Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Other than High School jobs, like busboy or grocery cashier, I've been pretty fortunate. I did a very short stint installing fences in El Paso. After that it was 40 years of union electrical construction in NYC, straight to retirement..

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never home, so I quit the oilfield and I had a wife and 2 kids at home. Took a job in maintenance at a chicken plant. No one went hungry and it kept the bills paid but that's about all. Took a year and a half to find a decent job, but I got out of there as quick as I could.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gee and people wonder why those of us who have busted our azzes to get where we are today and to get what we have tend to be conservatives and despise the welfare gimme-dat crowd! Just look at this thread and the horrible jobs many of us have done just to remain self sufficient!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Oh hell, the list would fill pages!

But, for your amusement, I was officially known as the HOSER for a couple of months back in 1990? I used a fire hose to spray mud off vehicle tires leaving a construction site in West Linn Oregon. Good times. Not the worst by far.

Bro, that's a good deadend job on a hot day in SoCal. Mud off tires, gravel off the sides of dumptrucks. A little overspray every vehicle. Bam! and a paycheck for keeping cool all day.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I worked in a metal foundry,had a big hammer machine that knocked the ceramic off the freshly poured metal parts,machine was loud,had rubber mats wired all around it.was like working in a cave.had to stop every hour to shovel up the ceramic pieces into giant carts and push them up a ramp to be re used.
Was hot,loud and dirty,but,i was alone all day,as long as i was working ,nobody bothered me,but it was minimum wage,i left as soon as i could.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have to say, not that bad. I've worked hard, but the jobs we not all that bad.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked as a janitors helper at a elementary school one semester while in college (nasty job). Then worked stocking groceries at night in a major supermarket. Married and one kid at the time....Graduated with a EE degree and things got better.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Weeded, and picked produce, shoveled s h i t, emptied garbage, cleaned houses, moved furniture, remodeled basements and homes, hauled and stacked firewood, cleaned chimneys, mowed lawns and shoveled a LOT of snow. Thank God I moved out at 19, everything was easy after that.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Farmed and ranched.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had to work steadily while in college in order to remain a student, and all summers - and when first married and with children as a teacher needed to work summers as well. Ditch digging, carpenter helper, cleaning petroleum lines/tanks/cracking units, automobile assembly line, various oil refinery tasks, driving school bus, tutoring in math and sciences, college plumbing crew, machine shop assistant, news stand in evenings, paper box factory night worker., checking crops and selling pesticides/fertilizer/farm equipment, running a crew picking melons in AZ, repairing music instruments, mobile service vehicle tune-ups, janitorial services, night watchman, Readers Digest Book Return crew, IBM bodily electric testing, baby sitting, running a TP rolling machine at Scott Paper, lawn and tree work, night shift at mental hospital, any extra music jobs that came along including teaching myself to play tuba to get hired to play in the orchestra for a production of The Pirates of Penzance at Sleepy Hollow School. There were others - a little more selective these days.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Rough carpentry and landscaping. Junior guy on both crews. Honest work, At least it kept me going to college.

Old70

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cottage cheese factory and hubcap factory were probably the worst.
Even when I worked in the utility business the pay was great but some of the jobs sucked. Everybody should be a meter reader for a year. It will make you appreciate your next job.
I also had no-future jobs that were great. Planted trees with my Uncle for several years. Lots of times hungover. Back-breaking work in all kinds of weather but we had a great time.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Cottage cheese factory and hubcap factory were probably the worst.
Even when I worked in the utility business the pay was great but some of the jobs sucked. Everybody should be a meter reader for a year. It will make you appreciate your next job.
I also had no-future jobs that were great. Planted trees with my Uncle for several years. Lots of times hungover. Back-breaking work in all kinds of weather but we had a great time.
What was bad about being a meter reader ? From the outside it looks like a cake job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul..... what exactly does a Readers Digest Book Return crew, do?

Inquiring minds want to know. grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked 11p-7a on a big drilling rig in the Anadarko Oil Basin in Oklahoma about 40 years ago. 7 days a week. No days off. It was crazy. Well over 600 rigs goin’ in Oklahoma at that time. OSHA who...?
I got tired of that schit, I went to college and got my BSN.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Asbestos abatement, insulation installer, house painter, raspberry picker.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve enjoyed working these 50 years, very proud I’ve never taken a dime of Government money, except SS, but I earned that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was slave labor as a child. Hoed a lot of rows of cotton, hauled and stacked countless bales of hay, and stretched miles and miles of barbed wire fence. And never got payed a dime! 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Payed my way through College delivering newspapers in the AM, delivering pizzas at night, and mowing lawns in the afternoon. All at the same time.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/22/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A&M...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.