Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Deer & Deer Hunting Forum died before I could get any serious answers, so I'll throw this out here. I have an experiment in mind; I need your help.

The experiment involves taking a bottle of water out to the stand and pouring it in a way that simulates someone whizzing off the stand. I'd like some folks to try it and get back to me on the results. We can discuss the particulars. I'm just looking for some willing volunteers.

See, here's the thing. This all starts about 2006. My #3 son was still pretty small, and I was just getting him to where he could sit with me in a buddy stand. Lil Angus gets to about 0900 and he's got to whizz. I'm thinking about the hassle of getting him unhooked and down the ladder and then back up, and I finally tell him that it's okay to whizz off the stand. What the heck! He achieves this feat and sits back down and within short order, we're swimming in deer. This was early muzzleloader season. I wasn't going to bust a cap on anything that did not have serious rackage. What we got were all doe and a small buck. All told, in the next hour, we must have seen ten deer.

That got me to thinking. Whenever I'd been inclined to attend to matters out in the woods, I've frequently had close encounters with deer. #1? #2? Yes. Both. For a while there, anytime I let fly in the woods, I seemed to have an audience. This goes back nearly 40 years. Over the decades, the number of incidents have mounted up. I have opined that deer are like inquisitive 3 yr olds. They are curious about how we do it. I've popped a squat in the woods and stood up to see a big buck eyeing me. I've shot deer after situations like this. Why not after a whizz off a stand?

The episode in 2006 got me to thinking. Also about this time, middle age started to set in, and well. . . let's say the issue became more pressing as time wore on. I'm now 62, and a sit in one of my ladder stands now has to include one or more experiments. What I can tell you is that a preponderance of the sessions result in a deer sighting within a few minutes. I hunt stands mostly in oak/hickory groves so I suppose it could be that they hear it hitting the leaves and think its acorns.

Years ago I experimented with pitching acorns out of a stand. That never seemed to work.

So now I'm wondering: is it the sound or something else that attracts them? That's why I need y'all's help.

Take a bottle. Fill it with clean water. Dribble about 16 oz off the side of the stand, kind of like you're whizzing, and let me know what happens.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Shaman---- ??????? ya really got me mixed up here... ya talk about being swarmed with deer after a whizz--- shooting deer after taking a dump ---- then posting about making yourself sorta scent free in a Baking Soda topic.. Listen to Blackheart in your Baking Soda one. ---- As Bob Dylan said---- " The answer my friend is blowin in the wind "

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Although i don't make it a habit i don't hesitate to pee out of the stand should the need arise. The movement that you make while trying to pee or some other odor that's on you will scare the deer faster than the urine smell will. Urine is urine and i personally don't think it's the sound it makes hitting the ground but the smell that strikes their curiosity, especially bucks. Now i wouldn't never ever take a dump anywhere near my hunting sight as that's a whole different smell lol.

Here's a test that i've tried many times, find a scrape during pre rut or better yet make a false scrape and pee in it and i'll promise you when you come back in a day or so that it has been visited. I use to hold it and make sure i never peed anywhere near my hunting area until an old local guy told me otherwise. He's actually the one that told me to pee in a scrape when i came across one or make a false one and see what happened so i did. I thought he was crazy but he wasn't and he has harvested a ton of deer and some really nice bucks to boot.

Having said that, now i don't go around peeing everywhere that i hunt but if by chance i have to pee while i'm hunting i don't hesitate to do so and i don't worry about it scaring the deer away because in my experience it won't. Like i said, urine is urine and every animal pees in the woods including me smile.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wldthg
Shaman---- ??????? ya really got me mixed up here... ya talk about being swarmed with deer after a whizz--- shooting deer after taking a dump ---- then posting about making yourself sorta scent free in a Baking Soda topic.. Listen to Blackheart in your Baking Soda one. ---- As Bob Dylan said---- " The answer my friend is blowin in the wind "

I stand by what I say about baking soda. It really does help. Remember, this is cutting down mostly on pit-stink and things like laundry detergent scents and other unnatural aromas. There may be a difference between that and the more natural scents. I know there are some guys that pee in buck scrapes and claim deer can't tell the difference.

