-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My crew has had five Trophy XLTs, three 4-12 AO, a 1.75-4, and a 3-9, dating back to about 1997 IIRC. Not a speck of trouble from any of them, FWIW. My 4-12 has been on a magnum springer airgun for at least 1000 shots, a .243, and it now sits on a .22. It doesn't get cranked much, but when it does, it goes where it's supposed to. If someone wants cheap scope advice, that's what I recommend. Some were made in Japan, others in the Phillipines and Korea.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Used to work at a Gander Mt gun dept from ‘99-02 as a side gig for the discount.

The Savage 111 combo’s (factory combo’s) were big back then and people groused about spending the $329 for the rifle with a crumby Simmons scope. Showing those folks Leupolds and Nikons and trying to explain that even a $75 Bushnell Trophy would be a worthwhile upgrade...well, you can imagine our batting average on that sell.

More curious was them buying a single $11 box of ‘06 core-lokt’s and proudly declaring something to the effect that they’d be back in 10yrs for another box. As though not practicing was a point of pride. 🤦‍♂️

“Keepin it real...real dumb.” -Chris Rock

I remember a Federal print ad that showed a could of guys, maybe brothers, who claimed that together then could punch their elk tags for the better part of a decade on that one box of 300 WM factory loads.

A decade or so ago, I went to Sports Authority to buy a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 that was on sale for less than I could buy it at wholesale. They said that they only had a demo unit left, but when I opened the Rifleman box the scope inside was a 2.5-8x36 Vari-X III. I explained ot the clerk and his manager that it was the wrong scope, a more expensive scope, but to them all scopes were the same and I could buy the scope that was in the box or not, take it or leave it. I took it and it was still working fine the last time that I used it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Lets face ít, they're just responding to market demand. Lots of peope either have no clue about optics at all, or just want the cheapest setup the can find for their annual day or so in the woods. Others are totally flummoxed or even frightened by the idea of mounting a scope and sighting it in. I worked a gun counter a bit, and my son did it for a good while. Store policy required us to mount and bore-sight scopes we sold. Almost always, the customer wanted to be told that the rifle was ready to hunt afterwards. I suspect many had no idea about how to dial one in and/or no place to do it.

Most of us would prefer a lower price on a scopeless rifle, but they ain't trying to sell it to us.

That sums it up.

I was at the LGS years ago and I go brought his rifle back in. Said he missed a deer at a little over 100 yards away. The guy had the shop bore sight the scope and he said they were off.

I asked and the guy had never shot the rifle, no need, because the shop bore sighted it.

Crazy.

Gunsmith in the same town would sight in rifles for people. He said they'd bring him a rifle/scope and ammo. He said there were a lot of guys that the only time they pulled a trigger is if they saw a deer.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Gunsmith in the same town would sight in rifles for people. He said they'd bring him a rifle/scope and ammo. He said there were a lot of guys that the only time they pulled a trigger is if they saw a deer.

I know a gunsmith whose shop gets a fair amount of work doing just that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

How many gun related field shootings of another hunter are done by this kind of,,,,hunter? 🤷🏽‍♀️

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

I have done the same thing. Had a local business owner tell me to buy a rifle, scope, sling, and ammo for him, and sight it in so his kid could go deer hunting. I did, and made some good money off the deal.............plus the kid killed a deer with it, so everybody was happy.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yeah, you'd be surprised at the amount of people that think that "boresighted" and "sighted in" mean the same thing. I don't know if they don't do it because they don't know how or they're wusses and they can't handle any recoil at all. Probably a bit of both.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And they are shot in the bung?

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Recently tested a Wally World 4-12x40 on a 223 and it made it 14 shots before it lost it's ability to adjust. Adjustments were mushy, clicks were inconsistent and at different powers you had to readjust the eyepiece.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I zero close to 100 rifles each season at the gun shop/range I work at. I cringe every time one of the no-name Remington package scope comes through. It is pointless to try to shoot one above about 4x. I tell them up front that I make no guarantees on the sight in.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Simmons scopes are heads and shoulders above these pieces of junk... I’m still stunned.

B
B
Had the same problem when I worked at academy

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I bought one of the adl scope package guns at Wally World for my daughter several years ago. Had the no name scope on it. The cross hairs in the scope were broke when I pulled the rifle out of the box for inspection. I didn't even waist the time to ask for another one. I threw the scope and rings in the trash when I got home.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Helped a guy from work replaced his kaleidoscope on a nice old Browning semi-auto 300 Win Mag with a Burris FF2 and sighted it in at my range at home with his 40 year old box of ammo. He wants to hunt with it but doesn’t make time to shoot it. I waited 4 months for him to come shoot it - finally gave it back to him & assume the next time it will be shot is with a different ammo at a deer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.