-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
not with the scope. I recently bought one now that they have one that works with an iPad. The first bore that I checked was my most accurate rifle, a Remington 700 Classic chambered in 250 Savage, and look what I found. Most of the pitting is in a small area about 12” from the muzzle. The barrel has always felt kind of strange whenever I push a patch through it!! I sure would like to know what caused the pitting, looks more like a meltdown. I bought the rifle NIB, so I’m a little shocked, especially since the rifle consistently puts 100 grain Ballistic Tips into a 1/2” or better using IMR 4895 or H414. I guess a pristine bore isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those look more link deposits than pits, they also look crystalline... so they could be growing from deposits in pits.

I would JB bore paste them and then look again.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't shoot the donor and don't examine your good shooting rifles with a bore scope! RJ

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looks like Carbon Buildup

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I always heard what to do with a half minute rifle. Don't F... with it! The only thing I'd do with that rifle is just keep shooting it. If it goes south later then you could bore paste it.

Also, barrels can shoot good with pits and maybe damage as long as the throat and the muzzle crown are ok. But if the throat is eroding or the rifling is chipped at the crown it can really throw it in a kink.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/03/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't feel too bad.I recently picked up a 1989 Ruger 77 tang safety 338 Win Mag.The rifle looked almost brand new,trigger was horrible at around 6-7lbs,which I adjusted down to around 3lbs or so.Stock was unmolested,so I left as is.I had heard that some of the barrels were bad during that time period.Bore scoping the barrel revealed it hadn't been shot much,I'd bet no more than a box,no erosion at all,but the bore had numerous tool marks across the lands and grooves and about 1"-2" down the barrel it looked horribly pitted.I'm really not sure it is rust pits though,it's all the way around the barrel about 1" down the barrel from where the bullet tip of a loaded round is chambered in the rifle.It's ugly.I really felt disappointed after I bore scoped it and didn't expect it to shoot too well.I made up a few loads for it to kinda get a feel for the rifle.I loaded up some 200gr Accubonds for the test loads.Anyway I was surprised the rifle does shoot fairly well.I checked the velocities with my Magnetospeed.I had loaded 70.0grs of Big Game-3056fps.With Accurate 4350,72.0grs-3008fps,73.0grs-3054fps.All three loads shot just under an inch at a 100yds.I had two of the Big Game loads left and shot them at 200yds and they were 1" apart.Just goes to show you you cannot tell how well a barrel will shoot by looking down the barrel.Here is some bore photos.

Last edited by baldhunter; 08/03/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't think that barrel left RUgers Factory in that shape.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The rest of the barrel looks bad too.Not pitted but deep scratches throughout the bore.I believe Wilson may have been making barrels for Ruger at that time.But hey,as long as it shoots well,I'm gonna shoot it as is.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Somebody needs to write a folk song about the foibles of owning a borescope.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by baldhunter
The rest of the barrel looks bad too.Not pitted but deep scratches throughout the bore.I believe Wilson may have been making barrels for Ruger at that time.But hey,as long as it shoots well,I'm gonna shoot it as is.

It probably is a Wilson barrel, I think the previous owner didn't know how to take care of a gun.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s probably going to foul like crazy, but might shoot ok.

Lapping (real lapping not just JB bore paste) by a smith that knows how to lap will help it quite a bit.... Then I’d ultra-bore coat it to try to cut down on the fouling, provided it shot well.

Remember it’s the cut of the grooves, and tightness of the bore where it contacts that matters - holes don’t contact so as long as the edges are gone and it grips the bullet right, then it’s just how bad it will foul.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/03/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shot it about 15 times.I"m going to check it again to see what kind of copper it left in the barrel.Before I shot it,I cleaned it and the barrel was really clean,just a tiny streak near the muzzle

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I really could care less about what my rifle bores look like. All I care about is what shows up on paper and more importantly the field. The main reason I haven’t spent the money.
GreggH

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I shouldn’t worry about it as long as it shoots like this 😁

Last edited by 257Deland; 08/03/20.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't worry about it a bit so long as it shoots good. Years ago I had a Rem. 788 in .222 with a bore that was lightly pitted from end to end and it shot sub MOA groups for years.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
It’s probably going to foul like crazy, but might shoot ok.

Lapping (real lapping not just JB bore paste) by a smith that knows how to lap will help it quite a bit.... Then I’d ultra-bore coat it to try to cut down on the fouling, provided it shot well.

Remember it’s the cut of the grooves, and tightness of the bore where it contacts that matters - holes don’t contact so as long as the edges are gone and it grips the bullet right, then it’s just how bad it will foul.

Looks like it may be a candidate for bore-coat.I've never used it before,but after 16 rounds down the tube it appears to be a copper collector,especially after the bullet contact the pitted area.I know Dyna-coat has been highly praised on here.Would it help on this?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Deland
I guess I shouldn’t worry about it as long as it shoots like this 😁

Leave it be.It shoots great!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

One thing - never switch types of bullets ... once copper is there, it hates different types of copper and will foul more so

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.