-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry a stick or a shillelagh on occasion in locations not allowing carry of my gat or when I know I'll be around groids. When in Walmart I go straight to the French Rolling Pins and put one in my buggy.. peace of mind.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
I carry a stick or a shillelagh on occasion in locations not allowing carry of my gat or when I know I'll be around groids. When in Walmart I go straight to the French Rolling Pins and put one in my buggy.. peace of mind.

g

LOL! GOOD!
Most likely those would be more useful than the "gat"
if someone started something. Most of the time a less or less than lethal meassure is required under the law's"use of force continuum. You know escalation.
Ie. Verbal insult is not supposed to be met with a shove.
A shove is not to be responded with a firearm.
Somewhere in-between is the gray area that a rolling pin might be useful for more than pizza. 😉

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

g
go to sportings and put a ball bat in your cart, leave it by the compulsive candy as youre checking out

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i occasionally use a cane due to recurring back issues but also like them for their defensive usefulness. I have a small collection of wood walking sticks and canes. When I find a piece of wood I like, I make another. Some are weighted, some have steel tips. As I get older, my balance does seem to be a little off at times and I can imagine the day it might not be optional. GD

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a big fan of these folks:
https://www.walkingcaneco.com/

My babinga-tiger maple, natural hickory, and maple Fritz canes from them:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

-=[Bob]=-
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

g
go to sportings and put a ball bat in your cart, leave it by the compulsive candy as youre checking out

Done that too Slum but in my most local WM the rolling pins are one isle in, second row right.. baseball bats in the very back with outdoors and sporting goods.
I be economical with the steps I take in the big stores wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I walk on unlevel ground or go hunting, I use walking sticks/trekking poles.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/06/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And by toting a shilelagh you're supporting your white background, as they originated in Ireland.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my injuries from playing kick ball on the basketball court with college students. My calf tore.
I used longer hiking sticks made from white oak. The length gave lots more stability than the short cane until I got the crutches.

As to weapons. I've used many, but of the walking variety, there's lots to consider....more than I can speak to this AM.
One thing to consider is how much the cane weighs.
What to do if/when the bad guy (bg) catches a strike and tries to take it from you.
Crutches are about the worse for a weapon, but offer better stability. The video below was posted elsewhere but reminds me of this topic.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What NOT to Do with your cane

This demonstrates my last point.post.
This foolish woman had a cane.
The fat n sassy sista did what came natural to her.
The woman had zero training on the proper use of a cane for self defense.
Now she has a broken leg and needs thousands of $ in hospital treatment, follow up appointments, pain and suffering, sleepless nights, regrets, and a wheelchair and crutches.

A month or three of lessons would have provided the lessons to save her all of that grief.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously,

1. The black and sassy woman was wrong for not ignoring the handicapped lady who was being sassy with her about the mask. What she did was criminal.

2. The copy machine cane woman was likely someone who was liberal know it all including whats best for others concerning masks. Should have kept her mouth shut and minded her own business. Her cane was a handy handle for the black woman to grab.

3. The customers and employees ignored the injured woman. Normal people would show some sympathy even to and injured woman by asking if they can call an ambulance or family member for her. Just .02 c
Got to drink the rest of my coffee and get back to it.
Cheers ☕🙂 👍

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/06/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought a willow stick the other day, my back gets tired when I'm on my feet for a long time.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

And by toting a shilelagh you're supporting your white background, as they originated in Ireland.

I don't have red hair. Being white ain't my fault. DGAS anyhoo. As an alternative I could tote a black mamba in a carry case and just throw it on someone that deserves it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Will some canes fire a single shot 22?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
White woman got exactly what she deserved. Very lucky that the black gal didn't stomp her when she tried to kick - trip her. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Will some canes fire a single shot 22?

I read a article where one of Skeeter Skelton's friends used a cane that shot .410. Pretty sure was a wounded Marine colonel? I'm sure some of these old folks on here know the story.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was a kid, our next-door neighbors (well, across our creek and the other side of a patch of woods) were a very old retired Irish sea captain and his wife. Mrs. Williamson made a daily one mile walk to the post office, and always carried a shillelagh for protection against dogs. And I had no doubt she knew how to wield it. She always smoked Phillies cigars. Used to save the cigar bands for me and I could redeem them for prizes, usually record albums, like Burl Ives and the Irish Rovers. They just don't make 'em like her anymore.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
White woman got exactly what she deserved. Very lucky that the black gal didn't stomp her when she tried to kick - trip her. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Karen should have minded her own damned business. No one is paying her to be the mask police. You have to know your limitations and if you're carrying a cane you probably shouldn't be running your mouth to complete strangers.
That being said the black woman should have told her to mind her own damned business and that be the end of it.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 08/06/20.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JeffyD
When I was a kid, our next-door neighbors (well, across our creek and the other side of a patch of woods) were a very old retired Irish sea captain and his wife. Mrs. Williamson made a daily one mile walk to the post office, and always carried a shillelagh for protection against dogs. And I had no doubt she knew how to wield it. She always smoked Phillies cigars. Used to save the cigar bands for me and I could redeem them for prizes, usually record albums, like Burl Ives and the Irish Rovers. They just don't make 'em like her anymore.

If you used those cigar bands to acquire records of Burl Ives and the Irish Rovers, I'm pretty sure they don't make 'em like you anymore either!

I have always used a walking stick whenever I'm out in the woods without a long gun such as when cruising timber. Prefer dogwood, but lost that one a long time ago. Straight dogwood is hard to find.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 08/06/20.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,575
Posts18,510,821
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.