Print Thread
Hop To
J
jdm953 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I am guessing late 70s early 80s. It is like a big bathroom sink.Top is 1/2 thick fiberglass one piece with a curved front. Want to replace the faucet that is through the top on the side.Front is separate piece but seems to be glued on. How do I get to the faucet to replace it?Made to look like marble.The top over hangs the front panel about 1 inch. It may be solid surface material.

Last edited by jdm953; 08/02/20.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You'll either have to gain access from a side or from underneath. Often these things are put in with no thought for future access. I have cut thru sheetrock in an adjoining room or up from the basement or crawlspace to service fixtures and pump motors.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The panel has to come off. You have to get access to the faucet from underneath if you want to change it. How bout a suction cup on the panel to pull at the top? They sell em at Home Depot as a grab bar i think moen makes them.

J
jdm953 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the replies.Slab foundation so cant get under it. I was afraid I would have to go through the wall .The faucet is on the side not the head of the tub. May be best to make an access through the front panel.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by jdm953
Thanks for the replies.Slab foundation so cant get under it. I was afraid I would have to go through the wall .The faucet is on the side not the head of the tub. May be best to make an access through the front panel.

Probably so

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Before you cut into it, look at how it's fastened all around the edges. You might be able to pull the whole thing out easier than trying to patch a hole in the front. Hopefully the drain will just screw out unless it's rusted in place.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Before you cut into it, look at how it's fastened all around the edges. You might be able to pull the whole thing out easier than trying to patch a hole in the front. Hopefully the drain will just screw out unless it's rusted in place.

This^^
The panel is probably caulked into place. A Multi-tool with an oscillating saw blade around the perimeter and the suction cups previously mentioned are worth a try.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
jdm953 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This^^
The panel is probably caulked into place. A Multi-tool with an oscillating saw blade around the perimeter and the suction cups previously mentioned are worth a try.

Thats what I thought also.Cleaned both sides and bottom. Still very solid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How would cleaning loosen the panel?
The panel is probably caulked or glued at the top where it joins the tub rim. Carefully cut along that joint and see if you can then remove the panel.
If worst comes to worst, bust the panel out, replace the valve set, get a new panel that's a close match from the local cultured marble company. Or replace with Durock and a complementary tile.
OR:Access Panel

Last edited by NVhntr; 08/02/20.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
jdm953 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

The panel is probably caulked or glued at the top where it joins the tub rim. Carefully cut along that joint and see if you can then remove the panel.
If worst comes to worst, bust the panel out, replace the valve set, get a new panel that's a close match from the local cultured marble company. Or replace with Durock and a complementary tile.

IC B3

J
jdm953 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Cleaned with a 5in1..All caulking was removed.Top of panel was not caulked.Front panel is curved.It feels as though the top of front panel is set in a rabbit joint..Very solid.Thanks for the help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
just demo that outdated stuff and build a nice walk in shower.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
jdm953 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
just demo that outdated stuff and build a nice walk in shower.

Been thinking the same thing.The space would make a good shower Close to 6 foot by 3 1/2 foot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.