Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
LOL! I dint have a religious revelation, but jumped into the deep end of the pool years ago with a 7mm Weatherby. 3,228 fps with 150 TTSX has never failed. A hunt buddy of mine shoots an A-Bolt 7mm Rem Mag and used Hornady factory ammo until it didn’t shoot well. He thought the ammo changed and went to Ballistic Tips and wasn’t happy with those. (I suspect throat erosion as MD has explained previously) He had a friend of his load some 150 TTSX after witnessing the performance of mine. Very accurate in his rifle and deadly on deer and elk. I asked him how fast they were going and he has no idea except they shoot great in his rifle. His friend told him they were not a max load, so I suspect 2,900 fps or so. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
A lot of handoading hunters believe 3000 fps is magic--and anything less ain't. (As my late friend Stuart Carty in Idaho once said, "There's something about all those zeros!")

My experience is there ain't anything magic about all those zeroes.... :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A lot of handoading hunters believe 3000 fps is magic--and anything less ain't. (As my late friend Stuart Carty in Idaho once said, "There's something about all those zeros!")

My experience is there ain't anything magic about all those zeroes.... :-)

I remember Bob talking about Stuart a little. Sometimes it is fun to go fast though JB! grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I load for my nephews Tikka Hunter that my brother purchased from Keith/BoltActionMan. (great guy to do business or bullschit with)
Nephew is 15, brother is 50, I'm 51. Started him off with 120TTSX and 4350. Shoots about like a hot 7/08 or mild 270. As he grows, so will the bullet weight and powder charge.

Sean
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't read all 43 pages, and I would guess the article has went to press; but I will give my input anyway. I started hunting with a .30-06, bought a 7RM because I wanted a gun that shot flatter, hit just as hard, and didn't kick a lot. Mission accomplished, although I am not sure it hits any harder than the .30-06 which never left me wanting. Really, the smart play would've been to put a better BDC reticle scope on the '06.

I've used it to kill Pronghorn, Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Elk. Mostly used 140-150 grain bullets with one 162 ELD-X at ranges from 30 yards to 400 and change. I'm 38. If I was to do it again, I would buy a .300 and shoot 180's. The performance would (probably) be the same, except for getting kicked more. Reason being, I wouldn't have to stand on the .300 to get the velocity I'm shooting for (no pun intended), and I would only have to buy .30 caliber bullets. Edit: //As an aside, I have used a .300 Win on Deer and it was the same performance as my 7, using a 150 TSX. //

I use the 7 for everything except varmints and Coyotes, but have shot them with it too.

Last edited by TakeEm; 07/22/20.

Isaiah 6:8

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I too have contemplated a 300 Win Mag, particularly for big heavy game, like moose of the larger African plains game. I dream of hunting Alaska or British Columbia, and think of how a 300 Win Mag with 200gr Partitions at 2850fps would be better for grizzly or brown bear. This seems to be getting more into a specialized role though as opposed to a general use big game rifle, and for the very few times I would go on these hunts (probably once if I am so blessed), my 7mm Rem Mag could do the job. I think of Les Bowman, who was heavily involved in the development of the 7mm Rem Mag, said his clients, on the whole, shot noticeably better with 7mm mags than with 300s. John Sundra is a huge proponent of the 7mms, and has said they will do nicely for any non dangerous game.
"The 7 mm magnum, I feel is close to perfect as the caliber for all the lesser African game, including, I might say, the leopard and possibly the lion, for all our North American species that live in mountains, and for all the Asiatic types of both high and low terrain that weigh under a ton or generally don't eat people. ..the sum total of experience is to lead me into the statement that for game from seventy-five to a thousand pounds, especially at ranges beyond rock-throwing yardage this category of cartridge is the most useful we have. It hurts you little, hurts the game a great deal." -Warren Page
Of course, Mr. Page was shooting his rifle, Old Betsy#1 in 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum which is similar to the 7mm Rem Mag
If I do get a 300 Win Mag, it would be simply because I want one, not because I need one.
According to Dave Petzal, The present Shooting Editor for Field & Stream, "Page was essentially a one-gun hunter. He used lots of different stuff, but the majority of his big-game trophies were killed with a single rifle-a 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum. Page got this rifle very early in his career-1949 or so. He called it "Old Betsy," and used only one handload for everything, a 175 Nosler semi-spitzer bullet at 3,050 fps. Throughout her career, Old Betsey wore only one scope, a 4x Redfield with a medium crosshairs.
Statements like this remind me that my 7mm Rem Mag is truly capable of everything I need in a big game rifle, and does so with relatively mild recoil. To me, that is, as Larry Potterfield would say, the nearly perfect hunting cartridge.
If I do get a 300 Win Mag, it would only be because I WANT one, not because I need one. There's nothing wrong with appreciating that cartridge's merit , that makes it a nearly perfect hunting round in it's own right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of people mention moose to justify larger caliber magnums but a 7mm RM worked just fine for me. Although I only have a sample of one it was a one shot, center of chest from the front, drt. The 175 gr Speer Grand Slam cut the liver in half and he dropped in place.

