Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just finished watching The Battle of Chosin Reservoir on Netflix.
Mesmerizing is the first word that comes to mind.
Like most Vets, I suppose, I was vaguely aware of the battle, but really knew very little about it. I think its safe to say that nowdays, few people have even heard of it. People today are too self-absorbed and disdainful of history and the sacrifices of others to even give it a passing thought.
Pity, that. The show increased my knowledge of what happened there a hundred fold, and my respect for the men who fought there is endless.
Not just fighting the Chinese, but the unrelenting cold, the shortage of life-sustaining supplies and equipment, and the woefully inadequate resources available to treat the wounded.

Well worth watching.

It did, however, elevate my utter contempt for the panty-waisted simp rioters, cry babies, and predatory scumbags that infest our country today by a considerable margin.

Last edited by Uncle_Alvah; 07/27/20.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
GOD bless our Korean War vets. Harshest conditions our men and women have ever faced. Maybe any military ever.

I hate Truman

GOD Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I met one about six years ago. He had been locked out of his house all night in freezing windchill conditions. His neighbors called at 0530 hours and tossed him a jacket over the fence. I called the ambulance for the old Marine in his 90's. He wanted to stay and talk with me, another vet,though Army, instead of going to the hospital. I got to joke with him saying, "If anyone could survive last night, it would be you." Helluva Man.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Just finished watching The Battle of Chosin Reservoir on Netflix.
Mesmerizing is the first word that comes to mind.
Like most Vets, I suppose, I was vaguely aware of the battle, but really knew very little about it. I think its safe to say that nowdays, few people have even heard of it. People today are too self-absorbed and disdainful of history and the sacrifices of others to even give it a passing thought.
Pity, that. The show increased my knowledge of what happened there a hundred fold, and my respect for the men who fought there is endless.
Not just fighting the Chinese, but the unrelenting cold, the shortage of life-sustaining supplies and equipment, and the woefully inadequate resources available to treat the wounded.

Well worth watching.

It did, however, elevate my utter contempt for the panty-waisted simp rioters, cry babies, and predatory scumbags that infest our country today by a considerable margin.

I just looked for this on Netflix and couldn't find it?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
an old (as in age) friend of mine did the whole ride. he said when they landed at inchon they had summer uniforms on. their winter stuff got lost in transit. having lived a year in korea, i could not imagine. that place gets cold cold and the wind from up north is brutal.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Does anyone have a link to the movie in question?

GOD Bless America
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My dad was part of the Marine force at Chosin. We were fortunate to attend the 50th anniversary reunion at Camp Pendleton in 2000. Those there were just average joes who rose to the occasion. My dad never liked the cold after his days in Korea. At minus 20 below zero, yes, that’s the coldest Americans have ever fought in. From burning everything to keep it from the Chinese to carrying out the dead, those Marines got the job done. As Chesty Puller said, “Retreat hell, we engaged the enemy in a different direction.”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My dad was there never would talk about it except he did say the cold was worse than the commies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I met a former marine who was there. He said it was so cold they stacked up the dead Chinese bodies instead of trying to dig fix holes to build their fighting positions. That's pretty darn cold.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Two uncles were in the 7th Infantry Division, and both lived through it. According to the family, they were never the same after coming home.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Quak

This says it was on for a year and removed, but that can't be accurate, I just watched it..... https://usa.newonnetflix.info/info/80991256

Apparently there are a couple versions but that the one I watched....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My father was there, He never talked about it until I came back from Iraq. Even then only vaguely, Before then I did not know he'd been wounded (Purple Heart) I did know about the Bronze Star with "V" device.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Originally Posted by Quak

This says it was on for a year and removed, but that can't be accurate, I just watched it..... https://usa.newonnetflix.info/info/80991256

Apparently there are a couple versions but that the one I watched....

I just checked again right now, can't find it on a Netflix search.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My late cousin was there as a young marine barely out of high school. He told one story. They used to heat up water on a fire for the midday meal. An enemy soldier would take pot shots at them from a cave disrupting the meal. They could never grab a rifle and shoot as the guy would duck back in the cave. This happened for several days. Finally one marine had enough. He set up a rifle on sandbags aimed at the spot where as my cousin put it "Luke Gook" would be and when he fired on them the next day the marine reached over and pulled the trigger and took him out.

Cousin was wounded in leg had to have some work done which affected his veins causing him to wear support stockings the rest of his life.

Last edited by Azshooter; 07/28/20.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Knew several. One was my original company 1st Sgt. wore his wool class A’s under his utilities while he was there. All he had other than a field jacket.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/28/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It might be on Amazon Prime.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

There's a recent book out, published in 2018. "On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides. Very good read.

Edit: Can't get the link to Amazon to embed. Sorry about that.

Last edited by tjm10025; 07/28/20.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tjm10025

There's a recent book out, published in 2018. "On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides. Very good read.

Edit: Can't get the link to Amazon to embed. Sorry about that.

Hampton Sides is a good author. I appreciate his work.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by g5m
It might be on Amazon Prime.

It is on Prime, just found it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I remember three Korea vets well, a high school Social Studies teacher with a metal plate in his head from a battle injury, a supervisor at a tire factory where I worked as a maintenance man, and a landlord who had been a medical corpsman. All of them were great patriots, but they all had emotional issues. PTSD is not a recent thing- - - - -they just changed the names a few times. It wet from "Shell Shock" to "combat fatigue", to a few other names before the current buzzword became popular. All of them got much less care and concern than they needed by the cowards too lily-livered to put on a uniform and defend their freedom.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,668
Posts18,493,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.