Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
I give all the ones I shoot away to others. Nobody in my family besides me likes them. Too bad though that is a lot of good meat.

Fortis, make souvlaki and dont tell them what it is. They will eat it and love it.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I have one of these game hangers that fits in a trailer hitch of truck. Shoot em, get them on the gambrel. Skin em out. Then bone them and place in a cooler on ice. Ive done the super cold ice water with salt. Its ok but prefer to not get the meat wet. Think flavor is more mild.

I like it better than elk. Not as good as moose, but close

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
I give all the ones I shoot away to others. Nobody in my family besides me likes them. Too bad though that is a lot of good meat.

Fortis, make souvlaki and dont tell them what it is. They will eat it and love it.

No doubt. Actually my wife made Greek Lasagna (Pastichio) and they loved it!

https://www.recipegirl.com/pastitsio-greek-lasagna/

[Linked Image from recipegirl.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
I have one of these game hangers that fits in a trailer hitch of truck. Shoot em, get them on the gambrel. Skin em out. Then bone them and place in a cooler on ice. Ive done the super cold ice water with salt. Its ok but prefer to not get the meat wet. Think flavor is more mild.

Here is my solution for a cheap game hanger- some black pipe, a 2x4 and some rope.

[Linked Image]

We've been using this or similar for years.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Has a little more flavor than venison. One of the biggest issues with antelope is getting the
animal broke down and the meat cooled right away.
Makes great summer sausage if you find it a little strong for you as steaks etc.
Just my 2 cents.

And a great investment at just 2 cents wink Don't run them all over hell and half of Texas, and however you do it get them cooled down ASAP.

Had some steaks from last years doe, and made some stroganoff last night from stew meat from the same doe. In a word? Delicious!

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by ribka

Here is my solution for a cheap game hanger- some black pipe, a 2x4 and some rope.

[Linked Image]

We've been using this or similar for years.

like it. Sure makes processing faster and easier

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fremont
I've eaten two bucks, both shot in cool-to-cold temps and handled properly. A grilled to medium, bacon-wrapped backstrap filet was one of the finest pieces of meat I've ever eaten. I have three 1 lb. packages of backstrap left in the freezer, and I'm chunking up for a batch of Speedgoat Chili using this recipe. I think it's delicious.

Went in 2018 with a retired friend who had an antelope hunt on his bucket list, and, after eating his buck, he is itching to shoot another one.

Hope you don't mind, I'm going to post that link in the food forum !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you watch herds of antelope be antelope .....

You will see during breeding season that the bucks will run their ever loving brains out!

It is my theory that the off hand bad tasting goat by some one who takes care of the carcass properly, has in fact inadvertently harvested one that had ran the equilvilent of three Kentucky derbys immediately prior to harvest.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker

No doubt. Actually my wife made Greek Lasagna (Pastichio) and they loved it!

https://www.recipegirl.com/pastitsio-greek-lasagna/

[Linked Image from recipegirl.com]

That looks really good. Its. Damn shame Montana doesnt really have much for greek food. This is about the only thing I miss from living in Michigan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have eaten a lot of antelope that had nothing but sage and grass to eat and all of them ate just fine.

Eaten a lot of antelope that had alfalfa and those ate fine.

Mule deer on a strict sage diet can be a bit rough.

On average I prefer antelope to elk and I sure like elk.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah..its just fine if you cool it ASAP.

Only tip is like venison, NEVER cook more than medium rare...

Good advice.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had it on several occasions over the years and cant stand it. All of the advice with getting it cooled off, sage eating, something not done right, etc, it still tastes terrible.
Never shot one and never will. Got no use for those critters.

Last edited by WTF; 07/23/20.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[

All that said, I also suspect there's something in pronghorn meat that makes the taste buds of a few people hate it--much like cilantro tastes like soap to some folks.

[/quote]
Then I "definitely" have those kind of taste buds, ha! smelly goat, swells up when you chew it, gak! Ha I love shooting them and I take great care of the meat. I then have it processed/wrapped and then I "give it away" to anyone who wants to try it. Its "pretty meat", but OMG....my taste buds and stomach find it revolting, ha.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
WTF and Jim,

Thanks for the info, which tends to confirm my theory about taste-buds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have killed two. Both were shot early in the morning, quartered, and put on ice within minutes (30 to 45). Best venison I've ever tasted.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First couple I shot just tasted like venison, nothing great or horrible about them. Last one I shot was hands down the best wild game I've ever eaten. No gamy smell when prepared, little to no gamy flavor to the meat at all. Never put them on ice, just hung and skinned and either cut up myself or hauled into the processor.

MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The only one ive killed and eaten was killed in Eastern Montana eating sage and brush.....was by far the best wild game ive ever had. I killed and had her skinned within 30 min and on ice in an hour tops. Eaten another one killed in Wyoming in similar area and it was phenomenal.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife's a bit picky with meat. Only thing I've shot and brought home that out ranks pronghorn for her has been bison and feral hog. Elk or any variety of deer has been way lower down the list for her. Not sure I disagree...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My favorite hunt and favorite meat. I have only ever eaten antelope from Montana and from mostly pretty sagey country, but the meat has all been great. As everyone has already said, getting it cooled quickly is the main thing. I start saving up plastic milk and juice jugs a month or two before the season starts. I fill them most of the way up with water and then freeze them. They go straight in the body cavity as soon as I get back to the car with at least two bewtween the hams. A lot less mess that way. I also let them hang for a week or so but the weather in Montana that time or year is generally pretty cool, especially at night. Don't cook them past medium; medium rare is better.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
Don't cook them past medium; medium rare is better.

That's the best advice ever on any wild game.....lol

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10Glocks, 02bfishn, 10gaugeman, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,806
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.