-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sooo...riding the tractor today doing some bush hogging in the old grove (now just an over grown field), I was using my Ruger Redhawk for rat patrol. I shot three of them, one of them took two shots, missed one, so a total of 5 shells fired. Nothing felt different, no unusual recoil, or anything odd, until I went to dump the shells back in the house. I could not eject them as usual, ended up having to tap on the ejector rod to get them out. All 5 fired shells where split.

I was using the 45 ACP CCI Shot Shells with the moon clip. I have fired at least 2 boxes of the 45 Long Colt CCI Shot Shells with no issue. I think that I have also fired a complete box of the 45 ACP Shot Shells with no issue.

Obviously I am not going to fire any more of these, but am trying to figure this out. Is it a bad box of shells, the Aluminum cases just to brittle?

What do you guys think is the problem?

Regards and thanks for your input.

GW

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the redhawk chambered in .45 ACP? I would think if shooting them out of a .45 Colt the ‘bullet’ shaped nose section is simply expanding to the chamber dimensions of the .45 Colt and is cracking while it does so.

Last edited by K1500; 08/01/20.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Not the answer you were looking for but if you want to shoot shot out of a revolver purchase a S&W Governor.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet if you reload you could make full cylinder length shotshells out of 308 or similar brass. About 8 gr. of Unique with a mild pistol primer, a 410 wad will even fit inside if trimmed to length once the case is fireformed to the chamber dimensions. There will be a slight bottleneck so a little squeeze with a 44 or 41 die may be necessary.. A cardboard disc & a dab of epoxy finishes it off.

I do this with my 44 Mag, but brass is a bigger pain. I use 303 Brit or 30/40 brass but must thin the rim & reduce its diameter & then make the primer pocket the correct depth. Flat nasty to 15 or 20 feet. Snakes dont like it much. Never tried a rat.

Last edited by 358WCF; 08/02/20.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know CCI states: DO NOT USE IN REVOLVERS

But what do they know.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Might try the old method or a gas check set in the case after powder is dropped. Pour in #9 shot and then set a gas check on top set in up side down.Then a light crimp.

I think many years ago Mule Deer or some one posted to use even #12 shot and mild load of Unique. I could never find #12 ,so I took apart a few 12 gauge shotgun shells and used the # 9. I think I used 8gr of W231 in a.357 case.The article said the fine shot gives a better pattern and if you try to hot load, it will also disperse the pattern too much.

I think two .410 wads would work the same I used a .410 shot cup with a piece of paper cut from a 2x5 card wrapped around it to fit nicely in a 45-70 case topped of with an 1'/8th "piece of cork and crimped. The .308 case as mentioned above, might work the same.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Likely as not, the aluminum cases have just work-hardened since they were formed. It shouldn't matter, you're not going to reload the danged things anyway, so why should you even care?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Great_Wazoo
Sooo...riding the tractor today doing some bush hogging in the old grove (now just an over grown field), I was using my Ruger Redhawk for rat patrol. I shot three of them, one of them took two shots, missed one, so a total of 5 shells fired. Nothing felt different, no unusual recoil, or anything odd, until I went to dump the shells back in the house. I could not eject them as usual, ended up having to tap on the ejector rod to get them out. All 5 fired shells where split.

I was using the 45 ACP CCI Shot Shells with the moon clip. I have fired at least 2 boxes of the 45 Long Colt CCI Shot Shells with no issue. I think that I have also fired a complete box of the 45 ACP Shot Shells with no issue.

Obviously I am not going to fire any more of these, but am trying to figure this out. Is it a bad box of shells, the Aluminum cases just to brittle?

What do you guys think is the problem?

Regards and thanks for your input.

GW

[Linked Image]

No issues with the 45 Colt shotshells but issues with ACP shotshells??

The answer is right there.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by K1500
Is the redhawk chambered in .45 ACP? I would think if shooting them out of a .45 Colt the ‘bullet’ shaped nose section is simply expanding to the chamber dimensions of the .45 Colt and is cracking while it does so.

Sounds plausible to me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sounds like the problem is the guy shooting 45 acp ammo in a 45 colt chambered revolver.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This particular Redhawk is designed to shoot 45 Long colt, and also 45 ACP, you use a Moon Clip with the 45 ACP, works great with both, except this shot shell.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RemModel8
I know CCI states: DO NOT USE IN REVOLVERS

But what do they know.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Rem, that's the info I needed.

Regards,

GW

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
This particular Redhawk is designed to shoot 45 Long colt, and also 45 ACP, you use a Moon Clip with the 45 ACP, works great with both, except this shot shell.

Read K1500's entire answer.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Yeah, why trust the SOURCE? That would be CCI for the less astute.

Winning.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Winning.

Maybe because he said WHY NOT to use them in revolvers.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Winning.

Because the manufacturer says to NOT USE IN REVOLVERS.

Difficult to believe you made it to your 60's being so stupid.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Winning.

Every manufacturer also says not to use reloads. Do you listen to that, dumfuqk?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Winning.

Every manufacturer also says not to use reloads. Do you listen to that, dumfuqk?

Seems as though it is apropos in this instance. Here's a hint, they don't say it about every pistol shotshell they make, but keep showing your 'intelligence', it's hilarious.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,347
Posts18,526,961
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.