Elk on the other hand seem to be tougher to take without a run with the 7 RM. Never have had a drop right there experience with the 7 Rem Mag. Switched to the .338 Win Mag back in 1999 and that has worked much better. It's 338 caliber minimum now when elk hunting for me.

God Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If this is still a going thing, I'm 65 & have only ever owned one 7mm Rem Mag. for about 2 years or so. It was an old Mauser action 1000 yd gun in a monster of a laminated stock. It weighed at least 15 lbs, likely more so it never got hunted with. Most of the hunting I did was in semi-mountainous deep woods so no reason to reach out much beyond 150 to 200 yards. I wasn't impressed with its performance out to 300 yds. & just couldn't grow to like the monstrosity so it went DTFR. Never bothered with another. Never felt the need for another. Most of my other belted magnums went DTFR as well. Still have a few in 2 calibers other than 7mm, but they're just for fun.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kaboku68
My uncle who is a wise man and a great hunter used to say that a young guy who is in good shape and has great speed and endurance generally will do very well in a street fight. It is that cruiserweight champ. The 7 Remington is the cruiserweight champion. I have three 7 Remingtons but I have only used two of them to hunt with recently. I am 51 years old.
I know some great hunting guides like Kirk and Cole Ellis out of Devil's Mountain Lodge that use the 7 Remington magnum exclusively. They have never had a problem.

I have used the 7 Rem Magnum to great effect and only had one issue that was due to operator error and a freak September snow storm. When I was 19 years old, I shot a 55 inch bull moose at less than 20 yards with 175 grain partitions and did what I always thought was priority when I was growing up of busting down the shoulder of the moose. The upper should shot had been dynamite on four moose that I had shot earlier. The moose was covered with about 2 inches of frozen ice armor-we were being pounded by freezing rain- and the bullets weren't opening and the weather conditions were so miserable that the shock didn't seem to work as well. I shot the moose four times through the shoulder and then when the moose figured out that I was the cause of the pain and squared up to charge me, I shot him right between the eyes. I was out of ammo and while I was butchering up the moose by myself, I saw a sow grizzly and two grown 2 year old cubs at about 350 yards reading the smells of the wind that was blowing in their direction. I was 1/2 mile from the camp on Tyone Creek and had no more rifle ammo and had left my trusty 44 Rem Mag blackhawk at camp. I thought how I might be stranded in and have to walk the 45 miles out to Eureka and I figured that I better scare off those grizzlies. One of my mentors, Al Taylor, told me that bears don't have the best eyesight and upon occasion will run from what they think is a bigger bear. I saw an 8ft dead spruce tree with a root structure that was near the moose. The bears came closer and closer. Finally, the big straw colored sow was only 45 yards away from the killsite. It was about 3:30PM but the snow squall and freezing rain was continuing to blast everything. I picked up the tree with the roots up in the air about 10ft up and carried it directly at the big sow. I yelled bloody murder and the sow thinking she had ran into a true 10ft monster, popped her jaws once, turned a 180 and started running flat out away from me. She swatted her two cubs who got out ahead of her and I watched them disappear into the snow/sleet covered hills 500 yards away. They never came back.

We ended up trading that 7 Rem Mag for another Ruger blackhawk to Al Taylor who shot a 9 foot brown bear that was trying to kill the chickens in his daughter's chicken coop. Al who had used 30/30s most of his life, commented,"It blew some of the lungs out of that durty booger." He used it to dispatch four more problem bears before Al passed on to his homestead in the sky.

One of the best moose hunters and a genuinely Alaskan sized character used a 7 Remington Mag in a Sako Finnbear to kill probably over 100 moose. Pat Madros Sr., was a giant of a man who took me under his wing when I moved out and taught in Nulato. I will never forget how he could carry a full barrel of gas on his shoulder from his truck to his boat. Pat was a Koyukon Athabaskan was about 6ft 1 and 280lbs and had hands the size of those Costco rotisserie chickens. He was a Navy vet and a big supporter of the local school. Pat kept the village in order. Pat knew every channel on the Yukon, the Koyukuk, the Kaiyuh and most other rivers in the region. He could run those rivers in the dark at night and I went with him. He would use that Sako to take down moose for his entire clan and for folks who might not be good enough to "harvest" moose cleanly. He was dead nuts good with that rifle. He could call them in and he always had so many honey holes that you would see 10-20 big moose per day. You could get very picky hunting with him because he knew the country so well. He would hunt in many different areas of the river. I saw him personally take 7 different bulls with it. His rifle was accurate from 50 yards to 400 yards and would put the moose down right there. Pat often would allow the people he was hunting with to take the shot and then like a guide would provide a quick followup that was finish the moose. Pat knew all of the stories of the river and would talk about hunters, strange creatures, spirits, and legendary stories of the past. I left Nulato and moved into Fairbanks because my son decided that he liked computers and technology and my father and the rest of my family had moved there. Sometimes, when I am alone in the woods. I hear him. He had a big booming voice when in town but would speak softly in the woods showing his great respect to the land.

