Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finally did a self test.
No expensive doctors visit bill.
It was a little higher than average recommended range.
Mainly because I ate a high carb lunch right before.

When good quality butter is on sale, I stock up.
12 Pounds of mouth watering salted grass fed butter last time. Ohh yeah!

When T drops off, I eat calf liver, butter, good fatty meats and certain supplements.
Why???

Hormones drop off with age until we Can't function.
Where do they come from?
Drugs?
Water?
Some drs will give the cop out......" Old age. You're just getting old.". "Please pay at the desk on the way out, pick up your script and I'll see you in a month."

That's a sad way to live. Nobody wants that.
So, where are hormones made?.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mostly by the LIVER and the rest by.what we eat.

Our bodies use Cholesterols to build other Hormones.

With cholesterol BLOCKING drugs, hormones are diminished more and more.... regardless of age.

I have friends who don't show up any more because of that issue. As it compounds, they become more and more dependant upon the men who did that to them.....Its a vicious cycle.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been taking statins for probably 10 years or more. 2 years ago, I had a stent put in and they changed me to Atorvastatin. On my own I quit taking it, listening to friends, telling me it would kill me. Last time I saw my heart dr. I told here I had quit taking it because it was so bad for me. She strongly disagreed with me, and said that the studies show Atorvastatin with asprin (a baby asprin nightly) are good for preventing heart attacks if you have AFIB, which is her diagnosis of me. She's on top of her game, so I've decided to go right along with what she says on this one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had to quit taking statins a few years ago. I tried everyone of them. Same associated muscle pains. I could not cope with those, arthritis, and nephropathy at the same time. Those NSAIDS will eat up your kidneys in 3 months of continuous taking them and you die from that. Which is worse? When you are on the back side of the 70's and everything hurts, you have to decide which pains you can put up with and which ones you can get rid of that are caused by medications. I don't eat any fat and oils are limited to the smallest amount I can cook with.I lost 20 pounds and right now my total cholesterol hovers at about 220.

As Happy Camper mentioned about his friends,I was close to to becoming dependent on those who did it to me.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've taken Simvastatin for 20 yrs. with no side effects.

Ditto

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good thread. I've been taking them for 15 years or more and have only had sore muscles in the last few years.
Seems to get worse when I take it easy for a few days. If I do a lot of walking around hills or hard work its fine.
I'm going to try not taking them for 2 days a week.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I refuse to take statins.
I am 69 and male, so the doctor's chart says I need them.
But I refuse.

What will I take?
Eye drops for glaucoma
Vitamin D for my deficiency.

That's it, and I still run the stairs, skipping every other step.
I do get REALLY tired from digging up stumps.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've taken Simvastatin for 20 yrs. with no side effects.

Just started on that recently. Nuttin' noticeable.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had to quit taking statins a few years ago. I tried everyone of them. Same associated muscle pains. I could not cope with those, arthritis, and nephropathy at the same time. Those NSAIDS will eat up your kidneys in 3 months of continuous taking them and you die from that. Which is worse? When you are on the back side of the 70's and everything hurts, you have to decide which pains you can put up with and which ones you can get rid of that are caused by medications. I don't eat any fat and oils are limited to the smallest amount I can cook with.I lost 20 pounds and right now my total cholesterol hovers at about 220.

As Happy Camper mentioned about his friends,I was close to to becoming dependent on those who did it to me.

Saddlesore,

Good for you!
I'm not a "old fart", as the title says, but I've suffered numerous injuries....head to toes.... broken bones, tendon tears, sprains, busted joints, muscle spasms... multiple TBIs, on and on.
Even now, I just healed from a partial rotator cuff tear.
I was topping trees and stopped before the tendon tore off altogether. I feel ready to restart that big job.

I'm not judging anyone, just trying to let you all know that what I do has worked for me and others.
Years ago, I was crippled and took meds just to get to sleep through the night. Afterwards, my strength returned and mobility. I got off the meds too, thank God. West Virginia has a far bigger problem than covid.

I just said that to give you hope. The biggest advertisers, the same ones who run the medical schools, don't want anyone to know about other options.

I studied the physicians who were not pushing pills, but seeing results like my life and the lives of others depended on it. My broken body is now healed and pain free. I pray the same for others and want to be an encouragement.
Feel free to PM anytime.
That goes for anyone else. Hopefully, I will be able to provide solutions for many challenges later in 2020.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/22/20.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hear you guys on keeping drug intake to a minimum. In my case I don't have much choice. With four stents in arteries that feed my heart muscle, if they get blocked again I will be in for a four way bypass and I would really rather avoid that. My blockages were so bad, I couldn't push the mower around my back yard one time without having to stop and take a break. Couldn't walk across the parking lot at the construction job I worked at.... so I had to do something or the prognosis wasn't good. My younger brother had to go in for emergency five way bypass a few years ago and it was nip and tuck for a while... having your chest cracked isn't my idea of a good time.... wink

I was on Simvastatin for a short while, but had problems with it and went on Crestor and have had few problems with it besides the muscle pain, which started about three years ago. Rosuvastatin is the generic replacement for Crestor and much, much cheaper....Thank the Lord I had good insurance when this all came down....

