Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bubby has a 28x48 pier and beam home his daughter bought cheap, it had termite damage on the front, back and east side beams that I'm sure goes into the bottom plate and wall studs plus the 105 siding. he wants me to fix it and level it which I can do. I got the bottle jacks, will have to get some 4x6 beams to span the floor joist and shims to level it with once all the wood is replaced. what I need to know is what a fair price for doing it would be nowadays. Haven't done any of this stuff in about 12-13 yrs, and it's going to be f-cking hot.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any squatting or bending? How high/low is the work, chest, head? Need a duct jack to raise beam into place?

The hassle and do I have to crawl around affect my price.

Are those beams and pilings that significantly eaten up? Do they still have enough integrity to “let it ride” if the infestation was eradicated now?

Just my little bit to add. Wish I could add more to your questions

I used to always rent a duct jack when had any LVLs or premade headers and jive to raise up. I added a couple hundred a day just bring that jack onsite.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got a 1/2 dozen 20ton bottle house jacks. I think theyre 20s or maybe more. Heavy little SOBs to tote around

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Any squatting or bending? How high/low is the work, chest, head? Need a duct jack to raise beam into place?

Are those beams and pilings that significantly eaten up? Do they still have enough integrity to “let it ride” if the infestation was eradicated now?

I used to always rent a duct jack when had any LVLs or premade headers and jive to raise up. I added a couple hundred a day just bring that jack onsite.

about 24 inches to work with under there, pier and beam over dirt. those three sides are eaten up bad the joist running north and south are good, I planned on using the 4x6s and jacks to lift the north and south side one at a time, replace the beams and any plate and studs then do the east side 28ft last then level everything. but it will all be on our belly or back.

Last edited by stxhunter; 08/02/20.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a 1/2 dozen 20ton bottle house jacks. I think theyre 20s or maybe more. Heavy little SOBs to tote around

i have five or six if they haven't grown legs.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter

about 24 inches to work with under there, pier and beam over dirt. those three sides are eaten up bad the joist running north and south are good, I planned on using the 4x6s and jacks to lift the north and south side one at a time, replace the beams and any plate and studs then do the east side 28ft last then level everything. but it will all be on our belly or back.

I will be looking forward to some YouTube vids!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
STX, Let me ask you: What do YOU think is a fair price? It's your "friend" How good of a friend?

Are you doing this on your time (as in retired and nothing better to do? On a schedule?

Yeah, it's HOT, so only work mornings and evenings, think of a daily rate, and can you do this yourself or are you going to have to get day laborers?

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am in SW MO, and I do work like that. I am in a low wage area, usual factory jobs pay 11-14 bucks an hour to start. I am billing at 45 an hour right now, per man hour. If they want a bid price, I figure how many hours I think it will take, add I 20 percent, and bid it. You should get more for that work where you are, it is highly technical work not just any framer can do. And work not very many contractors are willing to do. Probably why he asked you. He may have had a hard time finding anyone, or gotten a price he thought was crazy. For me, the reason you call me is because you either will not, or cannot do the work yourself. I charge what I charge. If it is worth that not to have to do it yourself, you will pay it.

Fixing to put a metal roof on for a good friend. He insists on paying my normal rate, says I do it for a living so I get paid. For him, I would do it for free if I had time to. That is a good friend. Friend asking for you to spend hours of your life doing a crappy job for less than you could make elsewhere is not a good friend. Would you rather tile a shower than do his job? If so, his job should pay enough to make you not mind doing it instead of that tile job. Whatever that looks like.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hancock27
STX, Let me ask you: What do YOU think is a fair price? It's your "friend" How good of a friend?

Are you doing this on your time (as in retired and nothing better to do? On a schedule?

Yeah, it's HOT, so only work mornings and evenings, think of a daily rate, and can you do this yourself or are you going to have to get day laborers?

my contractor buddy said he'd want at least 10 grand, it's hard for me to figure a price till the siding is pulled off to see how many of the studs have to be replaced, so I'm just trying to come up with a fair price for labor and let them pay for material. I will have my son and one other helping, I pay them 15hr., i'm thinking it will take me maybe a week at most. it is 50 miles out of town so I got to figure that.

on flooring, I have set prices per sq yard or foot for everything.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Your back must be feeling alright to even consider doing something like this.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Hancock27

my contractor buddy said he'd want at least 10 grand, it's hard for me to figure a price till the siding is pulled off to see how many of the studs have to be replaced, so I'm just trying to come up with a fair price for labor and let them pay for material. I will have my son and one other helping, I pay them 15hr., i'm thinking it will take me maybe a week at most. it is 50 miles out of town so I got to figure that.

on flooring, I have set prices per sq yard or foot for everything.

Did something similar recently for a friend. Guy who got me my first big jobs. I wouldn't give a firm price unless it was high. $10,000 doesn't sound off the wall.
Stuff like that I do $35/hr per man and 15%-20% markup on materials.

The one I did was a freebie out of gratitude

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Seems like $10k is doing him a favor, walking into a project like that.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
What does that type of work go for by the hour.

You could get a professional estimate and discount from there.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/02/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
40/hr x 3 men=120 x 80 hrs= 9600. Round it up 10 seems a good start, considering youre not sure what youre getting into.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm sure you already know this, but it's definitely gonna be a lot worse than you think. Never seen one that wasn't.....
I hate renovation work, give me new construction everyday.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I'm sure you already know this, but it's definitely gonna be a lot worse than you think. Never seen one that wasn't.....

Amen!!!! Straightforward work, obvious and complete materials requirements.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I know that's why I stopped doing remodeling work years ago. more than once I under bid a job and ate it. I gave them a price and honored it.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this a friend discount job or a friend you know it will be done right and not rip me off job?

Over estimate and then at end of job back off whatever you believe is fair.

Take into account ALL your time even if you aren't gonna charge him for it.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
10 grand is cheap....doubt a contractor would even look at it for that around here. Tell him 10 and tell him you’ll adjust it up if you need to.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Is this a friend discount job or a friend you know it will be done right and not rip me off job?

Over estimate and then at end of job back off whatever you believe is fair.

Take into account ALL your time even if you aren't gonna charge him for it.

he is a good friend who is trying to get his daughter into her first house, he was my manager when I worked for oil states energy services.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (10Glocks, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.