Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure an awful lot of the old farts on this forum are probably on cholesterol/plaque reducing statins like I am so I thought I would float something by to see what the consensus and the tin hat brigade have to say about this-

Muscle pain from Statin use is a fairly well known but intermittent reaction to Statin use... from my research it seems that about 20% or so of Statin recipients have this muscle pain, which is brought on by a concentration of the Statin component drugs in the large muscle groups. Unfortunately, I have been on Statins for about the last 8 years since I had 4 Stents placed and can't reasonably get off them if I want to live to be a grouchy old fart....and I have a relatively severe case of muscle pain from the Statin's effect. When I stretch or use my upper arms or raise my arms above my head, even when sleeping, I get a huge pain in my shoulders and biceps/triceps like a huge cramp. It is extremely painful, but the biggest problem is it is interfering with my sleep patterns and I am having "social issues" due to lack of sleep....

Have any of you had this symptom and have you found a decent remedy for it? I have tried CoQ10 for it and it is marginally helping, but barely.. under my cardiologist's suggestion I knocked off the Statins for about two weeks and most of the pain went away, but that isn't a long term solution.... I would sure like to hear what others have done and how effective it has been....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was right there with you. I not only had joint pain, but my mood got very bad and I was angry and took it out on my wife most of the time. I talked to my doc's about it, and tried probably 5 different statins. Some didn't have the effects as others, but not good enough. So my current doc suggested I try red yeast rice instead, but I had to take at least 1800MG to do any good. So I did, you can't buy a pill/capsule with 1800, so you have to double or triple up on pills. Then I found red yeast rice in bulk. I started weighing out the stuff on my powder scale, did the conversions from grains to grams, and a heaping 1/2 teaspoon gives you what you need. Been taking this for 4-5 years, it keeps my numbers down, not as far as the statins, but livable. And none of the side effects.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, I've been on Pravachol (pravastatin) for something like 15 years now. Never had muscle pain from it, and it is the only statin that allows me to have grapefruit. Maybe the two are related somehow. Dunno. But I have zero detectable side effects.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was on a statin for a year. It got my numbers down and the doc dropped it this spring. Somehow I had no side affects at all. I guess I was lucky.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've taken Simvastatin for 20 yrs. with no side effects.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
After stent no.1 I would stop eating lard and lard products.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m with Rocky, i take Pravachol now side effects at all!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Avorstatin daily - not heavy dose - sometimes experience the pains you describe. When it comes on at night it will interrupt sleep, so I take 2 non-aspirin acetaminophen. During waking hours I ignore those pains, stay busy, keep working. In experience, there are lots of things worse.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Twenty-one years, mostly leg crams, I'm weak however.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was getting my physical 4 years ago. I was 65. Doc said he wanted to do a blood test, if my cholesterol was bad he was going to put me on statins.
I said "No, you are not."
He said "Yes you will take them if your numbers are bad."
I said "No I won't I don't trust these tests."

Doc said "Well if you won't take the meds I won't even test you."
And that was the end of that.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on Rosuvastatin at the moment but the cardiologist isn't confident that switching statins will make much difference and the research I have done on line seems to back that up... I read something about an herb or spice that is associated with Cumin, but the article didn't really go into any real depth. Not unusual for a remedy that no one will make any money from....

In our family, high cholesterol is just a fact of life and all 7 of my brothers and sisters are on statins now... a fact we had never discussed before I went in for my stent surgery.... getting off the statins probably isn't going to happen in this lifetime unless I want to shorten my life expectancy substantially.

Thanks for the help and ideas- at least the ones who chose to be helpful.... any other ideas would be welcomed.. I don't really have a huge problem during the day as I keep pretty busy most of the time.... at night is a different story....

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Now that everyone has had an “oh me too” poke

Rhabdomyolysis Is what be of some interest in you investigating further. I t can manifest itself pretty harshly at the initiation a the sort of first exposure with statins

I am not sure if it was manifests as a slow, low tone chronic condition

That is what I would get on dr Google-fu or duck duckgo-fu and keyword myself six way from sunday if you want.

...Doug

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I wish the tests, stents, and statins would have been in time for my mother.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been on Simvastatin, then Atorvastatin and now on Rosuvastatin. Never had any muscle pain or any side affects. I've been on some sort of statin for probably 8 or more years.

3825 24336
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was getting my physical 4 years ago. I was 65. Doc said he wanted to do a blood test, if my cholesterol was bad he was going to put me on statins.
I said "No, you are not."
He said "Yes you will take them if your numbers are bad."
I said "No I won't I don't trust these tests."

Doc said "Well if you won't take the meds I won't even test you."
And that was the end of that.

Never had bypass have you.

3825 24336
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i had a message from my heart doctor , he was amazed with the blood test results and asked me continue with the medications.

atorvastatin and ezetimibe

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've been on statins for 20-something years, and I have to take 8-hour time release Tylenol to sleep at night- - - - -lots of shoulder and muscle pain. I just thought that getting both shoulders separated a few times was the problem. They've got more snap crackle and pop than a bowl of Rice Krispies! The new cardiologist I'm scheduled to see in about a month after my other one retired is going to get a few questions asked. Thanks for bringing up the subject!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
After stent no.1 I would stop eating lard and lard products.

What and deprive your friends the ability to legitimately call you lard-ass

Now that is just poor sportsmanship..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I've been on statins for 20-something years, and I have to take 8-hour time release Tylenol to sleep at night- - - - -lots of shoulder and muscle pain. I just thought that getting both shoulders separated a few times was the problem. They've got more snap crackle and pop than a bowl of Rice Krispies! The new cardiologist I'm scheduled to see in about a month after my other one retired is going to get a few questions asked. Thanks for bringing up the subject!

I've gone the Tylenol/Ibuprofen route and may continue to do it when especially problematic, but I really prefer to keep my drug intake to a minimum- heck, I hardly even drink any more... it really does help me to sleep though, so worthwhile in the extreme when I really need it... I did try melatonin to help me with my sleep cycles when they were all screwed up for a while and it worked fine, but the grogginess I woke up with wasn't worth the help, so I dropped the Melatonin.... now I only need to take it a few evenings every few months to get my sleep cycles back in sync...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My blood work is within specs without taking any statins but both of my parents had heart issues. Especially mom. But my DR. wants to see my bloodwork in the "perfect" range instead of "acceptable", especially with the family history I've taken a low dose off and on for 6-7 years. Never had any side effects. I talked him into me not taking them for about a year and my levels went up slightly, but still remained acceptable. I had my last physical in Feb. and we compromised. I now take a statin on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only.

Even though I have no side effects I just don't want to take anything I don't have to. But I trust my DR.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (2ndwind, 3040Krag, 270cowboy, 358WCF, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 50 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,019
Posts18,520,757
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.