Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hey everyone who likes golf.

I'm looking to buy a new set of irons, as well as some other clubs.
I'm a high handicap player, and 24 years old. I feel I can improve my game a lot compared to where I am at right now.

I'll usually shoot a 42-47 on a 9 hole round. Everything points me to game improvement clubs. However I really like the looks of blade/muscle back irons. Which honestly is important to me.

Currently I have a full set of Ray Cook clubs which was only like 200 bucks when it was new 5 years ago. I feel like I'm missing out using a set of clubs that cost as much as some single irons cost.

Will it really hurt me that bad by ditching these cheap cavity back irons and going to a high quality MB club such as the titleist 620 MB?

I can hit my 7 iron around 175-185 yards, so I'm not really worried about losing distance with a more classic style iron. Wondering if the lack of forgiveness will really hurt me that much, or if it will likely make me improve my game.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have not golfed for many years, not much then. I bought a set of Ping irons at a pawn shop for $32.50

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I hear about golf from a close friend of mine who is pretty good. He'll go out and shoot three or four over par on courses he's not played before, and that's under strict rules of golf. He's not even using narrow, forged full blades IIRC.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

At that score level, my GUESS is you are not hitting the sweet spot consistent enough for blades. Blades shine when you want to move the ball in either direction. Shooting bogey golf most likely means blades will set you back.

My suggestion is go somewhere where you can try LOTS and ideally get on a ball flight analyzer. Demo days are great ways to do this. Try them all, hit 1-2 clubs from each set. Make sure you are actually aiming at something, not just hitting. If you can get on a computer, let it track fligh and look for consistency. Grab clubs from multipel vendors and compare them directly.

If you can't do this, at least get fit, most/any shop should do this. You basically hit off a board and it shows if the lie is right and they can tape the face to see impact. You can then adjust the lie and shaft to get the best flight.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Alot to be said for blades. For a high handicap player nothing good. Even the pros are switching some clubs over.
Id recommend for you to go to a very good pro shop and ask them for help. I play about every day and use game improvement clubs. Nobody will make fun of you. Id recommend a trip to Carls Golfland in Michigan.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm around the same handicap as you. My irons are Taylor Made Burners that are almost as old as you... just had them re-gripped this year - helped a bunch. I've never had blades, have heard they are a bit less forgiving for off center hits compared to cavity backed irons. Best advice get to a golf shop and hit lots of different brands and find clubs that fit and feel good. The key to scoring well is consistency club to club and swing to swing. I think the difference between $200 irons and $1,000 irons is the consistency club to club and marketing that goes into them. The swing part is up to you!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I’d say equipment is the least of your worries.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Get a set of Mizuno blades and practice. I still play Mizuno blades snd my son got a set. Once you learn to use them, you’ll love the feel of hitting s pure shot.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used to be a big golfer. I suggest you spend the money on lessons if you want to play better. For whatever reason, guys will spend a ton on anything except that.

You didn't say how long you have been playing but bogey golf at 24 is not bad. You have the potential to get good.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/30/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Forget about forged blade irons. If you're shooting in the mid 40s for 9 holes, you don't strike the ball consistently enough to play blades. Do yourself a favor and go to a shop that can analyze your swing and fit you for clubs that match your game. You'll se a HUGE improvement.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
At your level of play, clubs are not going to improve your score much. You would be better off spending some money on lessons and getting consistent. Then, it will be time to get new clubs. Getting the best clubs for you before you hit consistently is a gamble.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by doubletap
At your level of play, clubs are not going to improve your score much. You would be better off spending some money on lessons and getting consistent. Then, it will be time to get new clubs. Getting the best clubs for you before you hit consistently is a gamble.

This. Get lessons and work on your swing.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The first thing is to get fit and for goodness sakes don't go to some place that solely uses a computer. Computers are neat but nothing tells the tale like ball flight. A quality fitter will have multiple heads and shafts that they can swap around. When you start narrowing it down, you will keep coming back to a certain combination.

Very few people are good enough to hit blades. With those scores, if you go to blades, you will watch your score balloon and you will come to hate the game.

I am a 13 handicap. I have tried to hit the musclebacks during demo days. About 1 out of 5 or 6 was flush. The other ones......well.......they weren't. I play Ping G25's with the graphite shaft for what its worth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just what I have read and experienced, so take it for what it is worth. Blades are much less forgiving than cavity-backs. Blades are said to provide a bit more "touch" in shaping shots FOR those of such skill level as to be able to take advantage of that quality (few amateurs are). There are many on the pro tour who use cavity backs, so using them is not a mark of dishonor. There are many amateurs who (try to) play blades because they think that it makes them look like someone who really knows the game. There are clubs today that are a sort of hybrid of the two systems. I have no experience with them. This is not meant as a knock on your ability, but looking at your scores (which are nothing to be ashamed of), I would recommend going with cavity backs and not spending more on them than you need to - something good, but don't think that the extra money for a really top-line set is going to make you into a scratch golfer. (Don't fall for that crap line that was invented by someone in the business of selling things that "You get what you pay for". That is much more a function of hard work at practicing and learning your game than it is of equipment.) As I said in the beginning, just my thoughts and experience. Whatever you decide, make the game one of enjoyment and not of frustration.

Last edited by 5sdad; 07/30/20.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I appreciate the advice all. I agree that lessons are needed, and I'm more than willing to spend my money on the right person to teach me. I've gotten lessons once, and it was some guy who didnt really know much and did not help me at all.
I'm definitely going to stay away from blades, although I will give them a try in a pro shop if i have the chance.

I understand that my swing is not anywhere near perfect, and never will be. But I do also feel that quality clubs cannot hurt compared to my dicks bargain golf set.

I plan on being fitted and will look into Carl's golfland. Are there any other very good club fitters in Michigan? A google search brings up a place in gaylord and and place called players choice or club choice or something similar. I would like a very knowledgeable fitter.

Any recommendations on someone who can give me lessons in Michigan? I'm in northeast Michigan in the lower Penninsula.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Lessons first, then go from there.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have not golfed for many years, not much then. I bought a set of Ping irons at a pawn shop for $32.50

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
The best is Rick Smith in Gaylord. I'd try to E mail him for a suggestion on a pro in your area. Im sure the Black Bear near Alpena has a knowledgeable club pro. As for fitters I'd wait. You can get some pretty good clubs on E bay for not very much money that will get you by. Mostly look for new clubs with 3 to 4 year old technology. Good luck

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by wabigoon

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Dumass should have let go a little sooner.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My kid is 5' 9" and thin.
I got her some Ping mens senior irons on special and Cobra woods.
Ended up around 700 bucks ( local pro.hooked us up)
Due to her size and muscle mass that was the best choice.

Hate watching her drive.....far, straight, high.

She can drive, putt and chip pretty darn good.
Well, 2 of the 3 on any day. LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 07/30/20.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,840
Posts18,517,155
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.