Print Thread
Hop To
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Well, she went inland. Always good when that happens. Well, it is for everybody else along the Gulf Cost that is. Not so much for those who live where it goes in. We got a big piece of Harvey in 2017. We had 125 MPH winds but not a lot of damage.

The idiots on Weather Channel are doing their usual lean into the wind act. One of these days a piece of tin's gonna cut one of them in half on live TV. The Weather Channel reminds me of Dan Rather giving his blow by blow account of Hurricane Carla in 1961. He was in Galveston, 120 miles up the coast from here. Carla hit here, not Galveston. Oh it was a big hurricane and they had hurricane force winds in Galveston. In fact they had hurricane force winds all the way from Corpus Christi to Sabine pass. But they were like 75-90 MPH. I was a kid here and the center of the storm passed over here. We had winds of 140-150 MPH and a storm surge of 21 feet at Port O'Connor. Port O'Connor is a mile from the Gulf. It was 18 feet here at the head of the bay 20 miles north. We had gusts to 175. But Dan Rather got promoted to CBS Corporate over his coverage of that storm. Before that he was a news reporter for KHOU Channel 11 Galveston. I've known what a Bull [bleep] he was since then. I think he's the Weather Channel's Mentor.

They're talking about life threatening storm surge now. I think it's suppose to be about 4-5 feet. That's really not life threatening unless you intentionally go surfing in it. Then I guess you could die. But you'd be a real Darwin Award winner if you did. I think I'll go for a drive by the bay front. We're supposed to get 5 feet of surge here. How I don't know, we're 250 miles from the center of the storm.

I love the Weather Channel. They make every minor tropical event sound like the Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900. Then they wonder why we don't believe their BS about Global Warming.

Anyway, I don't mean to down play this hurricane. It's plenty serious if you're caught in its path. It's just the Weather Channel's Drama. I wonder, did they ever hear the Fairy Tale about the little boy that cried wolf so many times that when the real wolf showed up no body came to help.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/25/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Filaman
Well, she went inland. Always good when that happens. Well, it is for everybody else along the Gulf Cost that is Not so much for those who live where it goes in. We got a big piece of Harvey in 2017. The idiots on Weather Channel are doing their usual lean into the wind BS. One of these days a piece of tin's gonna cut one of them in half on live TV.

They're talking about life threatening storm surge now. I think it's suppose to be about 4-5 feet. That's really not life threatening unless you intentionally go surfing in it. Then I guess you could die. But you'd be a real Darwin Award winner if you did. I think I'll go for a drive by the bay front. We're supposed to get 5 feet of surge here. How I don't know, we're 250 miles from the center of the storm.

I love the Weather Channel. They make every minor tropical event sound like the Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900. Then they wonder why we don't believe their BS about Global Warming.

Anyway, I don't mean to down play this hurricane. It's plenty serious if you're caught in its path. It's just the Weather Channel's Drama. I wonder, did they ever hear the Fairy Tale about the little boy that cried wolf so many times that when the real wolf showed up no body came to help.

I don’t listen to them for that very reason

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope, I listen to NOAA and the local fellers.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Well I have direct TV and that's what's on it, so not much choice. Anyway, I just drove down to the bay front and the tide is down from earlier. The Storm's over land now so it'll start to die pretty quickly.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/25/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It will be a bad season for tar balls.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
...🎶 “they got hurricane parties every time it blows...“ 🎶

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Did Jim Cantore's mommy finally let him out of the house? Was he masked up?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I lived in the Rio Grande Valley the local news would go to South Padre Island down there on the by Port Isabel and get in a hotel on the beach. They would get some place with a window from ceiling to floor. They would be reporting from a nice a dry place. The national news would always be outside in the storm. If I recall correctly one got hit in the head with debri.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the talk of Port O’Connor takes me back to Hurricane Allen, 40 years ago. Man! Time flies!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
... Anyway, I don't mean to down play this hurricane. It's plenty serious if you're caught in its path. It's just the Weather Channel's Drama. I wonder, did they ever hear the Fairy Tale about the little boy that cried wolf so many times that when the real wolf showed up no body came to help.

I sent an email to this effect ^^^^^ to one of the local news stations about 10 years ago. Always crying wolf about "Tornado Watches", dancing around, drama, etc... And then when it is all said and done, max damage was that someone's trampoline blew over... Received back a very pious response stating that it was "their responsibility" to ensure that everyone is aware of the POTENTIAL damage that COULD be done IF a tornado might actually materialized...

Basically, drama sells...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, lots of flooding around. 8-10” in most places. I lost a ton of shingles on my house. I was on the roof at midnight In the worst of it nailing down tarps to keep water from pouring in. Not fun in 50 mph winds snd blinding rain.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We got lots of rain last night and been off and on all day. Lots of wind damage and flooding in certain areas, we're still not in the clear! For being a cat1 I was surprised by the amount of wind damage compared to other storms that have hit us in the past.

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The idiots on Weather Channel are doing their usual lean into the wind act. One of these days a piece of tin's gonna cut one of them in half on live TV.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Holy Chit Mon, I bet that left a mark!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.