Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Processed dozens of sales & hundreds of purchases with very little issue with PayPal. You can buy reloading dies & brass but no guns or ammo, I think all archery stuff is OK.

International buyers & sellers is too complex & risky but have purchased $1000+ items fairly seamlessly. Does the seller have real feedback ratings in the hundreds? If not I’d be unlikely to trust that type of transaction.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought outboard motors all had to be EPA compliant? How does a vendor in Japan get around that? You could run into trouble with a MIJ outboard trying to get it serviced or warranteed. Sound slike a bad deal.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Paypal--->CC

All bases covered.

This is what I do.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used both PayPal and eBay for years and never had an issue....,that all changed a couple of months ago.

Long story short...Goods were ordered but not delivered, not signed for....Opticsplanet was the shipper, eBay was transactional agent for OpticsPlanet, PayPal was the funding agency. USPS was to be the delivery agent.

USPS says they have a signature accepting delivery, but they cannot produce it. I called them on that... Used the phrase “your postman is a liar, a thief or suffers from a serious lack of ‘give s**t.’ ..... they said they may have actually put the package in a parcel lock box at the neighborhood postal station.....but have now gone silent and will not take any action. They don’t want to look into this as their postman is either a liar and thief.... or just a dummy that put the delivery in the wrong box.

All four are trying just to shake the booger off their finger. Finally told the bank to get my money back. Still “in process” after 7 weeks.

Upshot.... too many hands involved. I will only use PayPal and eBay for trinkets.

Long version.....

Wife ordered $1250 of goods from eBay and used PayPal to pay for it. To be delivered to son in Texas. The account we had set up automatically charged our credit card....mistake..... Anyway, the goods never arrived, so she asked me to check. First stop was eBay. They said there was not any problem at all as the goods were delivered. The corroboration they offered was that the USPS said it was delivered. I said wait, “not so fast” ....there is a problem.....Many phone calls and emails ensued. eBay said they would look into it and make it right. Two days later they told me to buzz off and to deal with OpticsPlanet, the supplier and actual shipper of the goods. Opticsplanet was useless and unresponsive. They did finally send an email saying something like “put a tracer on it.” OP now silent for four weeks. During this time I contacted PayPal. They assured me that I was covered but to first run the traps with the USPS. Ok, did that. So, OP and eBay say it is a USPS issue.... the USPS refuses to address the issue at all. Still can’t produce any evidence of delivery. I asked PayPay about their “guarantee? They told me that since I had gotten the bank involved, they could not help me. Never said anything about that previously. Figures.... shake that booger off.

I may have made a mistake.... When they told me to buzz off, I asked If PayPal had an office in a real building? Nice PayPal lady asked why.....told her that the only way I was going to get any satisfaction at all was to put a brick through their window. Not my best day..... apparently lost my temper.....?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The motor deal sounds.....TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. Some people must learn the hard way though.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by smarquez
I thought outboard motors all had to be EPA compliant? How does a vendor in Japan get around that? You could run into trouble with a MIJ outboard trying to get it serviced or warranteed. Sound slike a bad deal.

First, all outboards under forty horse are MIJ. All but Honda are made by Tohatsu and rebranded as Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, or Nissan.

This item is a Tohatsu 20 hp.

Problems with PayPal. Yessass! I set up an account last fall to try to purchase a rifle stock from Ebay. Three days of trials, three days of phone calls to PayPal, and the CC company. PayPal never could process a payment, even though the phone reps at PayPal and CC both said all was set up properly. I had to ask seller to cancel the Ebay transaction and he relisted the stock.

I attempted to use two different CC and my DC to no avail.

PayPal account still existed a hour ago, but can not process a transaction from CC. Not even a $10.00 transfer into my own bank account.

I Cancelled the PayPal account this evening.

For anyone interested in the vendor: it is www.outboardonlineshop.com

Which is in no way related to onlineoutboards.com, a well respected American vendor

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Deleted text.

