Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have never had a PayPal account. I tried to set one up once, for three days with CCs and DC to purchase gun stuff, but was not able.

So is PayPal ultimately safe?

Vendor in Japan has outboard motors at half price of American vendors. Will only accept "direct bank transfer via PayPal". He will not accept payment via CC, except through PayPal.

I assume it is a "grey market" product, if not a scam. I can live happily with grey market, if I actually get the product.

The question is, .... IF I can manage to set up a PayPal account.....and I never receive the product, is my money recoverable from PayPal?

Yes, it is a $2000 dollar savings. So I am willing to jump through some hoops, if I have a safety net.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a paypal account for as log as I can remember and never had an issue. As for as the outboard if you buying it through ebay you have some protection. If not, all bets are off.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
PayPal offers buyer protection as long as you don’t send friends and family to save the fees. As long as he isn’t asking friends and family you should be covered but I would confirm with PayPal on a large purchase like that

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Better double-check to see if you have any protection when doing a direct bank transfer outside the US.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I see more ways that the situation goes wrong then ways that it goes right. But who knows, maybe it’s worth the risk for $2000. Having recently had a major issue on a Japanese outboard, I’d be much more worried about the warranty.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Wouldn't there be import duties or taxes on that?

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
what is the issue with setting up the account ? I can help if you are in Boise

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Simply then, pay with credit card thru PayPal. You likely don't need an account. Have you proceeded thru the checkout process far enough to see>

Link us your item.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
No issues with setting up a PP account. Use one on a regular basis. However, a "too good to be true" deal... Across international boundaries... Caveat Emptor...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not meant to be harsh but if you can't manage to set up a PayPal account you likely shouldn't shop online, it's really that simple.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Vemo is another option

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not a fan of PayPal, but you can fund your PayPal purchases with a major credit card and retain consumer protections through the underlying MC/Visa agreement. Check with your CC provider Customer Service first.

I would stick to a regular purchase and I wouldn't do a direct transfer...lots of PayPal scams out there, as well as PayPal itself.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Setting up a Paypal is fairly simple.... Maybe some youtube videos might help. Your not even saying what the issue is. Its a virtual bank so if your trying to bull$hit it with personal or banking info its not going to work. IIs not signing up for a burner yahoo mail its an online financial institution.

Last edited by k20350; 08/04/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First thing I'd do, before even thinking of setting up PP, is talk to someone, not through a forum but in person or on the phone about the outboard motor transaction.. how it turned out.

The problem is not with PP but the merchandise.

Been a PP user for over 25 years with nary a problem. Have dealt with some shady sellers. You know the Asian counterfitters can make some pretty real looking stuff.

Beware!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't touch that offer with a 3,000-mile stick.

But as far as Paypal is concerned, it's fairly safe. I use PP Credit on ALL purchases. The seller gets his money from PP but I don't have a cent at risk. As soon as I get the merchandise in good order, I pay the PP Credit account in full. Doing it that way gives me one more level of protection, in my opinion. Fortunately, I've never had to test it.

You do have to overlook the fact that Paypal is vehemently anti-gun, of course.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paypal--->CC

All bases covered.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Stay away from the outboard motor deals, from Japan and Taiwan. Big scam country! Research and you will agree with me!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had my bank info stolen from my PayPal i couldnt get PayPal to admit to it but I traced it back to there.
That was 2 years ago since I don't do paypal anymore nary a problem.
My nephew and his wife had there's stolen bank info from paypal and they admitted to his being stolen from them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeadHead
PayPal offers buyer protection as long as you don’t send friends and family to save the fees. As long as he isn’t asking friends and family you should be covered but I would confirm with PayPal on a large purchase like that

Paypals so called buyer protections sucks.
Just had them side with a seller who said I received and item which I did not.
Never even got a confirmation email from the for the sale.
Had to go through my CC company who within 10 minutes credited me.
Canceled my paypal account right than.
F--- Paypal.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Stay away from the outboard motor deals, from Japan and Taiwan. Big scam country! Research and you will agree with me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.