Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Bighorn,

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you get healed up as well.

Yeah, I would sell the 454 Casull without question.

I know it will take months to get back in the swing of things as I can't bend my wrists or grip without stretching the stiches. Here's hoping we get ship shape by the fall hunting seasons...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
James,

Don't worry about deer season. Since I am now retired, I can come down and shoot all the deer for you! Hey, what are friends for, right?

Hope you heal up soon! TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Ray,

Appreciate the generous offer but will try to muddle through with perhaps a 221 or 223 this fall. :):):)

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
James, you know those little bullets will just bounce off an Alabama deer. I am sure everyone remembers the monster Flinch shot! And if you get charged by a wounded one, definitely not enough to stop them. Need to use my 375 H&H for that! :-) Hope you get to feeling better soon. Seriously, I have a Rem Mohawk in 6mm if you want to try it. Short and easy to handle with very little recoil. Also have a Ruger compact in 260 but think it kicks a little more. You know your welcome if you need either one. Ray

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nah,

it'll buff out in no time..........

James,
when is a good time to call (assuming you can hold the phone blush)

badger

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by travelingman1
James, you know those little bullets will just bounce off an Alabama deer. I am sure everyone remembers the monster Flinch shot! And if you get charged by a wounded one, definitely not enough to stop them. Need to use my 375 H&H for that! :-) Hope you get to feeling better soon. Seriously, I have a Rem Mohawk in 6mm if you want to try it. Short and easy to handle with very little recoil. Also have a Ruger compact in 260 but think it kicks a little more. You know your welcome if you need either one. Ray

Ray,

I know you're serious about letting me borrow one of your guns and that means a lot to me. I should be fine by November or at least able to shoot one of my milder rigs. I can't imagine any reason my Mickey built 6mmBR wouldn't cull a few deer and it doesn't kick much...

James

Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger
Nah,

it'll buff out in no time..........

James,
when is a good time to call (assuming you can hold the phone blush)

badger

Anytime you can catch me off-line. How 'bout now...

James

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I had both of mine done at the same time and since I had just started a new job and was short on insurance I was back to work in a week working with my hands. After a week of work I was doing very well and working them so much really got me over it very quickly. Get out and do it and it won't take long, if you don't use them it will take much, much longer!

Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IanRobertson
I had both of mine done at the same time and since I had just started a new job and was short on insurance I was back to work in a week working with my hands. After a week of work I was doing very well and working them so much really got me over it very quickly. Get out and do it and it won't take long, if you don't use them it will take much, much longer!

Ian,

Thanks for the advice. Was hoping folks who had actually went thru this, would post from experience. Plan to start working (piddling) in my shop in a few days. Good time to load up shells that I have sized,primed and ready to go. Couple hundred 221's, 223's ,22-250's 6mmBR's, etc...

James

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
james, i am a little anxious that similar surgery may be around the corner for me. got a neuro appointment for monday. got some other apparently neuro issues as well ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
IC B3

Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Fish,

Good luck. The electrical shock test is a hoot..:<

Had the double done this past Thursday. Quit taking the pain meds yesterday. Not to bad just don't have a grip to speak of. Have yet to speak to anyone who said it wasn't worth it...

James

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i went through the emg thang thrice five years ago ... from base of my neck to my toes.
aaaiiiieeeee!
resulted in moving left ulnar nerve in elbow to a new slot. 8-inch scar. but no pain to speak of in recovery ...
now got tremors in both hands ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Good luck Monday Fishy,

I didn't have any tremors in either hand just constant pain,numbness and loss of strength... Doc told my wife there was considerable scar tissue so he had to make a longer cut on the left hand and scrape both tunnels. Didn't understand that comment as I've never had surgery before, will ask him about that when I go back.

Anyhoo, God will provide. You got any extry patience I could borrow ??? smile

James

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ditto on waiting, took me over 5 years before I could do push-ups again shattered my right wrist in five pieces, right at the wrist joint, 6 years ago, gave it 5 years before shooting my Freedom Arms 454...Said pistol now belongs to another lucky hunter. Saddest day of my life, I dearly loved that pistol; sent it back to FA shortly after I purchased it and had them install a 10" barrel. Was the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.

Your right to live in a free society should be based solely on your willingness to defend it! Retired Military Vietnam Vet.
Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

freestate,

I believe it was Tom Petty who penned the song, "The waiting is the hardest part"...

I need a big dose of patience as I usually shoot at least a couple times a week and near daily when I get a new rig and I'm doing load development. I've got a 221 Fireball and a 223 (both LVSF's) that I had just bedded and started load development. Really itching to get with it, as my last groups with the Fireball were amazing (to me anyway) 40gr V-Max/Moly scooting along @ 3475fps with a graing under book load max of AA-1680. Shot two 5 shot groups the evening before I had surgery and they were both one-hole groups, in the mid .3's IIRC...

Never owned a 454 Casull but did have a 44mag Super Redhawk that liked full charges of H-110 behind 300 gr XTP's. Those loads gave my wrists a workout. Don't think I'll go back down that road...

Hope all is well with your wrist now.

James

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this might sound silly, but get your wife to lightly whack your shooting sholuder to see if any "shock" pain hits your wrist. i'd go ahead now and try a .22. i figure the more you do within reason, the quicker the recovery ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

My wife would love to whack me!! She's been great through all this . She told me she was keeping a running tally and would expect a payback one day...:):) Wives, you gotta love 'em...

BTW, My right hand feels pretty good. They left one has a much longer cut and has busted open between the stiches in two spots. Don't think I'll be grabbing a forend or anything else with it for a while. A man's gotta know his limits...

James

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you always can rest that forearm on sandbags and keep that trigger finger in shape.
my doc says i've got classic cts symptoms in both hands/wrists. other stuff is mystery ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For what its worth, I did not listen to my doctor and started shootng and doing push ups agin too soon after surgery, and now I am paying for it.

shoot the dreaded factory stuff for a while. it'll give you more brass to work with when you finally get the green light.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Cheaha Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fish280
you always can rest that forearm on sandbags and keep that trigger finger in shape.
my doc says i've got classic cts symptoms in both hands/wrists. other stuff is mystery ...

That's probably what I'll do (the sandbag thing) as cabin fever has taken hold. Will start w/ the trusty 452 American-22rf first and work up to the Fireball.

Just get it over with and have 'em both done at the same time. Half the cost,recovery time,etc... I like the mystery of the dispensation of Grace, other mysteries I don't care for...:)

James

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 44 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,557
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.