Knowing how the statins work in my case from my doctors' description- they keep platelets flowing when they come to a narrowing by keeping them from sticking together, which reduces blockages. This is partly accomplished by reducing the cholesterol created by your liver and also by working in tandem with blood thinners like small dose aspirin and blood pressure meds....

I did read somewhere that exercise can be effective in helping to reduce the muscle pain effects and I need to get back on an exercise program. I got plenty of exercise when I was working in construction as an electrician, but since I retired a couple years ago, my activity levels have gone down substantially....

Personally, I wouldn't go off medication against doctor's orders for any reason. I'm pretty sure the majority of doctors spend an awful lot of time learning how and what to prescribe for the ills we all come down with. Disregarding all of the knowledge is just a sign of stubborness, which I have been accused of being afflicted with... but not when my life depends on it....

Good input guys,

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/22/20.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The doc kept wanting to put me on statins. I balked for a couple of years and finally relented.

I did not notice any big changes. However, at my next 6-month checkup, my blood sugar was out through the roof. I had been doing so well, I'd stopped testing. It was a complete surprise. I started testing, and I started doing everything I could to lower my readings. I had a grandfather that got eaten up by diabetes. I knew what I was dealing with. There really wasn't any improvement after the next visit.

That's when I started to try the lesser options. After a couple of months of cutting out various foods, vitamins, etc. I finally tried cutting off the statin drug. In less than 72 hours, my blood sugar reading was back to what they'd been a year previous. I waited until the next 6-month checkup and when the glucose reading came back, the doc was amazed. I told him what I'd done.

He was very surprised but realized there was no way I was going back on the drug.

What I can tell you is that along with the glucose readings, a whole bunch of other minor problems disappeared seemingly overnight. The prior year had been bad. There was nothing I could put my finger on. It was just a feeling of getting old and unwell. It could have been just the blood sugar, but my gut tells me the statins were making me sicker than I knew.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
After stent no.1 I would stop eating lard and lard products.

grin, just had labs done the other day, 140 total cholesterol, I dont get it, maybe I just work the bad stuff out, I'm a bacon, butter, pork chop eating sombitch! ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuff makes me ache like I have the flu. May die from heart disease from not taking it, but living with aches from it is not worth it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
an awful lot of the old farts on this forum are probably on cholesterol/plaque reducing statins

You are probably correct.

I think this will change over time though. Post-boomer generations have steadily rolled back the damage the boomers did to the food supply, and they place more emphasis staying active.

That obesity continues to rise is worrying. Less so since the rise is driven by ethnicities other than Whites, but it still taxes our health care system.

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a cure for heart disease.It's called chemical endarterectomy,otherwise known as chelation therapy.

This is a cure an not simply a palliative treatment.

Since Rockefeller changed the course of medicine from a practice of curing to a practice of drug treatment,millions of people have died while making the pharmaceutical companies extraordinarily wealthy.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
my 10 yr ASCVD is a bit high, recommended rx, i said no

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When they took the Xray picture of my heart arities before my stent, if that was a river, you'd have had to portage a canoe. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rte
There is a cure for heart disease.....

Since Rockefeller changed the course of medicine from a practice of curing to a practice of drug treatment,millions of people have died while making the pharmaceutical companies extraordinarily wealthy.

The carpetbagger, started by selling opium and getting lots of people addicted. He was a big time drug pusher that got into industry, making himself"respectable."
The pharma companies are still pushing drugs. The Rx drugs are a far worse problem than the non approved illegal ones in my state.
I've reverted into bad habits and severe stress through life and developed clogged up blood vessels, veins and arteries. Most people don't know how much more effective regular exercise, dietary changes and supplementation is!

I've reversed the same plaques everyone else gets many times over. I've got the solutions if anyone wants them.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/23/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the me too camp, but only take 10mg of Arorvastatin every night which is a very low dosage. My MD sister did tell me that CoQ10 helps contradict the joint and muscle pain issues, so I take a 200mg tablet of that along with my other vitamins every morning. My last blood test had a total cholesterol reading of 121 and the doctor jokingly said that I should be eating more cheese burgers. The wife takes a Crestor every night too and just a 50mg tablet of CoQ10 negates any joint and muscle pain for her. I credit her with feeding us a heck of a lot better than I ever fed myself back when I was single. Back then I ate a lot of processed food, what ever they had cooked at the deli and more pizza than I should have. Steel cut oatmeal (recommended) every morning now with walnuts, blueberries and strawberries. Not as good as a big plate of eggs and bacon, but it is helping to keep me upright.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was getting my physical 4 years ago. I was 65. Doc said he wanted to do a blood test, if my cholesterol was bad he was going to put me on statins.
I said "No, you are not."
He said "Yes you will take them if your numbers are bad."
I said "No I won't I don't trust these tests."

Doc said "Well if you won't take the meds I won't even test you."
And that was the end of that.

Haha,

Statins have given nerve damage to tons of people...loss of muscle tone and physical ability are common side affects.

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.