Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Around here some of the Grandmas will still dry out apples, usually sun-dry instead of dehydrate, and make fried apple hand pies. Insanely good. Basically the homemade and million-times-better version of a McDonald's Apple Pie. Becoming a lost art though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKduck
Originally Posted by Higginez
None of you guys are right!

Golden Grahams is where it's at!

Yup

I was reading through this wondering if anyone was going to bring those up. The problem is a box of those can be ate in one sitting if you aren’t careful.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fruitloops with Marshmallows..., Frosted Flakes, then Cheerios w/sliced bananas.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124
Around here some of the Grandmas will still dry out apples, usually sun-dry instead of dehydrate, and make fried apple hand pies. Insanely good. Basically the homemade and million-times-better version of a McDonald's Apple Pie. Becoming a lost art though.

my grandmother used to do that. I remember the saw horse drying rack in the back yard full of cut up apples from the tree. She gave them out to friends and family.She brought a plate full of them to her doctor once.

I haven't thought about those pies in years.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by KFWA

my grandmother used to do that. I remember the saw horse drying rack in the back yard full of cut up apples from the tree. She gave them out to friends and family.She brought a plate full of them to her doctor once.

They're one of the best things ever, but pretty hard to find now.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sugar Smaks or Honey-nut Cheerios.

But I haven't had cereal in quite some time. I sure do miss it but feel a lot better without the extra grains, sugars, and their carbs.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image from images.media-allrecipes.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MikeL2

My long lost brother!!!

But...........................where's my jelly donut?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Dammm,

I might move to KY for one of them. Or at least come for a visit.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I've yet to meet an apple worth $3 each.

Better weigh close to 2 lb at that price.

And I dehydrate apples for when they're not in season. I'm no fan of storage apples in April, or apples from Chile and Peru then either.

They're a whole lot easier to carry in a pack while hunting when they're dried too.
My wife slices them up and cans them. She also makes apple pies, apple sauce and cinnamon apple sauce, which is delicious. We still have several pints of applesauce and canned apples in the cupboard from last year. We have golden delicious, red delicious, sweet sixteen, red prarie spies, honey crisp and cortlands growing out in the side yard.

Haven't canned any apples yet, never thought about it. Applesauce gets frozen though.

Wish I had that many trees in production, but we're just getting started and I think it's going to be rough around here. Lost a 5' tall young tree to fire blight this year. Now I know what to look for so can do some judicious pruning when I see it getting started. Couple of folks here have told me it's prevalent in the area though.

In it is contentment

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Dammm,

I haven't tried it but this recipe looks about right. Her finished product definitely looks correct. After reading the recipe you can see why these are dying out - a hell of a lot of work. Those old Grandmas were badazzes in the kitchen.

https://southernfoodandfun.com/grannys-fried-apple-pies/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, that's a lot of work for sure. Maybe I can talk my wife into it, she's the baker in the house. grin

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to be an old womern at our church. Her contribution to our Fall Fun, and hayride event was to make those same little hand folded single user fried pies.

90 something years old with a jumbo Fry Daddy thingamabon cooker.

Disfiguringly hot oil

She’d make 3-4 dozen apple and a couple dozen apricot. was always iffy on whether or not you was going to even get one with 200 chow hounds milling around.

I scored am apricot once, but dayum...I was one of the hay wagon drivers.

They never stayed for the hayride or the cross burning

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MikeL2

My long lost brother!!!

But...........................where's my jelly donut?

Those are genuine fried cakes - can't fry a jelly donut!

Unless you have figured it out - fried jelly donuts?? - the holy grail!!

And for the skeptics - yes you can put a cold donut in a bowl of milk and call it cereal if you want. I wouldn't, but you can.

Last edited by MikeL2; 08/04/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have a recipe for them fried cakes?

If so, I wonder if on could leave the "holes" in the donut, split the dough a little, fill it with jelly, pinch the dough closed like them fired pies and make some jelly donuts?

Set me up with a recipe and I'll see what we can do. I have most of a jar of homemade black currant jelly, that would make one hell of a donut!

Had some angle food cupcakes with strawberries and honey the wife made just now. I'm about ready for a jelly donut.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dammm,

I haven't tried it but this recipe looks about right. Her finished product definitely looks correct. After reading the recipe you can see why these are dying out - a hell of a lot of work. Those old Grandmas were badazzes in the kitchen.

https://southernfoodandfun.com/grannys-fried-apple-pies/

those look like my grandmothers.I'm going to ask my wife if she will try.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cracklin Oat Bran...by a wide margin. Damn expensive, though. Wife and kids usually get me a box for Fathers Day. Wheaties and Golden Grahams family size boxes are almost single serving if I’m hungry enough.

In the last year, the wife has perfected sour cream donuts so when she really wants to treat us, she knocks a couple dozen of those out the night before.

I’m a lucky guy. 🤤

Fear the crabcat.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

those look like my grandmothers.I'm going to ask my wife if she will try.

If you all try them, I would be interested in how they turn out. They sure do look like the real deal.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Quisp
Rice Krinkles

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.