Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Any of you guys have experience with the Shooters world powders that Midsouth carries?

They’re cheap and available at present. Their website has a reloading guide with data for common calibers.

I’m thinking of getting an 8lber of Auto pistol or whatever they call it, supposed to be a real close match to AA5 which is a favorite of mine. Would be used in 9mm, 32mag, 38sp, and 45acp. Maybe some 44sp and mag too.

Thought about getting an 8lb jug of one of their rifle powders too while I’m at it. Mostly to feed my 223s and 222s though the slower powders might be good for other calibers too.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've shot some, though so far only rifle powders. So far haven't found any velocity stars, but accuracy has been good to very good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks Mule Deer. That sounds promising to me, I don’t have to have top velocities just decent accuracy.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
OK! Please let me know how it turns out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In case you are not already aware...

The manufacturer of Shooters World Powder used to be the supplier for many powders in the Accurate line-up, maybe a decade ago. So a version of the current powder called Auto Pistol powder used to be supplied to Accurate as AA-5. I was shooting it back then, you may not have. The factory is located in the Czech Republic. Current AA-5 is from a domestic source. Totally different powders but with similar density and burn rates.

Shooters World Powders are excellent and the current handgun formula have flash suppression and temp sensitivity enhancements. Overall, performance with these powders is excellent and they measure like liquid graphite.

As to that...the only issue one may encounter is that the handgun powders are so finely grained that they can leak somewhat from slide-bar type powder measures like the Dillon and Lee. It gets on the shell plate and has to be cleaned off. The measures have to be tightened up to eliminate this.

The rifle powders are also very good... they offer both single and double base powders and you have to read the description carefully to figure out which is which.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shall find out.....just ordered Precision Rifle. I'm going to use it with 69 gr SMK in the AR.

There are folks who claims it meters and shoots better than Varget. There are however, questions regarding temperature sensitivity . I will chrono during the warm weather and again in the winter to get a reading.

405wcf

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I just bought a pound of Tactical, which is about the same burn rate as 335. Will be loading and testing 55 grain Hornady soft points with it next week. A nearby reloading shop uses it exclusively in .223 loads. They say it is very clean burning. I am down to my last pound of Ramshot Tac, so heres hoping it gives good results.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I shall find out.....just ordered Precision Rifle. I'm going to use it with 69 gr SMK in the AR.

There are folks who claims it meters and shoots better than Varget. There are however, questions regarding temperature sensitivity . I will chrono during the warm weather and again in the winter to get a reading.

405wcf

I prefer to know right away before I start working up loads...

Heat up a few rounds to 120F and freeze a few down to 0F...run them across the chrono and see if there is a trend...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Heating and cooling rounds does NOT provide accurate info on temp-sensitivity. For real results, the tests have to be performed in the actual ambient temperature, whether below zero or 100 degrees.

This is because the temperature of the rifle makes far more difference than the temperature of the ammo, due to to chamber either heating or cooling chilled/heated ammo--and the bolt-face heating/cooling the primer.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 1minute, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.