Page 44 of 46 1 2 42 43 44 45 46
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
Stuff like that is why I adjust seating dies every time I use them. When doing so I also use a comparator and seat to a head to ogive standard. Unless it takes me out of bounds for fitting into the magazine I'm not concerned at all about overall cartridge length.

This weekend I cracked open a new 500 count box of Hornady 168 grain bthp match bullets. Seated then per my usual procedure and lo and behold, the overall cartridge length was twenty thou over that for the previous lot number. Immaterial since base to ogive was right and they shot as well and to the same POI as always.

We are more or less talking about loading for ar15's, so we try to stay at or under 2.255". If a new lot of bullets creates an issue of the seater die seating them to an OAL of 2.265", then you can see where the problem lies. I really could care less about using a comparator to measure, as base to tip of the bullet is more critical in this case.

Or you set your die to seat to 2.245, verify with comparator. Then you find other bullets you are using are .010 shorter now you are seating bullets to 2.235.. only with hornady bullets lol

I'm not too much of a stickler with my AR's, but I don't want them to be too long for the magazine. I could really care less if they are from 2.235-2.255" OAL from base to tip of the bullet. I have a comparator as well, but it doesn't do anything any better than measuring from tip to base and taking an average. If you buy decent bullets, the odds are you won't see much of a variance anyway. I know where my bullets are in relation to the lands, I don't need a comparator to tell me what I already know.. I do fully understand the frustration with Hornady bullets, as it seems like they are always fu cking with the location of the ogive or changing actual bullet length for some damn reason.. I like hornady bullets, though. For the most part, they shoot very consistently and are quite a bit cheaper than sierra's. Now, it would be a good experiment to see how much the bullets vary while using the comparator on them. If it is the base to ogive dimension that is sporadic, I can see that affecting accuracy/consistency. I may just break out the comparator and do some testing. That would also be great information to post on the appropriate thread. 77gr SMK VS. 75gr. Hornady BTHP . Speaking of the sierra's, midsouth has a bunch on sale. 69gr SMK for $95.00/500 and the 77SMK for $109.59. Better get them while they are hot..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was a nice day on Saturday so I took several rifles to the range for a little sighting in action. I'm going to start sticking with one load for every rifle instead of having multiple loads. Hopefully, this will save me a little coin. Anyway, one of them I took was my CZ527 in .223. It's pretty accurate and I had a good load with the 50 gr. Nosler BT, but I also had 14 50 gr. Sierra Blitz kings left that I thought I'd load up and see what happens. I used 25.0 grains of IMR 3031 and the Remington 7-1/2 or the CCI 400 trying to see which load I like better. I think I'll stick with the Rem 7-1/2.

I had a pretty good group going until the guy next to me started unloading with his SBR! The muzzle blast from that damn thing was horrendous and he was 10 feet away from me.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14969805/24-hcf-challenge[/img]

I can't get the pics to post correctly for some reason. And they're all turned wrong. WTF!

Last edited by DubThomas; 06/15/20.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DubThomas
It was a nice day on Saturday so I took several rifles to the range for a little sighting in action. I'm going to start sticking with one load for every rifle instead of having multiple loads. Hopefully, this will save me a little coin. Anyway, one of them I took was my CZ527 in .223. It's pretty accurate and I had a good load with the 50 gr. Nosler BT, but I also had 14 50 gr. Sierra Blitz kings left that I thought I'd load up and see what happens. I used 25.0 grains of IMR 3031 and the Remington 7-1/2 or the CCI 400 trying to see which load I like better. I think I'll stick with the Rem 7-1/2.

I had a pretty good group going until the guy next to me started unloading with his SBR! The muzzle blast from that damn thing was horrendous and he was 10 feet away from me.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14969805/24-hcf-challenge[/img]

I can't get the pics to post correctly for some reason. And they're all turned wrong. WTF!

Looking great mr. Thomas. Looks like most, if not all, are sub moa groups. You do the math for us, but one target looks like a .645 moa avg. Im on my cell phone at work right now. Too bad the pictures are in a link. Other than that, thats exactly how you do it. Calipers are centered over the group too. We may finally have a 10th shooter to produce an actual sub moa score. Good job!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Looking great mr. Thomas. Looks like most, if not all, are sub moa groups. You do the math for us, but one target looks like a .645 moa avg. Im on my cell phone at work right now. Too bad the pictures are in a link. Other than that, thats exactly how you do it. Calipers are centered over the group too. We may finally have a 10th shooter to produce an actual sub moa score. Good job!!

I cannot get the pictures to post correctly on this site. I don't know what it is, but I can't get it right. The only target to score is the last one really. The first one was test loads with the 50 gr. Sierra and different primers. The last target is the 50 gr. Nosler BT and 25.0 gr. IMR 30301 and the Remington 7-1/2 primer. One group measures .640 and the other .850 for an average of 0.745.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I cannot get the pictures to post correctly on this site. I don't know what it is, but I can't get it right. The only target to score is the last one really. The first one was test loads with the 50 gr. Sierra and different primers. The last target is the 50 gr. Nosler BT and 25.0 gr. IMR 30301 and the Remington 7-1/2 primer. One group measures .640 and the other .850 for an average of 0.745.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When it comes to getting photos to render correctly here, I have found that sometimes there seems to be NO way to make it happen. I feel your pain.

