J
Probably the safer bet.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Check with waterrat here. He has a couple and lives remotely on Lake Iliamna where they have lots of brown bears. The dogs do some amazing things.

Bernese Mountain dogs were mentioned by someone... they are a very sad excuse for a breed. The incredible health issues and early deaths added to the cost of buying one make them about the most expensive dog to own... and least useful.

I know nothing of the KBD's but remember that waterrat had posted about his in the past. He'd be the guy to talk to.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Probably the safer bet.

I have elk hunted the Payette National Forest. As well as fought forest fires all over the northern Rockies.

No question y'all have the elevation and damn Long Winters... but other than that West Virginia's about identical to the Sawtooth on typography... just way more rocky... thus the need for a very Nimble dog.

Jim, you might be a little pudgy.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

Probably should get about a dozen Rhodesian Ridgebacks then.

They hate the color black.

No way the neighbors shoot those.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Jim, are you sure it does not bother you to be so wrong so often about so many incorrect assumptions?

And are you sure that you're not actually from Oregon?

After all, there is no great shame in being an Oregon florist.

Flower arrangement has been considered a highly Noble profession for at least a decade now.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would look into getting the dog on Skype so jim can interview it before you buy, certainly you dont know what kind of dog you want. If jim says its ok, then that's the right dog. Best of luck.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Jim, are you sure it does not bother you to be so wrong so often about so many incorrect assumptions?

Flower arrangement has been considered a highly Noble profession for at least a decade now.

Am I not being serious enough here on the fire?

Here.....on the fire?

Why not post the Appalachian Anal Rape clip you are so proud of if'n you want to serious things up some.

Sensitive......sheesh.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey now

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha! Too far?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Hahaha! Too far?

Not really... just kinda ignorant... or Oregonish

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Russo-European Laika dogs are another name that come from the Karelia area of Russia/Finland.

Just depends what side of the border or which club UKC vs AKC you look them up in.
Finnish ones are more of the traditional black/white coloring and can be bigger, the Russo dogs are more varied in black/white shading and can be smaller and more agile.
Good luck with your search and decision.
Went back to GSD's myself after scratching the Karelian itch.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha! Too far?

Not really... just kinda ignorant... or Oregonish

Yes.....indeed.

So.....Mr. Serious......where do you live now?

Town or county?

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Country...

But not that bad... I can dail in two radio stations... three is I don't mind some static.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

Am I not being serious enough here on the fire?

Here.....on the fire?

Why not post the Appalachian Anal Rape clip you are so proud of if'n you want to serious things up some.

Sensitive......sheesh.

You would make a good stunt double for Ned Beatty if you dropped a couple hundred pounds.

But I wouldn't bother... Deliverance II probably won't happen now that Burt is dead.

Heard Roy Clark is dead too... can anyone confirm?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
So Town then?

Yeah......

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Gentleman, very much appreciate the time you've invested in helping answer questions. In the end, KDBs and many of other large breeds will need more range and effort than our mountain in WV would provide.

While WV is raw and beautiful... it is obviously nowhere near as vast as Montana, Idaho or Alaska. And with the primary vermin being coyotes, nosey black bears and crystal meth rednecks... maintenance and training of such large dogs does not remain logical.

We will look at smaller breeds. Highly nimble remains paramount. The Mountain Cur dog was brought to my attention by a friend. They were born and bred in the Appalachian Mountains... and most of the breeders remain in the central eastern mountains.

Stumbled across one breeder in Wyoming if anyone in the northern Rockies has similar interest in the breed.

http://www.wyomountaincurs.com

Since this thread is no longer about KBDs... I will ask if you have information about the Mountain Cur breed or knowledge of reliable breeders to please contact me by private message.

Thanks, Cash

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://i.imgur.com/XcKMjvt.jpg I'm trying to make pic's work.

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KBD work as adverised,, ours are exceptional with lots of on the job training. In Alaska you can trail a wounded bear with a leased dog,,at least the dog lets you know when you are closing in. My wife handle's and I try to keep up with a 458 ready to go. https://imgur.com/m4H0NpXhttps://imgur.com/H9evhMZhttps://imgur.com/m4H0NpX

I tend to use more than enough gun
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by waterrat
KBD work as adverised,, ours are exceptional with lots of on the job training. In Alaska you can trail a wounded bear with a leased dog,,at least the dog lets you know when you are closing in. My wife handle's and I try to keep up with a 458 ready to go. https://imgur.com/m4H0NpX

https://imgur.com/H9evhMZ

https://imgur.com/m4H0NpX

Spaced out your pics... Nice looking family!

Nice looking bear!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 27 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.