Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The brand owner, Bombardier, has stopped all production of Evinrudes.

Company says it will no longer make Evinrude outboard boat engines, citing impact from coronavirus. ... Company president and CEO José Boisjoli said, “Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. May 28, 2020

Ole Evinrude, who immigrated from Norway at 5 years old, invented the outboard motor and put the 1st ones on the market in 1907. It was only about 2 hp but it was an instant success. It's sad to see a great old American company go down the tubes, no matter who owns it now.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I thought OBMC made bothe Evenrude, and Johnson?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When Evinrude and Johnson joined forces, they became OMC. It grew to be the makers of a bunch of different brands of boats. About 20 years ago, they sold off the Evinrude/Johnson part to Bombardier.
I wonder how much the Asian brands took their toll on them. I see a lot of Yamaha's out there.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A reliance on too many government subsidies has made Bombardier a corporate welfare case. They haven't got enough incentive to work hard and be innovative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I thought OBMC made bothe Evenrude, and Johnson?

The company was first acquired by Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) in 1935. OMC filed for bankruptcy on 22 December 2000. It has been owned since 2001 by the Canadian firm Bombardier Recreational Products. Bombardier stopped selling outboards under the Johnson brand after 2007, and has moved all sales entirely to Evinrude Outboard Motors until it was discontinued in 2020. Bombardier supports existing Johnson outboard motors through servicing and parts. Evinrude also provides information about the year of manufacture for vintage Johnson motors, if the model number and serial number can be provided.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I read an interesting story about Ole Evinrude. He'd taken his girlfriend, Bess, on a picnic on an island near Milwaukee. She said something about liking ice cream so he hopped in the rowboat and went for some. It melted on the way back, of course, but he got to thinking that there had to be a better way than rowing to move a small boat. He went to work and over several years developed the 1st outboard. He married Bess and started the company with him doing the machinist work while she essentially ran the company. It was an instant success and the market was huge with no competition at the beginning.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That sucks. I have a 2019 90 hp E-Tec on a pontoon I bought last year. I hope they will still honor the warranty.

3825 24336
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sad. I still have my 1999 Johnson outboard. Too much foreign competition and emissions regulations does in another American icon.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Not good news for me. I got one that is getting on up in age and will eventually need parts here and there. Hopefully the aftermarket will be sufficient. Given the state of fishing in my area, its not worth getting a new outboard. I still like to go once in a while when the weather is nice in the fall.

I think it was the Asian brands but also the 4 stroke motors won the market. They have gotten better since I got my Etec. I put it on an old Boston Whaler because it weighed considerably less than the 4 strokes available at the time.

Wabi, the Johnson brand has been gone a long time now......maybe a decade.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an OMC 2 stroke lawnmower for a few years. Magnesium deck.

When it died, the motor etc went in the trash and the deck was broken up for "brightening up" bonfires.

I wish I had restored it, but I was younger, it had been given to me free if I could get it to work, it served its purpose for a few years, and I had other things, a cross country move as I recall, going on in life.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66
Not good news for me. I got one that is getting on up in age and will eventually need parts here and there. Hopefully the aftermarket will be sufficient. Given the state of fishing in my area, its not worth getting a new outboard. I still like to go once in a while when the weather is nice in the fall.

I think it was the Asian brands but also the 4 stroke motors won the market. They have gotten better since I got my Etec. I put it on an old Boston Whaler because it weighed considerably less than the 4 strokes available at the time.

Wabi, the Johnson brand has been gone a long time now......maybe a decade.

If you really like your motor and are worried about parts in the future, best to buy the ones you think you might need now for future use.

Or perhaps look for a used one for a parts backup.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mine's a 10hp Johnson, same thing. It's a '92. Hopefully I'll have it a long time as it works great with my little car topper fishing boat.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1985 15hp Evinrude owner here. Recently restored and running great.

Still LOTS of parts out there.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's gonna be LOTS of things we have had as staples in our lives that are going away, never to return.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Current rig is a 1996 150 Fast Strike on a 1997 Javelin 389 TE, both OMC products.
Starts and runs like a new motor.

First boat dad bought had a 1969 Johnson 40 horse.
Traded it for a boat with a 1975 model 70 horse Evinrude.
Sold that one to a buddy right before I bought the Javelin and he's still running her.

Sad to see them go.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Those late 70s 85hp through 140hp Evinrudes were absolutely bulletproof and some of the most reliable outboards ever made.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I hocked my wife’s diamond ring, bought me an outboard Evinrude.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they wouldn't have thumbed their nose at the four stroke market they'd probably still be around. Supposedly they'll continue to support existing products, if I had an E-TEC I wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy. Stock up on computer parts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I read an interesting story about Ole Evinrude. He'd taken his girlfriend, Bess, on a picnic on an island near Milwaukee. She said something about liking ice cream so he hopped in the rowboat and went for some. It melted on the way back, of course, but he got to thinking that there had to be a better way than rowing to move a small boat. He went to work and over several years developed the 1st outboard. He married Bess and started the company with him doing the machinist work while she essentially ran the company. It was an instant success and the market was huge with no competition at the beginning.

OBC

Outboards By Cooter
1st Generation outboards

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cretch
That sucks. I have a 2019 90 hp E-Tec on a pontoon I bought last year. I hope they will still honor the warranty.

When Evinrude and Johnson were bought out buy the snowmobile company they just wanted the name and reputation. I made the mistake of buying a 2000 Evinrude 225. To say the warranty sucked would be an understatement. . Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 64 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.