Nice shooting, though!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Oh, I was looking at the .807 and .544 target, but I see the caliper says .599. My bad. When we first started doing this, guys would get pissy and say you had to go out, shoot that one set of groups and basically call it a day for all intents and purposes of the shoot here. We were told not to "cherry pick" our groups, so that is what I try to follow. However, I don't see a problem using the target where you are shooting different loads. Who cares? I really don't, but I don't know how the op feels about it. I'd call your rifle and your shooting "moa all day long".. Thanks for posting..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Photo's are easy as you know what, I won't use the f word this time. . USE IMGUR...!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anyone shooting this anymore? Still a great shoot. As long as I have targets, I'm going to be shooting it.. Took 3 rifles out the other day. 2 AR15's and my new Tikka T3x 7mm08. I was just working on loads for my Tikka, so I'm not posting any targets for that rifle yet. I suspect it will be shooting sub moa way before hunting season though. But for now, I'll show results from 2 of my AR's, from the other day:

Scoped Semi auto entry:

Rifle: Spikes tactical/Northtech Defense (old faithful) chambered in 223 (CLE chamber). Windham weaponry stainless 20" fluted barrel. RTBA BCG, Matrix Arms Foxtrot 15" handguard, RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger, Spikes tactical ST2 buffer, Armaspec LPK, BAD lever, Gen 3 PRS stock, K2+ grip, Raptor charging handle, Burris PEPR scope mount with AR556 4.5-14x42 scope:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Target pic. Target at 100 yards from bench:

Target pic:
I knew I could shoot a better group than the first one, so I knuckled down and shot the rifle the way it was intended to be shot (group on right)....

Target pic with caliper laid over one group for reference:

I changed one thing on my load and was using R-P brass instead of my usual range pickup FC. The R-P is more consistent and better brass. The CCI 41 primers seem to be doing well...

Average of the 2 10 shot groups: .693 MOA

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Second Semi auto rifle entry from 7-18-20:

Spikes tactical viking edition lower. Spikes upper. Fail zero nickel boron BCG, 6WOA, Armaspec LPK, BAD lever, CMC single stage 3.5 pound trigger, Noveske NSR 16.7 handguard, Armaspec stealth recoil system, Gen 3 PRS, K2+ grip, Burris PEPR mount, Burris AR 762 4.5-14x42 scope, 85gr Sierra gameking load. Average velocity 2,880 fps:

Target pic:

Target pic with caliper over one group for reference:

Target at 100 yards downrange:

Barely scraped by with a .946 moa average....

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Anyone shooting this anymore?"

Nope, we hung steel at 1000 yards Saturday morning, I even missed a pistol match to do it. Shooting carbines with LPVO to 600, red dots and irons to 300 and my 22-250AI at 900 and 1000 has kinda messed up my whole routine.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by TWR; 07/21/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
"Anyone shooting this anymore?"

Nope, we hung steel at 1000 yards Saturday morning, I even missed a pistol match to do it. Shooting carbines with LPVO to 600, red dots and irons to 300 and my 22-250AI at 900 and 1000 has kinda messed up my whole routine.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

At least you are shooting. That is the important part.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot every weekend and sometimes during the week, just don't post much about it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m about to do the MOA challenge later today with my M1 garand. It’s a fun shoot using CMP rules. 10rds slow fire prone, 10 rapid fire sitting starting from standing position,with 2rd enbloc flowed by 8rd enbloc, 10rd rapid fire from the prone starting from standing piston. Then last is 10rd slow fire standing no sling allowed. We are using 200yd 5V targets.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I shoot every weekend and sometimes during the week, just don't post much about it.

I shoot way more than i post about it as well. Shoot those targets every time i go out. Never go home without shooting a few moa targets. Ill be shooting my 6.5 cm tonight with a different compensator on it. Why have a thread or even a forum, if you arent going to talk about shooting your rifles? Thats what this thread was for.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First time poster here in the Challenge thread. I shot yesterday in the heat. Scoped semi-auto entry

1/2. Picture of rifle and range
[Linked Image]

3. Picture of target with calipers (I used OnTarget to get the measurements, and wrote them on the target).
[Linked Image]

4. Mega Arms forged upper and lower, 21inch X-Caliber 223Wylde 3groove-8 twist barrel, LaRue MBT-2s trigger, scoped with a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15X. I was shooting 69gr SMK's over 25.1gr Varget in LC cases with S&B primer.

5. Group 1 0.752moa. Group 2 0.863moa. Avg 0.808moa

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice shooting 458minmag!! Looks like that 69 smk works well for you too. Im glad to see someone is still shooting. Im happy anytime i shoot anything sub moa in this challenge. .8 moa is damn good with an AR.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks BSA. I have been watching this thread over the years, and I'm impressed with everyone's shooting. You've posted up a lot of fantastic targets.

I have shot several 5x5 targets with that gun, but this was my first 2x10 shot format. I have to say that I was getting a litte anxious as I got up around 8 rounds and the groups still looked good through the scope. A lot of fun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458MinMag
Thanks BSA. I have been watching this thread over the years, and I'm impressed with everyone's shooting. You've posted up a lot of fantastic targets.

I have shot several 5x5 targets with that gun, but this was my first 2x10 shot format. I have to say that I was getting a litte anxious as I got up around 8 rounds and the groups still looked good through the scope. A lot of fun.

You did great. That anxious feeling gets to all of us. Ha ha.. That's what makes it such a challenge. A lot of us here have commented on how one of our groups are great and then things fall apart. Or things fall apart even before we are done with our first 10 shots. I've noticed sometimes I'll throw the 8th shot because I get too confident and then I'll have to make up for it on the 9th and 10th shots. Its great practice for my local competitions though, as we shoot 10 shots slow fire on NRA targets.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Greatwapiti, here's where you want to post those targets you fu cking puzz..

BSA MAGA
Page 44 of 46 1 2 42 43 44 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 59 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.