Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Communist system is metric.

So is the US Army system. Ever hear of "klicks' (kilometers)?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Some of the craziest arguments on the campfire show up in these metrics vs English threads.

The thought that our success as a nation is somehow due in whole or part to our system of measurement is beyond absurd. If anything, it’s retarded our growth.

Some claim to hate the metric system. What is there to hate? That makes just a little less sense than hating a particular caliber rifle. What they’re saying is they don’t understand it and are afraid to try.

When I was doing my tool and die apprenticeship in the early’70’s we took a shot at it...like now, fear reared its ugly head and you heard all sorts of completely irrational, fear-driven arguments against it. Part of the problem was the fact that.gov and industry focused on conversion and tried going soft metric. That resulted in a Charlie Foxtrot and killed it.

Today, all my personal tools are in English units but I have metric stuff available when necessary. The coordinate measuring machine I use can go either way, but I don’t think it’s been used in English since we’ve had it. The CNC stuff and all the electronic metrology stuff converts as necessary.

The real objections to metric are fear and intellectual laziness.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
This is kind of a fun thread. The only real difficulty of either system is based on one's familiarity. People always try to convert or compare the system with which they are not familiar to the one with which they are familiar instead of learning them separately without cross-reference. I'm not saying anybody is wrong to do that because we always try to put things into a context we understand. I'm just saying that this comparison is what creates the biggest barrier to implementation of the system with which we are least familiar.

Originally Posted by cra1948
The real objections to metric are fear and intellectual laziness.

Exactly

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As someone who spent their working life in manufacturing, specifically aluminum extrusion, I am convinced it makes a huge amount of sense for us to go with the simpler and universally accepted metric system. As an exporter of finished extrusion, we were required to duplicate many product groups in order to compete. This carried huge costs which seriously degraded our profitability and marketability. In sticking with the English system we unnecessarily hobble our ability to compete internationally.

On the other hand, we are in a position to fill the needs of Liberia, the only other nation on the planet who is stuck in the old English system.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,666
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.