Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I guess when you shoot from prone using an SKS bayonet as a monopod you pound it into the ground w/ your Spetsnaz shovel for elevation corrections.

Even back in '69 only a broke dick VC used an SKS.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bayonets have lots of uses- - - - -my great grandmother used to tell stories about the Union soldiers at Ft. Negley in Nashville using the ones on their 1858 Remington rifles to forage chickens, ducks, and small pigs from citizens' back yards.

Last edited by Hotrod_Lincoln; 07/30/20.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Leave it! The weight isn't enough to really interrupt the balance anyway (it's not like an SKS is a .204 Ruger).....

And it might be useful someday.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by duck911
Leave it! The weight isn't enough to really interrupt the balance anyway (it's not like an SKS is a .204 Ruger).....

You could stir latte with it

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by duck911

You could stir latte with it

I typically don't bring SKS's to high highfalutin' business dinners, but, if that's what you're into.....

Knock yourself out!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by Clarkm
In SKSs I have; Russian, Chinese, Yugo, and Albanian.

With an SKS I can shoot about a 5" group with open sights.

After I glass bed, trigger job, turn off the gas system, handload 6mmPPC quality ammo in 7.62x39mm, butt length extender, and solidly mount a 40X scope..... still a 5" group.

But any old AR15 with quality handloads and a scope will shoot 1.1" groups for me.

What does it all mean?
SKS is a pile of junk. Get an AR15.

Practice...you'll improve.

Put your fingers and thumbs together to form a circle. Depending on the size of your hands, that circle is roughly 5 in. Now place that over the center of your chest cavity.

Tell me again how useless that rifle is?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I have read the ATF has issues with adding bayonets to SKS's that don't have them and with taking them off SKS's that do have them. Make sense to a bureaucrat I guess.

That's a fact. After a number of Chinese SKSs were imported and sold, some worthless company in CA marketed a pistol in that caliber. The ATF ruled that, because of the pistol (which I think went out of business in a few months), no Chinese SKSs could have bayonets unless you got them registered Class III. But the Russian SKSs were OK with bayonets. That didn't make sense then or now.

That was a long time ago and my memory is a bit murky, but at the time we all took our bayonets off our SKSs.

My SKS is long since sold, with the bayonet, although not attached. I didn't think much of the rifle. The trigger pull was awful and there are cheaper things to plink with.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
An SKS without a bayonet is just another rifle.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Oh no

I took mine off

Im going to hell, and jail

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My buddy bought an AK and a case of ammo, back when that could be done with 300 bucks.

I always shot everything from prone, when he handed me that AK, all I could see in that spike hanging off the barrel was a stabilization device. I jammed the bayonet into the ground and proceed to perforate paper plates at 300 yrs.

Beat the fug out of a backpack, or a crushed cowboy hat, or even my balled up fist, as a field ready stabilizer. I was not hitting the plate with every round, but a high enough percentage to be combat effective.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by slumlord
Oh no

I took mine off

Im going to hell, and jail

Nope. The ruling was you could have it next to the rifle, just not on it. Stupid ruling.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
Concerning only a military issue SKS. No after-market add ons. As issued military weapon only,10 round box mag, stripper clips, etc.,

A hypothetical question; If it was your main survival weapon, etc., would you retain the bayonet, whether blade or spike, or would you remove it for lighter weight and better balance? Keep in mind that the bayonet is not readily or normally detachable....Thanks for any thoughts....Tree

All due respect to decenting opinions.
There may be those who use a bayonet for skinning small game, filleting fish, feathering tinder for fire starter, shaping wooden tools, tarp pegs, saplings for shelter, etc.
It's just me, but I have never considered a bayonet for anything other than a collectable. They do have much appeal for that and historical significance IMHO.

IF I were taking one rifle of choice that had a bayonet into a survival OR battle situation, I would leave the bayo at home. I would take one daily user and probably a more specialized , which could be a tiny swiss army knife, ..... whatever I predict would be most useful for my tasks. That's it. I have used every style of common blades for farm, field, recreation, shaving, wood work, battle, etc
Taught classes on most of these subjects.

Bayo is heavier than necessary and the wrong shape for most tasks. It also adds how many more inches to the barrel, naking it more cumbersome, slower to target, and likely to get hung up on forest vegetation. If it's for self defense after expected ammo runs dry, I would then consider getting training in a combat art right now, that can utilize any blades and make use of machetes for fighting. Advantage Combat would be the best IMHO.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/30/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 20 years ago at the Puyallup gun show there were many guns for sale from a gun store where the owner went to prison for adding detachable magazines to SKS rifles.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Great!!!...you guys never fail to make me laugh my A off!...I nearly busted a gut smile

In all seriousness. These SKS bayonets are good for one thing as intended and that's for sticking (mostly the wounded)

Ever try to sharpen a chromed blade? I don't know if the boys sharpened their blades for the short time the SKS was a front line weapon but probably the edge that folded into the stock smile

As an aside...The spike is a better "sticker" than the blade but folklore has it that you can't stop the bleeding from a wound caused by a cruciform (spike) bayonet . Not Geneva Convention approved.

"an armed society is a polite society"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
In SKSs I have; Russian, Chinese, Yugo, and Albanian.

With an SKS I can shoot about a 5" group with open sights.

After I glass bed, trigger job, turn off the gas system, handload 6mmPPC quality ammo in 7.62x39mm, butt length extender, and solidly mount a 40X scope..... still a 5" group.

But any old AR15 with quality handloads and a scope will shoot 1.1" groups for me.

What does it all mean?
SKS is a pile of junk. Get an AR15.

I'm sure ammo had nothing to do with those differences. smirk

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I have read the ATF has issues with adding bayonets to SKS's that don't have them and with taking them off SKS's that do have them. Make sense to a bureaucrat I guess.

Because they were imported as curios/relics based on having specific features. Typical stupid law that should only affect (if anyone) an importer if he violates it, but is used to scare regular folks who just want to modify their own personal property to their liking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can’t go wrong with steel.

Sam......

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 07/31/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
Concerning only a military issue SKS. No after-market add ons. As issued military weapon only,10 round box mag, stripper clips, etc.,

A hypothetical question; If it was your main survival weapon, etc., would you retain the bayonet, whether blade or spike, or would you remove it for lighter weight and better balance? Keep in mind that the bayonet is not readily or normally detachable....Thanks for any thoughts....Tree

All due respect to decenting opinions.
There may be those who use a bayonet for skinning small game, filleting fish, feathering tinder for fire starter, shaping wooden tools, tarp pegs, saplings for shelter, etc.
It's just me, but I have never considered a bayonet for anything other than a collectable. They do have much appeal for that and historical significance IMHO.

IF I were taking one rifle of choice that had a bayonet into a survival OR battle situation, I would leave the bayo at home. I would take one daily user and probably a more specialized , which could be a tiny swiss army knife, ..... whatever I predict would be most useful for my tasks. That's it. I have used every style of common blades for farm, field, recreation, shaving, wood work, battle, etc
Taught classes on most of these subjects.

Bayo is heavier than necessary and the wrong shape for most tasks. It also adds how many more inches to the barrel, naking it more cumbersome, slower to target, and likely to get hung up on forest vegetation. If it's for self defense after expected ammo runs dry, I would then consider getting training in a combat art right now, that can utilize any blades and make use of machetes for fighting. Advantage Combat would be the best IMHO.

^^^^^^
TreeMutt,

Thought that question was from some newbie city boy just going into the woods camping for the first time.
Now I see you were playing us.

Next time, I'll know better and say, Dumb question.
Don't waste my time.
Go read a book.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/31/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,571
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.