I guess just saying "I'm 51 and I use a like 7mm RM" would have been too easy.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
All I know about a 7 mag is when they ask what you hunt with at a deer camp and you say 7 mag, they all nod their heads in approval. Same with a 30-06.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never been to deer camp. Mostly just shoot them a few yards off the jeep trail and load them in the back. Maybe have to try it someday and tell them boys "I don't always shoot a 7 mag but when I do..."

God Bless America
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
I've never been to deer camp. Mostly just shoot them a few yards off the jeep trail and load them in the back. Maybe have to try it someday and tell them boys "I don't always shoot a 7 mag but when I do..."

Well put....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have owned a couple of 7MM Remington magnums. The last one I took only a couple game animals with before trading it off. It was a 1974 BDL and the two animals were a Utah Mulie and a Wyoming Elk. The Elk at around 90 yards and the Mule deer at just under 400. Worked just fine but it was mostly a safe queen.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I like mine to 1/2 Km or so on sheep and caribou and then with 175 Nosler Partitions Moose and Bear capable as well. Pretty good rig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHEYfGy0w0w&t=102s

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a 7 Rem. Mag. that I bought off a Gun Broker Auction for $ I 205.00 and have no idea how many rounds have gone down the tube. I've shot everythng from 140 grain Ballistic Tips to 168 grain Bergers and all in between. It really shoots 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips the best. I love the Noslers and will soon try some Partitions. About 7 years back it went full tilt Bozo on me. It had always been one of my most accurate rifles. Then it opened up all of a sudden to 5 inch groups. I mean one day it's shooting MOA and the next 5 inch groups. WTH!!! I immediately suspected my barrel was burned. I always jump to stupid conclusions and have to sit back and make myself think. I went back to the range with a different load that had always shot good. Same thing, 5 inch groups. I put it back in the safe and forgot about it for awhile. Then I was reading something about some guy that had the same thing happen. And he pointed out that if it's the barrel it's not going to do that from one day to another. BINGO! My brain kicked in. His problem was his scope mount. So I started checking things out in detail. I looked over the mounts and scope. All looked fine. Then I got my screw driver out. This had Weaver style claw mounts on the rings. When I tried to tighten one of the claw mounts to the base it wouldn't tighten up. I thought it was stripped. But on further examination I found it was Broke. It completely fooled me. Everything looked normal until I put a screw driver in it. I bought another set of rings and re-zeroed it and everything reset. It was back to shooting sub MOA. This is something i knew, always check for loose or broken mounting bolts. But in the heat of the moment I suspected the worst and forgot to check things out thoroughly. I suspected the worst Instead of looking for the most obvious.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/29/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some gun writer once compared assuming the worst with ANY rifle that quits shooting is something like assuming a pickup that won't start needs a new battery or starter motor--when the problem might very well be the cable connections to the battery need cleaning....

Of course, he made that comparison because he sometimes assumed the worst, instead of checking the simple stuff first.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like Talley bases and rings. My rifles hold zero better than the Leupold windage adjustable bases and rings I used before I switched. I have one set of the Leupold dual turn in rings on a Kleinguenther K-15 seven mag. The duals have been good, rarely have to adjust when checking rifle.

I assume the big caliber rifles are hell on mounts. They probably don’t use variable scopes on them.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Some gun writer once compared assuming the worst with ANY rifle that quits shooting is something like assuming a pickup that won't start needs a new battery or starter motor--when the problem might very well be the cable connections to the battery need cleaning....

Of course, he made that comparison because he sometimes assumed the worst, instead of checking the simple stuff first.

Oh yes. And you have to look carefully too. But I went into that wiith my head in that warm dark place. I knew better than to think the barrel went south over night. But sometimes its easy to get off on a wild tangent when you know a rifle shoots better than that and all of a sudden it goes to hell in a hand basket. Sometimes it leaves your head behind. I was so proud of that rifle. I got it cheap and it shot so good, then whammo! Everything goes south.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/03/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.