Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I could care less if a bullet exits either, as long as it’s chest cavity is full of raspberry gelato...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Judman
I could care less if a bullet exits either, as long as it’s chest cavity is full of raspberry gelato...

That they can do.

Especially if you drive light for caliber Bergers fast.

I'm thinking heavier Bergers, not as fast.

I have 156 EOL's headed my way to try in my Creed, Swede, 6.5-284 and 26 Nos. Those heavy Bergers at 2,700-2,750 or so out of the Creed should be interesting. Berger data shows 2,800, but that looks a bit ambitious to me with Horn max at 2,650 or so. The Nos can push them 3,100, which may not be needed. This Berger data, not yet published, is given out over the phone. They admit it's QL generated, not pressure tested. QL data isn't the gospel, just a ball park. So, I'll not push that envelope.

I've run these loads thru the Hornady Ballistic calculator and with these very high B.C. bullets, the extra velocity doesn't make as much difference as I would have thought. And, I'm a hunter, not a LR target shooter, but is nice to be able to take a long shot when the opportunity presents. And, being prepared is a Loony thing. I can twist the Creed to 500 or so just as easily as the 26 Nos, and burn half the powder. And, we don't have a lot of wind like some areas, so those bullets don't need to be moving at 3,100 fps for what I'm doing.

My current thinking on the subject. As a Loony, current thinking is always subject to change...

It doesn't take a lot to entertain a Loony.... grin

DF

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One fine day the 24cf will turn on Berger boolits just like Leupold! 😂. HAPPY TRAILS

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WAM
One fine day the 24cf will turn on Berger boolits just like Leupold! 😂. HAPPY TRAILS

Well, even Leupold still has some fans... grin

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m still an unapologetic Leupold fan, fragile bullets.....not so much! Years ago, we called them varmint bullets.....today, they’re “hunting” (?) bullets! confused memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/20/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by memtb
I’m still an unapologetic Leupold fan, fragile bullets.....not so much! Years ago, we called them varmint bullets.....today, they’re “hunting” (?) bullets! confused memtb

What that is there is a prime example of a logical fallacy. It's similar to me asking how a woman like you could ever understand what it means to do things only a man can do.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I chuckle at what sometimes passes for logic around here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I don't get is why anyone anywhere would get even slightly emotional over bullet choice. I had a less than desirable experience with this bullet when it came to meat damage, very dead deer though. Others have had good luck and are happy with their choice. Great!! Arguing for the sake of arguing has always seemed less than logical to me.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
What I don't get is why anyone anywhere would get even slightly emotional over bullet choice. I had a less than desirable experience with this bullet when it came to meat damage, very dead deer though. Others have had good luck and are happy with their choice. Great!! Arguing for the sake of arguing has always seemed less than logical to me.

MM

I agree that there is often little point to intellectual debate in reality, and I also agree that you should make the choices in gear that best serve your ends as you see them.

What I have noted every time I have seen one of these "Berger bullets for hunting" threads is a bunch of guys who have never used them and won't show up and talk about how crappy they are. Funny enough, the paradigm nearly always involves Berger vs Barnes. I think that's a false paradigm. I've used Bergers a lot more than Barnes bullets, but in my experience, their performance has been identical at the ranges they have been used. Both put holes through animals' vitals, and both killed quickly and cleanly.

There are several reasons why I don't get on the Barnes bandwagon, and one of those is that for Barnes guys, it's often like a religion. I don't see it like that. They are just bullets. There doesn't need to be a huge belief system with complex and ambiguous ethical guidelines just to pick a bullet to kill things with. THEY ALL WORK.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by memtb

A Sierra Game King or a Nosler Ballistic Tip is as frangible a bullet as I want. I'm also a Leupold fan.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are great on deer, antelope, and black bear. They are not reliable elk bullets. I have had terrible luck with them reliably penetrating on elk from my 338 LM. I will take a bullet of stout construction for elk everytime.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ranger1
They are great on deer, antelope, and black bear. They are not reliable elk bullets. I have had terrible luck with them reliably penetrating on elk from my 338 LM. I will take a bullet of stout construction for elk everytime.

Bounced off, eh? Figures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ranger1

No exit?

No kill?

Bullet?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Details, details, details....Aren't you demanding?

I always like "did not drop to my satisfaction" example of one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
RangeI is a good source of info.. I haven't tried them on elk.. Maybe this fall.. Ok on deer, fair on antelope..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Details, details, details....Aren't you demanding?

I always like "did not drop to my satisfaction" example of one.

My fav is DRT but bullet didn't look like the ad pictures.

Just need to say I am not baggin on anyone in this thread, just making an observation.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got nothing of substance to add, so I figure I may as well post a pic of last year's WY mule deer, taken at 378 yards via 140 berger.
Broke the front onside shoulder, destroyed the lungs and he took a 100 yard death run before piling up. I never found a trace of the bullet, and the offside shoulder had zero indication of damage. This pic shows the onside shoulder, and as some others have said, you'd have to part the hair to see the entrance hole. After skinning his shoulder didn't look near this pretty. Please take my word for that.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A week later this rag bull's shoulder stopped another 140 berger from the same rifle at 335 yards. Luckiy he stood still just long enough for me to put one more bullet in him, this time tight behind the shoulder. He then staggered a few yards and fell. That bullet didn't exit either, nor did I find a trace of it.

Take from this what you will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've got nothing of substance to add, so I figure I may as well post a pic of last year's WY mule deer, taken at 378 yards via 140 berger.
Broke the front onside shoulder, destroyed the lungs and he took a 100 yard death run before piling up. I never found a trace of the bullet, and the offside shoulder had zero indication of damage. This is the onside shoulder, and as some others have said, you'd have to part the hair to see the entrance hole. After skinning his shoulder didn't look near this pretty. Please take my word for that.

A week later this rag bull's shoulder stopped another 140 berger from the same rifle at 335 yards. Luckiy he stood still just long enough for me to put one more bullet in him, this time tight behind the shoulder. He then staggered a few yards and fell. That bullet didn't exit either, nor did I find a trace of it.

Take from this what you will.

I pretty much always get an exit on deer from the 140gr VLD launched at 3300fps or the 130gr VLD @ 2750, both 6.5mm.

Ribs on elk always get an exit and it's maybe 50/50 exits on an onside shoulder blade.

I always prefer the terminal results of the Berger that hits some bone on the way in and I purposely target the shoulder.

I think you might have a rough barrel or carbon build up in the throat that is damaging jackets.

This bull took a 130gr VLD straight on (at 80 yds) and the bullet broke his spine far enough back to drop his hind end and keep his front legs solid.

RTD hit him again as he turned and broke both shoulders.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You're making me ponder that possibility more and more.

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer, John Burns, et al - I have used the 30 caliber 168 grain VLD, the .338 caliber 300 grain Berger VLD and 285 grain ELD-M on several different elk. Do they kill them? Sure. With that said, they don't penetrate terribly well. I shot a cow with the 300 grain Berger at roughly 350 yards. Hit her in the shoulder and it didn't penetrate to her vitals. I shot a big bull in the spine as it grazed below me with the 168 grain Bergers. Shooting from above onto his spine, it took out a roughly 6" section of the spine and failed to penetrate further. I shot a wounded cow as it ran away, straight up the poop chute with the 285 grain ELD-M at about 200 yards. It penetrated 4-6". There are better bullets out there for elk. I love a bullet that expands violently on deer, antelope, and bear. They just haven't worked as well for me on elk. As always, and as per usual, YMMV.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.