Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15091219 07/29/20
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've read that the Turk uses a small ring Mauser barrel thread. (I've not removed the barrel to verify)

Can the receiver be machined to accept LR Mauser prefit barrels? If not, where would you all put your trust in cartridges? I have a Ruger 77 take off in '06. Would this be suitable, or should it be cut down and used maybe as a 300 Savage? An 18" mannlicher in either caliber would be nice.

Sean
GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First, one needs to be specific about the "Turk" Mauser they have. The pre-98's are small thread. The 98's Can be either Large Ring, small thread or Large Ring, large thread depending on the Model. The 1903's and the one marked K.Kale are Large Ring, small thread. the 1903 however has a longer shank.

Recutting the receiver for a pre-threaded barrel? Not cost effective. Much easier to simply thread a barrel for the correct threads.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
to add to that mix one last thing that needs to be known is the TPI of the threads. Both small ring and large Ring Mausers are 12 TPI and most Turks too (both those made in Turkey and those made for Turkey in Germany) but there are some Large Ring Turkish Mausers with 11-1/2 TPI threads too.

Why?
I have no idea.

They work just fine, but you have to thread the replacement barrels (if any) for 11-1/2 TPI . I have done 6 of them.

I was unaware of the odd thread until I got the first one in my shop. A customer was trying to make his own rifle and bought a pre-threaded Mauser barrel and it just would not go. I measured the threads and sure enough it was 11-1/2 TIP. I called a few older gunsmiths ( I was about 35 at the time) and they said that indeed some were 11-1/2 per inch. I have since done some more reading and to this date I have not found anyone that could explain their reason for doing that, but you need to know if if you work on Turkish Mausers.

Last edited by szihn; 07/29/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One cost-effective way to go is to repurpose a Remington takeoff barrel. Most working gunsmiths who do barrel work have a few laying around. I seem to collect mostly 7mm Mag and 30-06. They have to be cut off roughly 0.2 inches at the rear and rethreaded, then the chamber must be deepened to the correct headspace. If you don't insist on having lettering that lines up perfectly, that is pretty much all there is to it.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have it nearby, but if memory is worth a damn it is a model 38 LR, with a 1952 (arsenal refurbish?) date. Figured the machining of the action was not cost effective, but was curious as to the could it be done.

Secondly, if it is LR small thread, does anyone have any issue with it being chambered to any other modern cartridge on the .473 bolt face? 30-06, 9.3x62, 270, 35 WhelenAI?

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by calikooknic; 07/29/20.

Sean
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Small ring threads are just fine for any modern cartridge. Most folks don't know it, but the old single square bridge and most double square bridge Magnum Mausers have small ring threads and they were chambered in everything from 300 H&H to 505 Gibbs and 500 Jeffery.

iIt's not a problem

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Add to the mix the M98's made for Turkey by BRNO. They were large ring large thread actions.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ruger threads are 1" x16, so the small ring threads will not clean it up (.980"x12). A Rem 700 or Large shank Savage, or Springfield or '17 Enfield take off will work ( I don't know about the extractor cut cleaning up). Try to trade the Ruger barrel for a Rem 308 if you want to do a 300 Savage, but you can do a 308 or 06 on a Turk. If 06, don't start with a 308 barrel, the body taper of an 06 will not clean up the 308 chamber unless you you set it back A LOT!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The small ring actions that are non M98 actions are a different animal than an M98 with either small ring receiver or small ring thread on a large ring receiver. They are the M93, 94, 95, and 96; they are true small ring actions with much less gas handling capabilities and only 2 locking lugs, no third safety lug. They also cock on closing. Again this are not 98 actions.

98 actions large or small ring receiver, large or small ring barrel threads are still M98 mausers and strong enough for 30-06 etc.

There is another Turk variation to avoid and that is a Gew 98 or K98K large ring action with large thread that has about only three threads in the front receiver ring as they turned the inside to make a handguard retaining ring to match other Turks in appearance. They are remarked as well.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
Small ring threads are just fine for any modern cartridge. Most folks don't know it, but the old single square bridge and most double square bridge Magnum Mausers have small ring threads and they were chambered in everything from 300 H&H to 505 Gibbs and 500 Jeffery.

iIt's not a problem

Thanks, szihn. Metal is metal, it all fits here. Integrity of action over rules the barrel?

Thanks to the replies from the others. I'll figure out how to waste more money than buying a built gun at some time.

Sean
IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

iIt's not a problem

The Magnum actions were of Large ring configuration and used large ring barrels. Some of the smaller standard or intermediate length actions were large rings that used small ring threads. Do the math and see that the big 505 case would leave chamber walls a mere .120" thick.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by z1r

iIt's not a problem

The Magnum actions were of Large ring configuration and used large ring barrels. Some of the smaller standard or intermediate length actions were large rings that used small ring threads. Do the math and see that the big 505 case would leave chamber walls a mere .120" thick.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sbrmike

There is another Turk variation to avoid and that is a Gew 98 or K98K large ring action with large thread that has about only three threads in the front receiver ring as they turned the inside to make a handguard retaining ring to match other Turks in appearance. They are remarked as well.

These are marked ATF (Arab Turkish Firearms - I think)

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Askeri Tufiki Farbrika = ATF

Sadly, most of these were in really nice condition having only recently been rebuilt before being retired. But for customization, most eschew them due to the removal of some of the receiver threads. It was only later in my career that I discovered that none other than Tom Burgess used to remove a thread so that the barrel could be threaded right up to the shoulder without the need of a relief cut.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r
Askeri Tufiki Farbrika = ATF .

Thanx Mike. I knew mine was slang, but didn't know the correct terms.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,246
Posts18,504,631
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.