Whizzing? Look I can't figure out why I see so many deer when heeding the Call of Nature, but I also can't discount it. Back at D&DH we'd have discussions like this that would sometime stretch years. There were guys who brought P-bottles to the stand, and some guys who whizzed right over the rail. Some fellows like me, have had an extraordinary number of deer encounters with our flies unzipped or our pants around our ankle. I've seen a doe roll in fresh urine. I've copped a squat and come up with 5 deer watching me with rapt attention. They ran off, but they came back 10 minutes later when I was back in my ground blind and I managed to shoot the buck trailing the rest of them.

I'm just wondering if the sound of liquid falling is somehow attractive or something else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never had deer do that but an elk almost tried to get in the blind with me after wizzing in the woods about 10 yards from it. thought it was weird but might be a dominate guy thing . who knows.

IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by domit
never had deer do that but an elk almost tried to get in the blind with me after wizzing in the woods about 10 yards from it. thought it was weird but might be a dominate guy thing . who knows.

. . . and I had that happen with a fairly large buck in 2017. He came right up to the window of the blind after I'd sat back down from paying the rent on the coffee.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shaman-

I'll not discount your findings but I'd also urge you to consider happenstance - particularly when you've noted on numerous occasions having ample deer on the lone property you hunt. Have enough deer, and, given enough time in the woods, you're likely to detect multiplicity in even some of the most peculiar situations.

That said, I have whizzed from my treestand and had a buck come looking - peak rut, calm conditions and crisp leaves on the ground.
There is zero doubt he heard the commotion and was looking for the maker of the leakage in hopes of it being a doe worthy of chase.
The s'mediumish buck ended up right beneath me, looking around for a couple minutes before walking off.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Just piss in a milk jug and put the lid on quick. It works. If you're really anal about it bring along a bottle of descenting spray. It's not Missile surgery. Deer have an uncanny strong sense of smell. But if you piss in a jug and put the top on it keeps that piss smell out of the wind.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might be missing a heck of a hunting opportunity by keeping it in a porta-pee bottle, but my man cave isn't exactly devoid of nice antlers. The way I see it, I hunt in a big woods and look for big sign from a buck that doesn't see or smell people for most of the year. He is making that sign there because he lives there and any foreign odor is going to put him on high alert. Some deer are curious, but those are generally the first ones that end up on the meat pole and they are not typically the smarter, older ones.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Some deer are curious, but those are generally the first ones that end up on the meat pole and they are not typically the smarter, older ones.

Truth.

WWP53D
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Filaman
Just piss in a milk jug and put the lid on quick. It works. If you're really anal about it bring along a bottle of descenting spray. It's not Missile surgery. Deer have an uncanny strong sense of smell. But if you piss in a jug and put the top on it keeps that piss smell out of the wind.

i agree x2,except ladies pee seems to attract bucks

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've been pissing off my stand or out of my blind for 30 years. Can you believe it...right on to the ground!!! :wow:

If a deer ran every time it smelled piss, they'd never stop running.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I never piss around my hunting places.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Guybo54
Now i wouldn't never ever take a dump anywhere near my hunting sight as that's a whole different smell lol.

That could get awfully uncomfortable or require a fair amount of disturbing commotion getting in and out of location. If I have to go, I dig a cat hole and be done with it. I've seen and shot deer after doing so.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In our part of the world, there's always a handy piece of fieldstone around. It's just like lifting the toilet seat. Done? Just put the seat back down.

During turkey season, I pretty much cycle through the same rocks from last year.

I've got the added advantage of having built an outhouse between two of my favorite stands. It's next door to the family campground. That's convenience!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
How do some of you function in the woods. LMAO.

Go hunt! Be outside.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tzone
How do some of you function in the woods. LMAO.

Go hunt! Be outside.
They have outhouses in their stands.
When I was a young man I never took a piss from my stand and was proud of it.
Now that I'm in my 60's I quite regularly take a piss from my stand and don't give a damn.
I have noticed after 50 years of deer hunting that it makes no difference in seeing deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sell a lot of these around here during deer season. 16oz goes into the woods, and 16oz comes back out.....

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you have to pee, just let it fly from the stand! It doesn't bother deer.

I'm not carrying around some nasty container of pee back and forth from the stand!

Some WAY OVER THINK this issue. YMMV

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 07/29/20.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Filaman
Just piss in a milk jug and put the lid on quick. It
works. If you're really anal about it bring along a bottle of descenting spray. It's not Missile surgery. Deer have an uncanny strong sense of smell. But if you piss in a jug and put the top on it keeps that piss smell out of the wind.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 32 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.