Print Thread
Hop To
C
Circles Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I want a spotting scope with an MOA reticle to use at the range. Needs to be able to distinguish .22 holes from 25 yards to 100 yards in decent light conditions. All my scopes have MOA adjustments so I'm not interested in MRAD.

I'm thinking about the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85 with their 33x ranging reticle. Seems like it's about $1100 for the set. That's more than I want to spend but it looks like it will do what I want.

Any reason I shouldn't get the Vortex? Is there anything else I should look at?

Circles
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You simply need a better MOA scope,for such a MODEST requisite. What sort of piece of fhuqking schit scope are you using,which won't distinguish a .22cal hole at such a CLOSE distance? Hint.

I'd objectively revisit your platform(s) and simply make the Mil Transition,because it is vastly superior in all facets. Hint.

I suffer a fhuqking Reupold 12-40x FFP Gen2 Milscale. Typical Reupold,in that the glass is sad,but KNOWING assuredly beats Guessing. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Offed my beloved Zeiss 15-45x 65mm,simply due the fact I could never score the fixed Milscale eyepiece,which is still a pisser. Hint.

Coming full circle...I'd go RIGHT to the Bushy Compact FFP Milscale Bitch and NEVER look back. It smokes the Reupold and is shorter,handier and lighter. I've done a fair amount of side by each with 'em,but cain't locate the frames. Hint.

Bushy FFP Milscale Spotter RINK

My Reupold has only puked once(so far) and it was soooooooooo fhuqking pathetic,that it's still fhuqking FUNNY! Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Thank me later.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Circles Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Stick

I hear you about switching everything over to mills but I'm just not ready to do that. I bought a SWFA fixed 10x with the MOA quad just to see what all the fuss was about. I haven't given up on it, but I prefer my Leupolds. You can lead a horse to water...

I do see the value in measuring adjustments in angles, so that's what I'm working on. I don't want to drag the rifle with the SWFA to the range every time I go shoot.

I could get a Leupold GR 12-40x60 with an MOA reticle. I'm sure it's a nicer instrument than the vortex, but it's more expensive and I don't need a lot of optical horsepower to see bullet holes on paper at the range.

Circles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You ARE ready,but just don't know it yet.(grin)

There's NO upside to MOA,whether in Theory or Application,as it is a convoluted "system" in direct comparison and from any/all angles. What most folks TRY to "tell" me,is that they have to "learn" a "conversion" of some sorts,which is funnier than fhuqk and miles awayyyyyy from actuality. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.(grin)

The trouble with MOA,is that VERY few things are MOA and Reupold surely is not,nor can they track,repeat or hold zero. So things compound quickly,because subtensions are ALL over the place and erectors are even a greater schit show. To SEE The Light,simply go into this all OBJECTIVELY. Pinpoint your BEST rifle/scope/ammo and flog on the bitch. Measure 100yds fhuqking exactly,plumb bob a line square with gravity and simply shoot come-ups in 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,etc. MOA increments to the extent of the scope's mechanics. Don't shoot ascending in lineal fashion,nor descending after the fact,mix the bitch up,to keep it REAL. Roll the zoom selector to/fro a few times between pokes too and then simply MEASURE the "results". From there,simply determine what "graduations" your scope is actually tossing you in Application,as opposed to Theory. You're gonna be PISSED. Hint!

Your 10x Fixed Fhuqker ain't gonna give a schit,but everything else is gonna be Helter Skelter and none of them will jive,which only makes things more "special". You'll soon see(assuming sound rifle/ammo/mounting system/abilities),that you've got multiple units of measure,along with horizontal deviations,along with areas in a given erector,where adjustment aren't lineal(bigger/smaller through maximum erector travel). Hint.

Now coming full circle to the 10x MOMO(which I obviously have),it's stadia is lesser than the MQ's of like magnification and the lineal etched graduations finer and therefore tougher to employ,on the average for Utility. Hint.

10x MOMO Schematic.

10x MOMO Real Time. Hint.

10x MOMO and a smidge of vegetation. Hint.

So MAIN thing,is to simply shoot whatcha' got,get pissed at it and then transition to schit that'll actually work reliably. Hint.(grin)

I'd suggest to hold pat on Shopping for a Spotter,until them Goat Fhuqks are realized and then Shop SMART from there. Until then,I'd simply scale 100yd paper,to that which is easily resolved and I'm a fan of black/white(Butcher paper) and a medium Sharpie. I color aiming points and can simply employ the reticle as a ruler,mainly because it fhuqking is,to establish a zero on a new platform or projectile swap. Hint.

Thusly. Simply scale the aiming point's size,to a given reticle's subtension and "magically" watch holes appear at the 100yd line,with rather modest X's. Hint.

Be SURE to shoot your best Rifle/Reupold first,then simply report the findings. I'm rootin' for you,but the wager would go elsewhere!(grin)

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Toldja so,wayyyyyyyyyyy in fhuqking advance!

Laughing!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, are you ok?
I totally understood that post.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.