Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Originally Posted by Wesley2
I’m just amazed folks still gut deer for reasons other than lightening the load on a drag or if it’s real hot and you can’t dress them in an hour or so.

I haven’t gutted any of the 150 or so I’ve killed in the last 15 years and the ones I’ve eaten have tasted just fine and nobody else has complained either that I’ve given them away to. Of course I don’t gut shoot them either.

If cleaning them myself, I just leave the guts in the body cavity. If taking to a processor, let them deal with the guts.

I bet some of you still cut the tarsal glands off too as soon as they hit the ground.

I'm not inclined to leave a deer hanging to age for a week or more with the guts in said deer. YMMV

Aging would be another good reason to gut them but I’m certainly not setup for that.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
In a single year, I may dress on the spot, cut-up on the spot, move deer a couple hundred yards before dressing or get out whole via cart, quad or truck.
So, I guess the answer is, "it depends".

If I can get them out whole (with innards) I like the added benefit of placing entrails prezactly where I want in hopes of filling bonus coyote tags. whistle

Coyote tags?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
In a single year, I may dress on the spot, cut-up on the spot, move deer a couple hundred yards before dressing or get out whole via cart, quad or truck.

If I can get them out whole (with innards) I like the added benefit of placing entrails prezactly where I want in hopes of filling bonus coyote tags. whistle

Coyote tags?

whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out west, deer (and certainly elk) are normally cut up on the spot, so this question is kind of a moot point for me. Deer killed somewhat close to a road which are to be brought out whole are gutted at the kill site. Exceptions may be if a road is close by, then it is only to keep the body cavity clean. No need to drag unnecessary weight or keep the heat in longer than needed.

I have seen zero indication of a gut pile scaring off deer. I've actually seen them eating whatever was undigested, out of the pile.

Honestly, I have never seen this kind of debate come up in my circle of friends. This is just how it's done out here I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Coyote tags?

whistle

Gotcha. If it was the sarcastic emoji I'd of not questioned it...but the whistling one didn't click in as quickly.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Right on Scott.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depends

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never met a single local in SE AL that would clean their own deer.

I used to quarter mine where they fell. Locals on the lease would get so upset, bitching about the gutpile scaring other deer off.

I finally explained to them, that taking one of these deer in still intact, you are looking at $50 just to have them skin and gut it. Big buck or little doe, you are in for 50 as soon as it hits their door.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree with Scott, there is no "one size fits all" answer. The post is in "Deer Hunting" forum, so that should encompass Whitetail, Mule Deer and Black Tail deer habitat with a plethora of conditions.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Never met a single local in SE AL that would clean their own deer.

This fascinates me.

WWP53D
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As was said up the page, it depends. I've done it all ways. But I usually just throw 'em in the truck and bring 'em back to camp. Then I string 'em up head up (Found that the hide comes off easier) start skinning down to the front legs, then put a smooth rock or a golf ball in the hide and tie around it with a rope long enough to reach my vehicle. Then pull the hide off with the vehicle. Then quarter it throwing the meat into my 150 quart cooler with ice. The last place I hunted for 8 years was only 30 minutes from the house so I usually brought it home to do that because we didn't have a camp.

I do all this out of laziness, but I've never been able to detect any difference in taste in the meat from one I gutted when they hit the ground. Also, I like clean running water available when I gut it. washing the body cavity out immediately does more good once the body cavity is open to the air. Now if it's going to be 2-3 hours before I get to where I'm going to gut it, then I'll field dress it.

I saw a couple of you mention you did this to keep debris out of the body cavity. But more importantly it keeps a lot of hair out of the meat if you skin it first before gutting. Hair is a biotch to get off the meat.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/27/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I gut em in the woods unless there’s a creek nearby. If there’s a creek, I gut near there to have the luxury of rinsing the deer out in the creek. Maybe that’s bad , but how I do it.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Coyote tags?

Yeah, what PC state is he hunting in?

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gut piles scaring off deer is an old wives tale, shot several out of the same stand where a deer was field dressed the previous day. I've also field dressed in camp, dumped the innards into a trash barrel and carted to a spot on the property that we don't hunt. Usually by the next day the coyotes have things all cleaned up, surprising how fast they work.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have absolutely no desire to gut my animals anywhere other than where they died.
I also have never paid someone else to gut and process my animals whether deer of elk.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Filaman

Coyote tags?

Yeah, what PC state is he hunting in?

Some of y'all need to outsert the stick. smile

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The way I hang deer after skinning, I leave all the guts inside the chest cavity. Then I remove the backstraps, shoulders, neck meat, tenderloins, and finally the hams.

The guts never leave the chest. Then what is left is hauled off to a gut pile away from camp for the buzzard (aka county road crew) and coyotes.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 07/27/20.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is thread is interesting to me, but not very relevant because I've never hunted deer east of the Mississippi. In my stomping grounds deer, with few exceptions, are gutted where they fall. Then again, if there is no road close by, I may use the gutless method on one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not gutting them right away seems like a Southern thing which given the warmer temperatures down there, seems just the opposite of what most think is the best meat handling practice. Innards weigh 21-23% of the deer’s live weight and I don’t want to drag out any more weight than I need to.

I wish that I’d kept a piece that a friend of mine sent me on amateur wild game processing. According to the piece, these guys took a beef cow out in the woods, shot it back in the swamp, dragged it through the dirt, hung it it the sun, cut it into hunks on the garage floor with some well meaning friends, let the dog lick it and freezer burned it. The conclusion was that yes, venison tastes just like beef.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What’s with the washing out of the cavity? The only thing left inside there after gutting that I eat is the tenderloins, which on our deer are about the size of a ballpark frank and they’re easily removed and put in the ziplock with the heart.

I just don’t understand what a couple twigs or leaves in there is going to mess up. Of course I admit that I have zero use for the ribs

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,954
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.