Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The minor hurricane down on the coast created a pleasant, breezy day and night up here. Didn’t hit 90 yesterday, a breezy 75 this morning. Ideal front porch weather. I was up by 4. Sit out front sipping on my morning caffeine, when I’m out on the porch in the dark I leave the light off so as to see and not be seen. Nothing sinister in that, just affords me a little privacy is all.

Front door open to let the breeze in, subdued lighting inside, I go inside to fix another mug. Then all of a sudden Cleburne goes off on something out front. The last time this happened was just two days ago. Cleburne had a big ol’ hissing possum holed up under my Corolla, had to pick him up and carry him inside to shut him up.

So I look out the front door and..... sonofab$tch!..... there’s some guy standing 15ft outside my open front door in the dark.... held in check by Cleburne. Now Cleburne ain’t a biter that I’ve seen (which is good) but he is a good barker (which is also good).

I try to keep the j-frame handy and I step out front, I’m a lefty so it’s in my hand down sorta behind my leg where he can’t see it. No worries, his attention was on Cleburne who moves to a lateral position when I step up to the doorway.

The guy is 6ft, maybe 20, by his accent local Hispanic, His story is his friends have dumped him in the neighborhood and he doesn’t know where he is. I ask where he is trying to get to and he names a intersection maybe a hour’s walk away. He asks me if I have a light, which means he has weed, and then he asks me if I have any water which I happen to have a case right by the door - dogwalking supply. I hand him a bottle.

He thanks me and walks off.

I weren’t really alarmed, no adrenaline dump, but the whole time I’m thinking “fugg, I hope I don’t have to shoot this guy” and mentally calculating how I was gonna bring the gun to bear if he tried to rush me.

Didn’t happen if it was gonna, Cleburne had his attention, without Cleburne he coulda just walked right in if that was his intent.

Gotta love a good watchdog 😎

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Gotta love a good watchdog 😎

You do. But 2 are better. We have 2 big labs and I don't really worry if the wife is home alone. I know they are there with her.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cleburne gets an extra ice cream cone today!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good dog!!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Cleburne is a squared away dog.
May not be a aggressive latch into you dog.
But he did his job as a watchdog.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good job Cleburne! A good barker. Now, with a name like that I am looking for a dog that is good in combat. He ought to draw blood!

Bad guys hate a guard dog more than anything else, cameras, door locks, you name it they don 't like a guard dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thought this was going to be another thread about Safariman

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Cleburne is a squared away dog.
May not be a aggressive latch into you dog.
But he did his job as a watchdog.

Sure did and he did it well.

Buy that dog a bag of good beef jerky Birdie!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dogs hate brown people.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
Dogs hate brown people.

So do I.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good Dog!

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cleburne is a keeper. Glad he found a good home with ya.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike, good to hear. I like good dogs. Hate to hijack but a few days ago I saw a bunch of buzzards, in one bunch flying in huge circles. Up high and I saw none landing. Best I could count was around 60 in the bunch. They kept circling and moving away to the South until out of sight. Any ideas on what was happening?

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mr Slum said dogs don't like brown people, maybe in jest. But we have had two blue heeler crossbreeds...and they really don't like brown people. Nothing in either dog's history to indicate they were mistreated as pups. Normally these dogs just quietly watch everything but do nothing, but when a brown guy gets near the truck, they put their front paws up on the bed rail and their hackles stand up, and the brown guy gets the lazer stinkeye. No barking, just the stare of doom. I wonder about that and what triggers the dogs. At the lumber yard, the white kids just walk right up to the truck and put stuff in the back, dogs tails wag?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Extra belly scratching for Cleyburn,good boy
Never really know if he was indeed lost or looking for something else.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
Mike, good to hear. I like good dogs. Hate to hijack but a few days ago I saw a bunch of buzzards, in one bunch flying in huge circles. Up high and I saw none landing. Best I could count was around 60 in the bunch. They kept circling and moving away to the South until out of sight. Any ideas on what was happening?

Thermals

See it nearly daily here, maybe I have happy buzzards that like soar. We have varied topography that may lend to it.

Next, you’ll be astonished that you looked up and seen the moon actually during the day.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dogs hate brown people.

Especially dogs named Cleburne.

When I was a kid our regular mailman was a white guy. He never had problems with the neighborhood dogs. The guy who occasionally filled in for him was back. You could always tell when he was doing the route, every dog in the neighborhood would be raising hell. I don't think dogs know what race is, they just know when someone who looks like a stranger is in their AO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Dogs hate brown people.

Especially dogs named Cleburne.

When I was a kid our regular mailman was a white guy. He never had problems with the neighborhood dogs. The guy who occasionally filled in for him was back. You could always tell when he was doing the route, every dog in the neighborhood would be raising hell.

laughing, we had a ‘garbage man’ that looked like Jimi Hendrix when I was a kid. Our doberman used to go full-blown caveman k-9.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Rott passed away a couple years ago (great dog) so I am down to two German Shepherds. Everyone has the same look on their face when I answer the door and they are looking at the dogs. Some just nod and back up to the street. Sure miss the Rott smartest dog I have ever seen. She would sit and study a door then go open it.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Dogs hate brown people.

So do I.

Me too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.