Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Had a pard tell me hunters in his locale don’t even know how to run a knife on a game animal. They wear them on a belt only for show.
Everything goes from the field into a rig, and off to a processor. Guts inside.
YMMV
😎

This perplexes me more than a pete53 paragraph.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Out west, deer (and certainly elk) are normally cut up on the spot, so this question is kind of a moot point for me. Deer killed somewhat close to a road which are to be brought out whole are gutted at the kill site. Exceptions may be if a road is close by, then it is only to keep the body cavity clean. No need to drag unnecessary weight or keep the heat in longer than needed.

I have seen zero indication of a gut pile scaring off deer. I've actually seen them eating whatever was undigested, out of the pile.

Honestly, I have never seen this kind of debate come up in my circle of friends. This is just how it's done out here I guess.

Exactly. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by Poconojack

55+ years chasing whitetails here in PA and I’ve never seen (or heard of) anyone taking a deer out whole.

I have seen people dragging gutted deer backwards a few times over the years.

Two hunters were dragging their dead deer back to their car. Another hunter approached pulling his along too. "Hey, I don't want to tell you how to do something ... but I can tell you that it's much easier if you drag the deer in the other direction. Then the antlers won't dig into the ground." After the third hunter left, the two decided to try it. A little while later one hunter said to the other, "You know, that guy was right. This is a lot easier!" "Yeah, but we're getting farther from the truck," the other said.

That's sounds like a Cajun joke, (Boudreaux and Thibodeaux) or at least an Aggie joke.... grin

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

Had a pard tell me hunters in his locale don’t even know how to run a knife on a game animal. They wear them on a belt only for show.
YMMV
😎

I was puzzled as well, after being told a lot of custom knives are being worn as jewelry. Then I saw it, several times.

😎🤷🏽‍♀️

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Here in South Carolina it is illegal to leave a gut pile on state game lands. I dont know anybody around here that has ever field dressed a deer. I dont think they know how. I have seen deer laying in the bed of trucks with the innerds still inside for several days before they get to the processor.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In a single year, I may dress on the spot, cut-up on the spot, move deer a couple hundred yards before dressing or get out whole via cart, quad or truck.
So, I guess the answer is, "it depends".

If I can get them out whole (with innards) I like the added benefit of placing entrails prezactly where I want in hopes of filling bonus coyote tags. whistle

Bonus coyote tags? Where in Sam Hell do you need a tag to shoot fuggin coyotes? Amazing....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
In a single year, I may dress on the spot, cut-up on the spot, move deer a couple hundred yards before dressing or get out whole via cart, quad or truck.
So, I guess the answer is, "it depends".

If I can get them out whole (with innards) I like the added benefit of placing entrails prezactly where I want in hopes of filling bonus coyote tags. whistle

Bonus coyote tags? Where in Sam Hell do you need a tag to shoot fuggin coyotes? Amazing....

Et tu, Brute?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

YMMV
😎

I was puzzled as well, after being told a lot of custom knives are being worn as jewelry. Then I saw it, several times.

😎🤷🏽‍♀️

Where down Georgia or Pennsylvania? That’s funny actually

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The only time I ever drag or carry any game with it's guts still in are the times I have killed them on farmers fields. I think it's rude to leave gut piles on cultivated pastures and fields. So I get them to the edge of the field to feed the coyotes, wolves and birds . But the longest drag I ever had in my life from the center of a field was about 500 yards.

By far, the largest number of animals I have killed were not on farm land. So I gut them right there. I see no reason to move the guts and I see several reasons not to. Cools the out better and faster. Removes the blood from the chest and body cavities before it starts to gel. Simply easier to move them. And of course in the case of elk moose and the occasional Buffalo you are NOT going to move them unless you have a vehicle or horses and/or mules, even if the guts were out, so guts-in makes no sense at all. In 99% of the cases with elk and moose they will not stand next to a road and let you shoot them, so having a vehicle is not likely to happen either. 4Wheelers can be helpful, but more and more you are not allowed to use them, so it usually comes back to a back-pack or a sled.

I bring out most of my antelope and deer in one piece after it's gutted but sometimes I cut them in half.

Elk, moose and the occasional buffalo or bear are always skilled or field quartered and brought out in pieces. Sometimes I have the luxury of horses or mules, but not always, so gutting and field butchering are the way I always bring out game from the wilderness areas and fields ----- other then farm land.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only time I've ever taken an animal out whole is when I was guiding on a high fence operation and we had a trailer made for loading elk and bison whole. Didn't want a bunch of gut piles in the hunting pasture where animals were harvested. That was the only reason we took them out whole. Otherwise I like to pack them out in pieces when more than a hundred yard drag to the truck. I never heard of people leaving guts in a critter until this forum. Why pack it out just to dispose of later? Bones are bad enough but necessary until rigor sets in. I like to hang as long as weather permits. Tenderloins come out prior to hanging so they don't dry out. Keep the skin on too, provided you can get the critter cooled down quickly. Worked for me the last 28 years of hunting. Never lost any meat from doing it this way. I'd think you southern folks would want to gut ASAP with how warm it is down there, doesn't sound like that's the case though. Ymmv

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why would deer smell in the woods run off deer? I've seen deer near a gut pile before. The only thing that might run them off is if a bunch of coyotes are attracted to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cut up and into a pack. Guts never touched.

Yup.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
An hour or so after you kill a deer is no bIg deal even in the south. However, I would NEVER leave one in the bed of a hot truck like someone said they see.

In fact, unless it is under 45 degrees, we don’t leave one in the woods overnight. We make sure to recover them right away. Besides, if you don’t the coyotes will ruin it.

If it is under 45 degrees we sometimes gut and leaving them hang till morning.

After skinning and quartering, it does the meat good to sit in ice for week. The taste of our deer in the south is as good as anywhere in the country.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 07/28/20.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
right on the spot. gut pile does not last 18 hours in Maine.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first time I saw this, it was opening day, honcho that ran the place shot a doe and a yearling about 3:30. Put them in the back of his truck, headed to the sign in shack. Sat there, truck in the sun, at least 80 degrees, until we all came back to sign out. Those things were bloated up like road kill. He was all excited about how fat they were.

After I commented on the yearling, he claimed there were 2 species of whitetail deer in SE AL, long bodies and short bodies. He said he got one of each. Dude was serious. When I asked him if he had ever seen a short body with a nice rack, he said short bodies dont grow big racks, thats why they shoot them.

I thought my buddy and I were gonna piss ourselves, we were laughing so hard.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have always gutted in the woods. Get the stuff out quickly and lighter to drag. The woods critters will soon clean up the gut pile.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Gutless method then onto my back or if snow on ground onto a sled. Dragging a whole critter makes no sense

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always gut in the field. I will take a buck back to camp and butcher after a few days. I generally butcher the does in the field.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Generally gut them or gutless process them right where they die. There have a few exceptions. If I have a downhill drag, and don't want a bunch of dirt and crap inside the body cavity, I'll sometimes move the deer, then gut just uphill from the truck, so it gets loaded right after gutting. Better to make an intelligent plan based upon all the factors than to create standard course of action that ends up running contrary to all the goals. Recovering as much good meat as possible is very high on the goal list.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
right on the spot. gut pile does not last 18 hours in Maine.

+1.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,129
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.