Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by mooshoo
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
In the waybackwhens, I used to buy the Speer swaged 158 SWCs for next to nothing at a jobber's place just outside Ft. Bragg, and I'd load them over 4.0 231, it was scary how well they shot. I don't have any idea about velocity, but it was a mild load even out of a buddy's M36. I was shooting them out of a M28, so there was about as little recoil as you could imagine. Since the dealer was an RCBS/Speer jobber, he kept prices pretty low. I shot a LOT of those 146 HP half-jackets, too, just upping the charge of 231 or sometimes Blue Dot, if he had any.
I could make that M28 sing............................

i wish you could still get them they were the bomb

https://www.nereloading.com/index.p...mi-wadcutter-hollow-point-250-count.html

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by mooshoo
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
In the waybackwhens, I used to buy the Speer swaged 158 SWCs for next to nothing at a jobber's place just outside Ft. Bragg, and I'd load them over 4.0 231, it was scary how well they shot. I don't have any idea about velocity, but it was a mild load even out of a buddy's M36. I was shooting them out of a M28, so there was about as little recoil as you could imagine. Since the dealer was an RCBS/Speer jobber, he kept prices pretty low. I shot a LOT of those 146 HP half-jackets, too, just upping the charge of 231 or sometimes Blue Dot, if he had any.
I could make that M28 sing............................

i wish you could still get them they were the bomb

https://www.nereloading.com/index.p...mi-wadcutter-hollow-point-250-count.html

I had no idea they were a problem to get. I have several boxes sitting on the shelf. They are a tough to beat light/mid-range load bullet that work with fixed sight Smith's.

One thing I'll say about S&W, after owning a truckload of their fixed sight 38's. I've never had one that wouldn't shoot POA with 158's.

Last edited by RemModel8; 07/25/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RemModel8
One thing I'll saw about S&W, after owning a truckload of their fixed sight 38's. I've never had one that wouldn't shoot POA with 158's.

I will keep that in mind for sure.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by RemModel8
One thing I'll saw about S&W, after owning a truckload of their fixed sight 38's. I've never had one that wouldn't shoot POA with 158's.

I will keep that in mind for sure.

And it's 'say', not saw. My dumb ass fingers.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Got up early today and cast a pile of 150 SWCs with my RCBS 38-150KT mold. Sized and loaded some of them over 6.0gr of AA5 and headed to the farm. Put the first 5 from 40 yards in a 3” group from sitting position shooting my 38/44 outdoorsman. Hadn’t used AA5 in the 38 before but had my measure full from loading 32 H&R this morning. Very clean burning and shoots good enough for me, book says it should be going about 950fps.

Last edited by TheKid; 07/25/20.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just picked up a Ruger LCRx, 3" .38 spec. The DA is very smooth, the SA, not bad.

For the price, that's a good gun.

DF

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Been shooting this one a lot lately. It was my issued duty gun a long time ago. Been sitting in the back of the safe since retirement, unloved. Still a great revolver.
Bob

S&W 67 .38
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RGK; 07/26/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You were heeled right handsome with that one, still are. Thanks for posting that good photograph.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Sorry, double picture post. Dirtfarmer is the only one who owns Colt 38's?

There's a Diamondback, Officers Model Target and Officer's Model Match somewhere here.

The Diamondback is okay (I wish it was a 22 some days). Both Officer's Models are two silly shooting 38's.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Been shooting this one a lot lately. It was my issued duty gun a long time ago. Been sitting in the back of the safe since retirement, unloved. Still a great revolver.
Bob

S&W 67 .38

I've got the very same gun. Bought mine in the early to middle 1980s. Still have it, but haven't shot it in at least ten years.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older S&W revolvers had more attention to detail and were more expensive to make. Features were pinned barrel, chambers recessed for cartridge rims, extra screws in the frame, wood grips with better checkering and "diamond" surrounding grip screws, forged or milled components. Newer guns do not have them making them cheaper to make. Manufacturers refer to such products as more advanced designs.

If you have guns you haven't shot or taken out of safe for long time now is a good time to sell. People want them and laws aren't strict enough yet to makes sales between individuals more difficult or impossible. If you hold on it might be more difficult to sell because as Michael Moore said it is still possible for Trump to win re-election.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI

There's a Diamondback, Officers Model Target and Officer's Model Match somewhere here.

The Diamondback is okay (I wish it was a 22 some days). Both Officer's Models are two silly shooting 38's.

The D frame Colt is a perfect size for the .38 Special. I've owned a couple different Detective Specials, always wanted a Diamondback.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I just picked up a Ruger LCRx, 3" .38 spec. The DA is very smooth, the SA, not bad.

For the price, that's a good gun.

DF

Mine shoots very well

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

The D frame Colt is a perfect size for the .38 Special. I've owned a couple different Detective Specials, always wanted a Diamondback.

Big fan of the Colt D-Frame, myself. I carried a 1950s Detective Special for years.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MOGC
[quote=HawkI][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There are a few of us old timers with the Detective Specials. I've got 3 of them. Love them!! They point well too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I posted the pic in the thread Revolvers for Concealed Carry.

The top gun is a Cobra.

Not meant to be shot a ton, hence the all steel twin under it.

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I posted the pic in the thread Revolvers for Concealed Carry.

The top gun is a Cobra.

Not meant to be shot a ton, hence the all steel twin under it.

A Colt DS will work.
Bob

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That will work, for sure. Very nice old revolver.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

S&W 67 .38

Nice one, my son picked up a Model 15 (68 vintage) that had not been fired much if at all a few weeks ago, and had just picked up a Model 14 that hadn't been fired after it left the factory...both had boxes and all paperwork. The 14 is a real shooter with Federal Wadcutters.

I traded into a Model 67 when they came out, mine had the red ramp front sight and IIRC the rear sight assembly was blackened stainless (it faded to a dark gray after a few years).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Model 67 no dash, round-butted by bench grinder and file, then a checkering file to recut backstrap serrations, and Hogue Bantam grip installed. A HiViz front sight was epoxied in an eighth inch slot cut into where the old one was ground off. A taller rear slight blade, with deepened and widened notch, and an 11 pound trigger rebound spring were installed.

Voila! It’s a Smith collector’s nightmare, but a slightly more compact, easier to carry, nimble handling 4” 38 Special, with an absolutely excellent sight picture for aging eyesight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (163bc, 160user, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,113
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.