of us, the five most dangerous things
you have done.

How do you rate danger?

Some look at statistics as a measure,
others just rely on pre-conceived fears.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Was to go sky diving with a girl( Katie) I worked with few years ago. We were just friends and she knew I had been into climbing and slack jumping back then for a number of years

She was big into BASE jumping. Had like 600 jumps under her belt at the time. Her boyfriend was a wing suit designer, manufacturer, and had thousands of jumps under his belt.

They both died BASE jumping from a bridge in California when they drowned after the jump.

After that I decided I was never going to go sky diving. Too close to home for me to try it. Stopped slack jumping after that as well

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
Rikery cause: Chink parts.

ruh roh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by travelingman1

The 2nd jump is always the hardest to make. The first, you do not know what will happen. You just know you will do it no matter what does. The 2nd one, you know. And your mind is screaming at you because you do know.

Yep. My first jump I faced the wrong (downwind) direction while landing and got the wind knocked out of me. I knew that if I didn't make the second jump the same day, I'd never come back.

Here are some of the things I saw or that happened to people I knew:

My chute somehow opened as the plane started to taxi. There was no side door on the plane (so the jumpers could get out). If that happened at altitude, the chute would have dragged me out and snagged on the tail, likely killing the pilot, me of course, and the other jumpers maybe.

Since it's cold at altitude, they later bought a door for the plane that had a lever the pilot could pull to cause the door open and to spring up to the wing. The first time they used it, it sprang up, hit the wing, and fell off the plane. It landed in a suburban back yard.

A club safety officer was demonstrating what to do if you landed in a lake. He jumped in the lake deliberately and paddled around telling the guys to immediately unhook the stuff and not paddle around like that. He went under and drowned.

The throttle of the Cessna 180 came off in the pilot's hand at altitude. He then had two speeds: Full and off. The jumpers said "bye," landed far from the field, but the pilot was able to dead stick it safely down.

My friend did an exhibition jump for pay. On the appointed day, it was raining and windy but he did not want to forfeit the money. He came down toward some power lines, made a violent maneuver to miss them, and smashed into the ground at speed. He ended up with a 8" pin in his leg and pain as he got older.

We didn't have refueling at our field. Our pilot wanted to fly to another field to get gas. The jumpers prevailed on him to take them up first. The approach wasn't quite right and the jumpers asked him to make a couple of more passes. He ran out of gas, the jumpers got out, and the Cessna ground-looped as the pilot landed it, totaling it. Lo and behold someone had forgotten to pay the insurance. End of club. By that time I had moved elsewhere, however.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done some schit to my body that i'm paying for now. Hockey, motocross, rodeo, yada ya. My friends wanted ti jump out of an airplane and I told them to kiss my a$$, not on the left side, not on the right side....but right down the middle!!!!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's interesting how experience forges and tempers ones approach to things..

My CP instructor had many thousands of hrs
Oil platform transfer and mountain flying,
He said its not a nice feeling when you are
OEI (one engine inoperable ) in a Super Puma
far out over a wintery North Sea under heavy
conditions.. I remember wanting to cut across
a large spance of water, rather than following
the coast, he said I prefer you hug the coast.
He was most certainly a risk taker, but no more
than was necessary to complete an assigned task
[out to platforms, searching for bird/crew
downed at sea, Ferrying an aircraft, etc.] ..
Just didn't like crossing large areas of water
unecessarily or 'just because you can' .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

mike r

You misspelled abseiling poser, when you are a poser in the UK they just call you a kghunt. LMAO.

mike r

I think you meant "poseur," just saying...

No side taken...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by travelingman1

The 2nd jump is always the hardest to make. The first, you do not know what will happen. You just know you will do it no matter what does. The 2nd one, you know. And your mind is screaming at you because you do know.

Yep. My first jump I faced the wrong (downwind) direction while landing and got the wind knocked out of me. I knew that if I didn't make the second jump the same day, I'd never come back.

Here are some of the things I saw or that happened to people I knew:

My chute somehow opened as the plane started to taxi. There was no side door on the plane (so the jumpers could get out). If that happened at altitude, the chute would have dragged me out and snagged on the tail, likely killing the pilot, me of course, and the other jumpers maybe.

Since it's cold at altitude, they later bought a door for the plane that had a lever the pilot could pull to cause the door open and to spring up to the wing. The first time they used it, it sprang up, hit the wing, and fell off the plane. It landed in a suburban back yard.

A club safety officer was demonstrating what to do if you landed in a lake. He jumped in the lake deliberately and paddled around telling the guys to immediately unhook the stuff and not paddle around like that. He went under and drowned.

The throttle of the Cessna 180 came off in the pilot's hand at altitude. He then had two speeds: Full and off. The jumpers said "bye," landed far from the field, but the pilot was able to dead stick it safely down.

My friend did an exhibition jump for pay. On the appointed day, it was raining and windy but he did not want to forfeit the money. He came down toward some power lines, made a violent maneuver to miss them, and smashed into the ground at speed. He ended up with a 8" pin in his leg and pain as he got older.

We didn't have refueling at our field. Our pilot wanted to fly to another field to get gas. The jumpers prevailed on him to take them up first. The approach wasn't quite right and the jumpers asked him to make a couple of more passes. He ran out of gas, the jumpers got out, and the Cessna ground-looped as the pilot landed it, totaling it. Lo and behold someone had forgotten to pay the insurance. End of club. By that time I had moved elsewhere, however.

I would have found another club, long before all that happened.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Did anyone say "gravity" yet?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I made 20 jumps half a century ago, before my ROTC commander made me quit because as a pilot candidate, I was forbidden to skydive or scuba. But I remember the first bit of a little ditty we all sang at the bar after jump days: (to the tune of Beautiful Dreamer)

Horrible streamer,
open for me!
Blue skies above me
but no canopy...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by slumlord

Never heard that before. I like it, thanks... 👍🏻😃

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.