Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just received a new Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 scope. The turrets have no "O" rings for the turret caps. The first time I removed and replaced the caps, I noticed that on both the windage and elevation, there was no resistance when the cap was close to the tightened position. It just stopped abruptly. On close examination, I see there are what looks like grooves for "O" rings, but no "O" rings. So my question to those of you who have one of these scopes, Does yours have turret cap "O" rings? Thanks. RJ

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
i will have to look when I get home, but I can tell you if it is suppose to have them, I am sure Leupold will make it right. I once lost a pair of turret caps while sighting in, I forget to put them back on. Leupold didn't even charge me, they just sent a new pair free.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I never noticed it before but you're right. I have 2 VX-Freedom scoes and neither have the O-ring.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 07/30/20.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for your input guys. I am sure Leupold would send "O" rings, if these scopes are supposed to come with them. If this is a cost cutting measure, I think it is a pretty stupid one.

I just got out my scope and in one of my "O" ring assortments, I found "O" rings that perfectly fit the groove. Now when I screw down the caps, the last turn or so, I can feel the cap sealing on the "O" ring.

I am now curious to hear if other VX Freedom owners have "O" rings on their scopes. Thanks, RJ

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have two that I received a year ago as warranty exchanges for older model 2-7 Leupy's and they both have a rubber washer for the caps to seal with.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine is an older model, no o rings and no groove for them

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Curiousity won out I had to look, I have a couple of Freedom 3-9x40 and I checked them. They do not have an O-Ring but they do have a flat gasket of a synthetic of some sort and when tightening the covers they definitely have a bit of give that can be felt when the cap is tightened.
It actually appears to be a bit of a better solution than an O-Ring, they are wider and likely give a better seal than an O-Ring.

Take a look in good light and use a magnifying glass or hook a finger nail on the gasket and you can feel it, if it is there.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Drover,

I checked the turrets out with a loop, under a bright light before I put the "O" rings on. There was nothing there, naked. When the cap stopped, it was metal to metal. I am sure (almost sure) that the turret screws themselves, have "O" rings on them, but it is much better to have that second layer of water resistance on a rifle scope.

I ordered 2 of these from different sources. 2=7 scopes seem to be going away, so I figured I better grab a couple. After hearing that the turret dials were made from plastic, it made me skeptical of these scopes. I found a brand new Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 on Ebay and bought it I cancelled the order for the other Leupold Freedom. The Nikon is a much better scope with better glass, same eye relief, no plastic, very distinct adjustment clicks, more visible reticle.

I will give the Leupold a chance and will likely keep and use it. I was just disappointed about the "O" ring thing and the plastic dials. RJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better check Nikon's latest warranty.......not sure, seems they are DC their scope line, I may be wrong.

Not had any trouble with my Freedoms, and do not expect any.

Last edited by 65BR; 08/01/20.
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yes I know. I took a chance on one because of the scarcity of 2-7 (or 8) scope availability. RJ

IC B3

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Freedom 2-7x33, and it has synthetic gaskets that the turret caps rest upon. CP.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It's looking like somehow my scope missed out on getting the gaskets/"O" rings installed in manufacturing. RJ

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This thread has me concerned!

I just ordered a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36. It came new, sealed in box. Mine does not have the rubber gasket(o ring) either that the caps screw down onto...there is a groove for it but no rubber gasket. Definitely a screwup by Leupold! And it looks like it’s not just the Freedom line.

I’ll be calling Leupold Monday morning for an explanation and will be expecting some rubber gaskets sent in the mail pronto...this is just poor quality control.

Leftybolt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Leftybolt
This thread has me concerned!

I just ordered a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36. It came new, sealed in box. Mine does not have the rubber gasket(o ring) either that the caps screw down onto...there is a groove for it but no rubber gasket. Definitely a screwup by Leupold! And it looks like it’s not just the Freedom line.

I’ll be calling Leupold Monday morning for an explanation and will be expecting some rubber gaskets sent in the mail pronto...this is just poor quality control.

Leftybolt.

I'm interested to hear what Leupold tells you. It seems odd that they would assemble so many different scopes without the o-rings.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Leftybolt. I'm sorry that you got shorted on the gaskets too, but at least I know that this old man is not just imagining that the gaskets/"O" rings, did not come on my scope. RJ

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If concerned, a bag of neoprene washers or your own o-rings are probably cheaper than the time invested getting with Leupold and waiting on them anyway. I'd imagine they're not included for a reason, and a simple "mod" may be needed.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have 2 also, and neither one has a washer but to be honest, i am not seeing a groove for one with or without my glasses!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pahntr760,

I’ve been trying to find gaskets that would fit. Problem is finding one thin enough to fit the groove....everything I can find to purchase online is twice as thick as the one Leupold uses.
To properly fit and look right the gasket needs to be 1” OD x 3/4” ID x 1/32” thick.
If somebody sells this size I’d gladly purchase a few but I can’t find any.

Leupold should be willing to mail out the gaskets at their cost....it shouldn’t be a complicated issue.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 08/16/20.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have several newer Leupold scopes like 2-4 years old. I only looked at two, one a VX-2 4-12x40 and one a VX-3i 3.5-10x40. I checked and they have O-rings. Are you looking inside the cap for the O-ring or gasket? Mine are around the turret itself at the base of the turret just above where the turret meets the turret housing. It sounded like you were looking inside the cap, but I wasn't sure. As I said, my scopes are from 2 to 4 years old so they may have discontinued putting the O-rings on them since then. Maybe they decided they aren't needed seeing the threads on the caps are pretty fine. You know bean counters. But I think you'd have to submerge the scope in water to get any liquid inside. However, I still prefer O-Rings or some sort of gasket. The possibility of dropping the rifle in water is slim but not that slim.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/16/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Filaman
The possibility of dropping the rifle in water is slim but not that slim.

How many Navy Seals are on here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.