Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one I was willed when a good family friend who I worked on the side for passed. It is Mark X Flaigs rifle. Originally built with a Fajen thumb hole stock, but that was cracked in the wrist when I took poof it. Currently in a Rem 798 laminate stock. Hope to someday be in a position to give it a proper piece of walnut to ride in. Have only shot Remington and Prvi factory loads in it. Neither hurts Pa or NY whitetails too bad in the meat department. FLATTENED a Newfoundland moose at about 75 yards. Need to come up with a good 250 gr handload for it.

B.I.L. messed up a chance at a HUGE Pa black bear with it when he got "bruin fever" and cycled all the rounds through it but forgot to pull the trigger........ He was still shaking and had his hands shaking when we got to him after the drive. Kept asking us if he hit it. We never heard a shot and another buddy picked the loaded rounds up and handed them to him......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
I went with the Talley set up and their screw lock rings. I dont plan on using the irons much and they look cleaner.

Also ordered 150 Norma cases and 100 270gr Hornady SPs and 100 Speer 270gr BTSP. Got a set of RCBS dies etc. to put everything together. Everything else I've got for the time being, I hope! I'd like to try some of the Speer 235gr bullets but haven't seen any in stock anywhere. I've got Varget, 4064, and 4350 on hand so one of those powders should do the trick. Things are about to get interesting!

I've used Varget, 4064, and RL15 in my .375's. Given a choice, I'd start with RL15 first...

Ditto on the RL-15. I have had good luck with it and 235 tsx, 250 ttsx and really good luck with 260 NPT.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Off the top of my head, with my .375 H&H I can remember having killed whitetail, antelope, elk and a wolf, among some smaller random critters. I should get it out more often. I am not a partition fan, but I have a lifetime supply of the 260 grainers and they're killers. Classic round.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Mountain_Buck when you get the SE can you please post some pictures of it. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Mountain_Buck when you get the SE can you please post some pictures of it. smile

I've got the rifle. It'll be a few days before before the scope and mounts get here. Once I get it all together I'll try and post pictures. I've not had very good luck with posting pictures. Worst case I can maybe E mail or text them to someone to post?

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have no need for one either, but had to have this one anyway. I don't shoot it much mainly because recoil tends to rattle me more as I get older, but this one shoots so damn good, I can't even think about parting with it. I haven't killed anything with this one but have taken elk with an identical No. 1 375 H&H.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JGray; 07/21/20.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I've got the rifle. It'll be a few days before before the scope and mounts get here. Once I get it all together I'll try and post pictures. I've not had very good luck with posting pictures. Worst case I can maybe E mail or text them to someone to post?

Ok.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray
I have no need for one either, but had to have this one anyway. I don't shoot it much mainly because recoil tends to rattle me more as I get older, but this one shoots so damn good, I can't even think about parting with it. I haven't killed anything with this one but have taken elk with an identical No. 1 375 H&H.

That's a beauty! Great wood on it and man, it's a helluva shooter as well.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sorry to hear that about your hunting spot.; I lived there in Pa. from my birth til 1972.. When I left, hunting was still pretty much go do your thing but be careful.. The last time I hunted there probably 5 years or more ago, wow.. I may still have a couple spots I could access, but not worth the trip since the last camp I was involved with was sold.. You will enjoy that 375.. I plan to to take mine for whitetails here this fall.. Plus a couple others.. I would urge you to look at Paul Mathews book 60 Years with Rifles.. I had plans to meet with him but they never worked out.. Your area and that book go together like ham and eggs. Best of luck enjoy, let us know how things turn out.. I have some Horn. 375s loaded with their bullet for the .375 Win. bullets.. Quite a load...

I will have to check that book out for sure!

And yeah, hunting here isn't what it used to be, especially if hunting state game lands. What county did you grow up in?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.