As I said earlier, you can pay with your CC via PayPal without a PayPal account. I darn near about bought a damned outboard myself just now to confirm. .

HOLD ON, THERE'S MANY Misspelling GRAMMER RED FLAGS ON THAT SITE. I'D HAVE TO SEE US BASED REVIEWS. Didn't find any.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/04/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
And don't link your bank account to your PayPal account.

Some folks don't seem to have any problems until they do.

Their agreement says they can go into your account and take any money they want at any time without notice or permission.

It's happened to me and others I know. I had to close those accounts to stop them. If you are a seller that's not as easy to circumvent, but use a dedicated account just for PayPal disbursements and set it up to transfer money out soon after it arrives.

The other problem is that it takes at least a minimum of financial integrity to have a credit card in the US but any US or foreign scum bag can open a PayPal account and you can't easily determine their motives.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done literally thousands of PayPal transactions with no problem.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
And yet, PayPal can not process my first transaction.

Probably just as well. Further research shows that PayPal guarantees do not extend to motor vehicles, aircraft, or boats. Those exclusions may or may not extend to outboard motors.

I am looking for a four stroke, electric start, fuel injected, short shaft 20 hp outboard. I finally got deep enough into www.onlineoutboards.com which is with Cumberland Watersports in Tenn, to find some older, but new in the box motors.

I ordered a 2018 Tohatsu which suits my needs for just a bit over 2 grand. The 2020 model is well over $1000 more expensive. Both come with a five year warranty from delivery.

I could have purchased a 2015 NIB Nissan, (Tohatsu manufacured) for $1000. But it has a carburetor. I would highly recommend anyone needing such a motor to take a look at that Nissan.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have never had a PayPal account. I tried to set one up once, for three days with CCs and DC to purchase gun stuff, but was not able.

So is PayPal ultimately safe?

Vendor in Japan has outboard motors at half price of American vendors. Will only accept "direct bank transfer via PayPal". He will not accept payment via CC, except through PayPal.

I assume it is a "grey market" product, if not a scam. I can live happily with grey market, if I actually get the product.

The question is, .... IF I can manage to set up a PayPal account.....and I never receive the product, is my money recoverable from PayPal?

Yes, it is a $2000 dollar savings. So I am willing to jump through some hoops, if I have a safety net.

What's his feedback?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I've had a paypal account for as log as I can remember and never had an issue.

Same here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
And yet, PayPal can not process my first transaction.......

Yet it works for 10s possibly 100s of millions of others around the world... Hmmmmm.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Red flags?

Phone number listed comes up for the shopping center not a specific business within it? Hmmm.

Sloppy for the smart Japs.

So you don’t be worry about our service and products guarantee.

Copyright © 2020 Outboard Online Shop All Right Reserved. |

Over 1000 Japan and International Brands
we sell many outboard Equipment.

Return Policy valid 365 days for international order now. So you don’t be worry about our service and products guarantee.
(too good?)

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/05/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had a paypal account for several years and use it at times. My concern is that if you have a problem with a paypal purchase you're stuck with long wait times on the phone only to speak with someone in a foreign country about your problem. You may not be able to understand them very well nor they you. And you're buying from someone that claims to be based in Japan but you have no way of knowing and no way of getting them to take care of any issues.

Also to prefer paypal by a seller is not always so good a sign. It is an easy way as a seller to get paid but paypal is going to keep about 5% of the price, including shipping, as their fee. This amounts to several dollars for this deal. So why do they only accept paypal? You may get a good deal and be glad you made it but for me this entire thing has a certain smell to it that tells me to stay away.

Also in regard to paypal. I have an account with photoshack and it's paid through my paypal account. The yearly fee is $39.95. The 2nd year it renewed they charged me twice that amount. I took it up with photoshack but no luck. Then with and still nothing. I lost that $39.95 and it happened the next year too. Still no refund. I ended up having to go through my bank and block anything from going to these people. So if you expect good customer service from paypal you'll be let down.

Last edited by Jim1611; 08/05/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.