-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ford has the best chassis, Cummins the best engine, and .gov motors trucks are a wannabe 4x4 Cadillac? I bought a 7.3 standard when I wanted a truck to last the rest of my life. Worse comes to worse I can put a new 7.3L in for less than it would cost to replace one major system on the new urine chuggin' trucks. Or if I wanna splurge drop a 6BT and fuggitabout it.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ELKiller
Thanks for your input guys. I currently drive an '08 Chevy 1500, and up until a year ago I was convinced that I wanted a 3/4 ton gasser. Then I pulled my 20-ft camper on an antelope hunt and it was clearly working the truck too hard. That's what is leading me to think that a diesel would be the best option and since it won't be a daily driver it should last me a LONG time.

The 12v Cummins are very attractive for longevity, but with a kid in tow, I'm afraid we should at least have a quad-cab. Seems like those model years came in regular cab or extended cab, and with the wife and kid along, I think I'd regret that. If was just me, that would be a different story. Right now, I'm thinking a clean (not hot-rodded or monkeyed with) 04-09 Dodge, or an 04.5-07 Chevy, with an increasing preference to the Dodge.

How much does your camper weigh? I can’t see needing a 3/4 ton let alone a diesel for a 20’ travel trailer.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by ELKiller
Thanks for your input guys. I currently drive an '08 Chevy 1500, and up until a year ago I was convinced that I wanted a 3/4 ton gasser. Then I pulled my 20-ft camper on an antelope hunt and it was clearly working the truck too hard. That's what is leading me to think that a diesel would be the best option and since it won't be a daily driver it should last me a LONG time.

The 12v Cummins are very attractive for longevity, but with a kid in tow, I'm afraid we should at least have a quad-cab. Seems like those model years came in regular cab or extended cab, and with the wife and kid along, I think I'd regret that. If was just me, that would be a different story. Right now, I'm thinking a clean (not hot-rodded or monkeyed with) 04-09 Dodge, or an 04.5-07 Chevy, with an increasing preference to the Dodge.

How much does your camper weigh? I can’t see needing a 3/4 ton let alone a diesel for a 20’ travel trailer.

If I recall correctly, it's about 4400lbs dry. It's not a huge camper, but I can assure you that pulling it over mountain passes with a stiff wind was too much. I know a 5.3L 1/2 ton chevy isn't meant to be a towing machine, but it was dogging it, bad.

I'm sure a "heavy duty" gasser would do it, but for a truck that probably won't see more than 2-3k miles a year, why not buy an older low-mileage diesel? For $20k I could buy a much newer gasser with similar mileage, but from what I've read, it won't last nearly as long as a diesel. If that's true, it makes perfect (long-term) sense to just by an older diesel to begin with, no?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’d take a newer, lower mileage gas heavy duty or even 1/2 ton over an older diesel without hesitation. Pretty much any of the newer HD gas engines should pull 4K likes it’s not there, plus be a hell of a lot more comfortable than an older, smelly diesel and should go 200k without any major issues.

I don’t know what year 5.3 but if tied to the old 4 speed I bet therein lies the issue. I just don’t see a diesel being the answer to your problems

Last edited by ajmorell; 07/21/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My Chevy is a 2008, and yes, I believe it is the 4-speed auto transmission. Are the newer Chevy 6-speeds better in that regard?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mines a 2018 ram Cummins for just that reason! I’m not going to buy anything with a CP4.

Last edited by rc82bttb; 07/23/20.

Rick
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.