Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
What is the best thing to use to seal a barrel channel after sanding the wood?

Something impervious to moisture to protect the wood....

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
HR IC

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Anything that one would use on the outside of the stock itself would do the job. I’ve used Tru-Oil.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WEST epoxy.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Like Poconojack I've used Tru-Oil more than once. Think I've used Minwax wipe on poly a time or two too. After whatever you use is good and cured, generally after about a months time, a coat of wax unbuffed in the barrel channel and stock inletting adds further protection. Don't use car wax or anything with silicone in the wax. A can of Johnsons paste wax for wood floors in the yellow can works fine, and one can is a lifetime supply.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pal
WEST epoxy.

100%

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Permalyn from Brownells

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're all wrong.
Sitka Deer will be along directly to set you straight. smile

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Use a finish as close to the rest of the stock as possible. Epoxy in the barrel channel with a plain oil finish is a mistake. When relative humidity changes from conditions when sealed the rest of the fore end will absorb or lose water much faster than the barrel channel.

That can create stress and bending of the fore end.

A simple oil finish in the barrel channel of a polyurethane finished stock can cause the reverse.

Only epoxy and CA make a truly waterproof finish... oil finishes actually move atmospheric water faster than bare wood.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr
You're all wrong.

Jealousy is a tough emotion to get past...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I finish stock with BLO for color, truoil for built up layers and a little gloss, then Renaissance wax for added protection. (Entire stock including inletting gets all 3 stages.)

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I use tru-oil or boiled linseed oil I put on as many coats inside the barrel channel as on the outside of the stock. Depending on the wood that may be 50 to 60 coats, rubbed in.

If the rifle is going to be an all weather and I’m using laminate aged wood. I’ll open the channel a bit and fill with epoxy, leaving plenty of room for free floating the barrel.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Use a finish as close to the rest of the stock as possible. Epoxy in the barrel channel with a plain oil finish is a mistake. When relative humidity changes from conditions when sealed the rest of the fore end will absorb or lose water much faster than the barrel channel.

A simple oil finish in the barrel channel of a polyurethane finished stock can cause the reverse.

Only epoxy and CA make a truly waterproof finish... oil finishes actually move atmospheric water faster than bare wood.

What do you do if you want to full-length bed a light barrel? Epoxy or CA on the stock before the oil finish?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're all wrong.

Tougher than arrogance?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've used a mixture of 1 part polyurethane to 9 parts mineral spirits to weather proof a stock channel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're all wrong.

Tougher than arrogance?

If you had the slightest basis to challenge the information it would look a lot better than sniveling "arrogant" just for being correct. Since you have never been able to challenge the information it makes your foot-stomping and tears pathetic.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JRaw

What do you do if you want to full-length bed a light barrel? Epoxy or CA on the stock before the oil finish?

Extremely good question... several important considerations would include the grain flow through the fore end... If it is perfect you have options ranging from just do it and ignore the wood to full on prevention. And the types of wood make a difference, though most woods considered for stocks are quite stable. Also the age of the blank in terms of how long it has been dry can have a big effect. Many stock makers will not touch wood less than ten years dry. Kiln-dried woods without significant age is another concern.

On a myrtle blank about 20 years dry I was concerned about the grain because it comes up through the fore end a bit aggressively and it is half way between quartersawn and boardsawn... the annual rings are 45 degrees from vertical. So I completely hollowed the fore end through the main stretch from just in front of the recoil lug to about the last six inches of fore end. The shell is about 1/4" thick and it took a lot of time to get it hollowed. I filled it with sections of graphite fishing rod sections bedded in epoxy fluffed with microballoons.

It has not moved even the slightest bit. And the entire stock only weighs 23 ounces even though the myrtle was very dense for myrtle. I also reduced weight by hollowing the butt as much as I have ever dared.

An epoxy or CA finish would probably work as well without near the effort expended on hollowing the fore end.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by retired3100
I've used a mixture of 1 part polyurethane to 9 parts mineral spirits to weather proof a stock channel.

Please finish one side of a board with your mixture and the other side with the polyurethane alone. After an equal number of coats cut the test board in half and compare the penetration between the two sides. Thinning finish makes it easy to apply. It does not make it penetrate deeper. Especially at 9:1 it is less waterproof than plain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're all wrong.

Tougher than arrogance?

Guys, guys, guys!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Minwax Helmsman exterior poly.
If it is good enough for a ship wheel, it will protect a barrel channel.

I don't care if it is the same finish as the outside. I don't soak the outside of the stock. But water under the barrel sure will soak the open grain of the inletting

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenMi
Minwax Helmsman exterior poly.
If it is good enough for a ship wheel, it will protect a barrel channel.

I don't care if it is the same finish as the outside. I don't soak the outside of the stock. But water under the barrel sure will soak the open grain of the inletting

Your point is not sound logically, though...

You are suggesting it is one or the other, only. It isn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,431
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.