Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Forest fire started about 11:30 am about 1.25 miles SE of our property. Our pond was the closest by far, so for the past 4 hours we have had a procession of four helicopters dipping out of our pond. Their turns are less than 4 minutes so about every minute we see the orange bambi bucket drop out of the sky and into the pond. They move away when the air tankers make their drops. There are two multi engine air tankers and two single engine air tankers (SEAT) working the fire and one other helicopter that is taking from a neighbor's pond down the road. So far they have dipped out of our pond more than 100 times. The pond is about 60 yds behind the house so we have a great view. We love the heavy initial attack. We built our pond for just this reason. We have no natural water source, but pipe all of the water from our house and shop roof to the pond.

Pictures later when things settle down. They are making great progress on the fire. It's about 40 acres and temps are in the low 90s with 14% humidity.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by logger; 07/20/20.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope they knock it out good!

I've watched them dip from a pond to fight fires. Interesting for sure.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope they get it fast, temps are close to 100 here in Grants Pass.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/20/20.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So who is flying? CHI or Evergreen or both or BFS?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Dave, I know it's not Columbia or Evergreen (I think they went bankrupt after Del passed away). I'll find out. I know the Douglas Forest Protection Association contracts for 2 helicopters and another is stationed here by the state. One came from the Coos district to help out

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Is that a Huey?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ronwethington
Is that a Huey?

Yup. Lot of them in the Fire Service.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I havent seen a huey in 30 years

Not since dad used to fly them

the neighbors asked me if I could speak to him about mowing the grass in his air cav stetson and boxers. The dude is ‘still out there’

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Logger, do they ask permission to dip out of your pond? Just curious

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That the fire near Canyonville?

Last edited by Steve; 07/20/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow, they may just suck that little puddle dry. I hope they get the fire out quickly.

I watched a few flying boats making water drops a couple years ago. They were impressive. I only wish I could have seen them scooping up a tank of water while semi airborne.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Crittrgittr:

No they do not ask permission, but in our case we have given them blanket permission. The other pond they've used is owned by a tough as nails 70+ woman sheep rancher. She figured that there must be a fire someplace when the second helicopter arrived. She called us (as does every one else since they are all down on the creek and we are up on the hill with good visibility) and we let her know.

Steve:

Yes it is about 14 miles east of Canyonville off of Days Creek. At 8:10 they are still pulling water out.

4 Hueys worked the fire and one C Max.

The 3 main helicopters are owned by Marble Mountain helicopter in Myrtle Creek.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool pics and great public service building and letting them use the pond. Is run off enough to keep it full?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the great pics, back when I was on our local volunteer Dept. I was on a couple different fires when the belly dumpers where dropping water, right over the top of us, impressive to say the least

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good on you for providing such a useful service. Also, great pics. Finally, your property and the area around it is absolutely beautiful. Here's hoping they quash that fire ricky-tick.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing like having an airshow nearby. Those helicopter pilots sure work hard. Sure grateful for their efforts.

We had an similar experience with Chinooks and the Erickson Skycrane coming to the athletic field 150 yd from our house. They were fighting the Bighorn fire in the Santa Catalina Mts in Tucson. First day was the big push to put out the fires moving to the SE and going towards Ina and 1st avenue.

The helicopters came in to the bambi buckets every 8-10 minutes non stop for 9 1/2 hrs! They are amazing pilots and can dunk those buckets or pump the tank full efficiently even in 25 mph winds!

The dogs and horses got used to the noise within an hour. Nothing like one of these huge helicopters coming over the house on their approach! I took lots of videos but only a few pics. It went on for four days but slowed down some compared to first day. When it was windy the chop of those blades was quite loud as you can imagine.

Here is the Erickson skycrane about to leave. After filling the tank and closing the valve the extra water falls out of the hose. Second pic to show just how close they were.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is fantastic. There is no spring for your pond, it is just water runoff from your roof. It must rain quite a bit up there.

Great photos.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by logger
Forest fire started about 11:30 am about 1.25 miles SE of our property. Our pond was the closest by far, so for the past 4 hours we have had a procession of four helicopters dipping out of our pond. Their turns are less than 4 minutes so about every minute we see the orange bambi bucket drop out of the sky and into the pond. They move away when the air tankers make their drops. There are two multi engine air tankers and two single engine air tankers (SEAT) working the fire and one other helicopter that is taking from a neighbor's pond down the road. So far they have dipped out of our pond more than 100 times. The pond is about 60 yds behind the house so we have a great view. We love the heavy initial attack. We built our pond for just this reason. We have no natural water source, but pipe all of the water from our house and shop roof to the pond.

Pictures later when things settle down. They are making great progress on the fire. It's about 40 acres and temps are in the low 90s with 14% humidity.

Great pics. Unfortunately I've been watching air attack on multiple fires for 2 months, some of which dried up a few swimming pools.

Hope they can get it controlled..

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Pugs:

In an average rain year (35-40 in) the pond will fill and start flowing out the overflow pipe. This year our rainfall is about 14 in below normal, so the pond started out about 1 ft below full pool. They took it down about 2'. After fire season is over, I'll find out how much water they took out as they log every run.

Last edited by logger; 07/21/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
Pugs:

In an average rain year (25-40 in) the pond will fill and start flowing out the overflow pipe. This year our rainfall is about 14 in below normal, so the pond started out about 1 ft below full pool. They took it down about 2'. After fire season is over, I'll find out how much water they took out as they log every run.

Wow. All off roofs, too. Impressive.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.