Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/co...-state-reopenings/ar-BB16JuHU?li=BBnb7Kz

The current surge in coronavirus cases across the U.S. South may have been caused by Northerners who traveled South for vacation around Memorial Day, said Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Robert R. Redfield wearing a suit and tie: CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield testifies during a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., June 30, 2020. © Provided by CNBC CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield testifies during a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., June 30, 2020.

"If you look at the South, everything happened around June 12 to June 16. It all simultaneously kind of popped," he said in an interview Tuesday with The Journal of the American Medical Association's Dr. Howard Bauchner. Independent of state reopening plans, "we're of the view that there was something else that was the driver. Maybe the Memorial Day, not weekend, but the Memorial Day week, where a lot of Northerners decided to go South for vacations."

Because the South hadn't yet experienced large outbreaks like the northeast, many Southern states and cities reopened bars and gyms early and didn't require people to wear masks wearing or to practice social distancing "that seriously," Redfield said. Once the virus was introduced in those areas, that could have allowed it to spread quickly.

"Something happened in mid-June that we're now confronting right now," he added. "And it's not as simple as just saying it was related to timing of reopening or not reopening."

The comment by Redfield appears to contradict remarks by White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci, who said in an interview Monday that the United States is seeing a surge in new Covid-19 infections because the country never shut down entirely.

Early in the outbreak, U.S. coronavirus cases peaked at around 30,000 new cases a day before falling and plateauing at roughly 20,000 new cases per day in mid-may, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. As some states began to reopen in late April through June, new cases began to surge, Fauci told Stanford Medicine Dean Dr. Lloyd Minor during an interview. The U.S. is now averaging roughly 60,000 new cases a day, according to a seven-day average of cases tracked by University.

"We did not shut down entirely," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said. "We need to draw back a few yards and say, 'OK, we can't stay shut down forever.' ...You've got to shut down but then you've got to gradually open."

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This makes no sense crazyWhy would a Northerner head South in July? From what I remember on hot humid day standing outside for 30 minutes equal "shower with sweat".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
This makes no sense crazyWhy would a Northerner head South in July? From what I remember on hot humid day standing outside for 30 minutes equal "shower with sweat".

Yeah, I remember that very well, I got stuck in Houston for 3 days in mid-August 1959. This was before air conditioning was common there. Thought I was gonna die. Got off the airplane at Tan Son Nhut a few years later, wished I was back in Houston. grin

A few TDY's to Florida later on , same thing, take a shower and be all sweated up again before you can get toweled off. Plus, it always stunk of paper mills.

Last edited by jnyork; 07/18/20.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T, Gov. Desantis should have built that wall at the Georgia border like I told him. smile

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
See, it really was a mistake to close the hunting season in 1865!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork

Yeah, I remember that very well, I got stuck in Houston for 3 days in mid-August 1959. This was before air conditioning was common there. Thought I was gonna die. Got off the airplane at Tan Son Nhut a few years later, wished I was back in Houston. grin

A few TDY's to Florida later on , same thing, take a shower and be all sweated up again before you can get toweled off. Plus, it always stunk of paper mills.

I hear ya about Tan Son Nhut and don.t forget the smell of JP & crap burning!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Don't ask me, they do it all the time, been here since 73 and it gets worse every year.

Old cat turd!

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
T, Gov. Desantis should have built that wall at the Georgia border like I told him. smile

Lol.

Yep

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn Yankees.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
More Lieberal Bull Chit... June 12th to 16th was the 14 to 17 day Covid incubation period after the George Floyd protests and riots started. Nothing but Lieberal diversion away from the real cause. "Look, squirrel !"

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This makes no sense crazyWhy would a Northerner head South in July?

Yeah, nobody ever goes to the beaches in Florida in the summer time, never heard of that.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

STEADY stream of em pouring into Myrtle, and folks wonder why Horry County is the hotbed of the virus here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's not so much the one-way travelers. We have been declared "red". We get tourists who are welcomed (for the money) and retirees who travel back and forth to see their families.

I suspect it's the same in Florida.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Yep they do it!
I’ve been in and out of various locations in Florida half a dozen times the last couple weeks taking vacationers south and then back north..just got back from Florida today.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought it was all a hoax?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
ANOTHER northern invasion 😀

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Did you miss reading comprehension the day it was taught? Show me one [bleep] place that JULY appears in that article.

Last edited by RemModel8; 07/18/20.
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Did you miss reading comprehension the day it was taught? Show me one [bleep] place that JULY appears in that article.

Obviously and he is not alone. Yankees come down here year around for nice beaches and theme parks.

BTWSlavek, we do have air conditioning here.

Old cat turd!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Last weekend the Strip was jumping w/ caliturons fleeing a shut down state. It was 111* F. Those goons will spend $1000.00 for a poolside cabana at a resort and another grand on bottle service. So much for a crashed economy. Tourism rocks!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I grew up in NE PA and no body headed south before October/November but our family in Florida was sure to visit late May to August.

Last edited by old_willys; 07/18/20.

Ted

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,764
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.