Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Hey guys - just recently got my CCW permit and looking to purchase a new handgun, probably 9mm...maybe 40SW? for home defense or possible carry. I have shot some Sigs, Gen 4 Glocks, and Springfield XDs...I liked them all. My question is where should I focus my search? Price is not a huge concern for me, but it would be nice to not be over the 500-600 range. I don't want anything too small (that's what she said) where shoot-ability would be severely impacted. It'd also be nice to have this be something my wife or kids could shoot easily. Thanks in advance for replies, gents.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Neighbor of mine added a couple of Springfield Armory Hellcats for him and his wife. Decent compact carry. Good capacity and handling with extended mag.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sig P365 checks all the CCW boxes for me.
With the 12 round magazine it is still easy to conceal, as accurate as my larger pistols, and very controllable for its size.

Last edited by NVhntr; 07/29/20.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You couldn't go wrong with a Glock 19, it's a medium size high capacity 9 mm.....the Sig P365 is a bit smaller.....I have both and tend to carry the Sig more, as it is smaller...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 version of either the Shield or Compact in 9mm.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting easily and carrying easily are two opposed criteria. The bigger the pistol the easier it is to shoot but the harder it is to conceal.

The Sig P365 would be about the smallest to recommend, if you get into a Glock 19 size then it plus the M&P 2.0 compact or Sig P320 XCompact are all great handguns. Any of those four are good combinations of both goals. The Sig is smaller to carry and mechanically very accurate but does have a bit of a snappy recoil. The "compact" sized pistols are not too difficult to conceal but more so than the Sig and are definitely more shootable, i.e. softer recoiling and a bigger grip to hang on to. With your description of being a handgun noob I would not recommend a .40 S&W, recoil in a small to even intermediate sized handgun can be sharp and is very likely more than a woman or kids will want to put up with.

Since you mention home defense first and possible carry as a secondary criterion then you'd probably be happiest with one of the Compact sized pistols just for the easier recoil and overall shootability so you and your family would want to shoot it more, then find a way to carry it concealed when and if you want to do that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 version of either the Shield or Compact in 9mm.

Likely that. I'm still a huge Glock fan but I've been very happy with the Shield and it conceals a little easier. I don't have any of the skinny Glocks, they are are 17/19/23

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm not going to mention any models but the decision that only YOU can make is what size gun do you think that you can easily conceal. A gun that is hard to conceal is one that's going to left at home, where it doesn't do any good. I remember when I first started carrying, I thought that everyone could see my gun. After a while, you realize nobody notices and you can carry a larger gun than you first thought. There's really no "one gun does everything". You may end up needing two or three.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'm not going to mention any models but the decision that only YOU can make is what size gun do you think that you can easily conceal. A gun that is hard to conceal is one that's going to left at home, where it doesn't do any good. I remember when I first started carrying, I thought that everyone could see my gun. After a while, you realize nobody notices and you can carry a larger gun than you first thought. There's really no "one gun does everything". You may end up needing two or three.

<Grin> This line of thinking is exactly the type of thing that has gotten me into trouble in the past. To combat this, I simply do not tell the wife about firearms purchases anymore.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Lots of quality handguns out there. Pick one that fits your hand. I'd go with a 9mm.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Most of the popular models will all be reliable and accurate enough for your purposes. A good point was made that the gun only does you any good if you carry it. Some people buy a gun that fits their lifestyle, some people alter their lifestyle to fit their gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Northerner
Hey guys - just recently got my CCW permit and looking to purchase a new handgun, probably 9mm...maybe 40SW? for home defense or possible carry. I have shot some Sigs, Gen 4 Glocks, and Springfield XDs...I liked them all. My question is where should I focus my search? Price is not a huge concern for me, but it would be nice to not be over the 500-600 range. I don't want anything too small (that's what she said) where shoot-ability would be severely impacted. It'd also be nice to have this be something my wife or kids could shoot easily. Thanks in advance for replies, gents.

When picking plastic-framed gun it is worthwhile to get something with beefier construction (thicker plastic). I can recommend G26. If you're right-handed there is no practical differences between originals from mid 1990s and what is put out today. Mine has withstood test of time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In keeping with the traditions of this site, I would recommend a Cabot, either a Gran Torino SS or a Vintage Classic. If you can't wait for one of those a Wilson CQB. .45ACP of course. If you have to go cheap, a Les Baer Comanche, .45 again.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Borchardt
In keeping with the traditions of this site, I would recommend a Cabot, either a Gran Torino SS or a Vintage Classic. If you can't wait for one of those a Wilson CQB. .45ACP of course. If you have to go cheap, a Les Baer Comanche, .45 again.

If you want to suggest 1911 CQB Springfield Armory gun designed to compete with Colt in US Morine Recon bid is worth a serious look. Bid downsides for CCW are it's size, weight and low magazine cartridge capacity.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Buy a good belt and you can carry just about any damn handgun you want. 1000 dollar gun and 150 buck holster doesn’t make carry any easier if your belt fuggin sucks.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Swifty52
Buy a good belt and you can carry just about any damn handgun you want. 1000 dollar gun and 150 buck holster doesn’t make carry any easier if your belt fuggin sucks.

See if you can wrangle a separate closet for your gun belt collection, especially if you have duty, dress, casual, revolver and field gun belts.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by Northerner

When picking plastic-framed gun it is worthwhile to get something with beefier construction (thicker plastic). I can recommend G26. If you're right-handed there is no practical differences between originals from mid 1990s and what is put out today. Mine has withstood test of time.

Now I understand better why you catch so much chit here...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Go out and buy five Sig P365's and a dozen 12 to 15 round mags, a family of new shooters needs to remember one shooting system, plus, you 'may' need plenty to go around, the country certainly isn't getting anymore 'stable' as of late, I bought my Wife three Sig P365's.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Yea.

This is the belt I wear. It makes a huge difference:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
As for which gun?

Right now, that's the one in stock.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.