Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can An all capable God communicate directly
with all persons?
So why the need for such a book?
sounds rather primitive and backward for a God,
and in any case most people were illiterate.

Nothing would be better than straight
from the horses mouth. directly into
the minds and hearts of mankind.

But for some reason a super intelligent being
did it the hard way through scripture ...

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Religion only really cares about "life" after death,...
Jesus’ teachings of loving God, and showing your love for God ‘by’ loving others is clearly the polar opposite of your assertion.
...and salvation doesn't require leading a "good life".
That’s right...because grace can’t be earned...if it could be earned then it wouldn’t be grace. But, loving God, and showing your love for God ‘by’ loving others would certainly go towards leading a good life. Not done as often or as good as it should be, but the premise is still there. If the only thing motivating a person to be good and decent is the expectation of a divine reward, then that person likely has a bad theology.
What a terrible mindset to be introducing to young and malleable minds of children.
I think teaching children Jesus’ New Covenant commands is a great mindset for them to have.

There was a lot less strife in Chitcago, Portland and Seattle and less quuuers kissing on the streets and schietting on the streets 60 years ago in San Francisco before Christ was kicked out of school, and a lot less overdoses and suicide by young folks back then too. Fuggers werent kneeling on the field or rioting either. Prolly ust a coincidence though.
Know way those dumbassed sheep herders years ago could know. They ust made some lucky guesses by coincidence.
whistle wink

No way id trade our wonderful progress for Him, though. Nah, we got it too good now. Well, if that dumbassed believer Trump gets elected again anyway. grin

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/06/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If, IF!, there is no life after death, and I think there is, following God Jesus is still The Way.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks, Antlers.

Rev 14:11
...and the smoke of their TORMENT goes up forever and ever; they have no test day and night....
(That's pretty darn clear!)

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Rev 20:10
...they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Rev 20:10
...they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

They as in the devil, beast and false profit
(specifically) , but you intentionally left that
important detail out.

One Cant trust a rabid christian conspiracy kook
with anything.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
People can believe whatever they choose. My life has become better with the belief Jesus died and was resurrected three days afterward. I accept the Bible at face value. Doe this make me a better person than others? No, but it guides me to be a better person, a happier person, a content person. I'm far from perfect and sin every day. My only regret is I didn't accept Jesus as my savior years ago. The words in the Bible are like the UCMJ, they can burn you or save you. YMMV

You can believe whatever you choose? Are you sure? I sure can't.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jesus’ teachings of loving God, and showing your love for God ‘by’ loving others is clearly the polar opposite of your assertion.
That’s right...because grace can’t be earned...if it could be earned then it wouldn’t be grace. But, loving God, and showing your love for God ‘by’ loving others would certainly go towards leading a good life. Not done as often or as good as it should be, but the premise is still there. If the only thing motivating a person to be good and decent is the expectation of a divine reward, then that person likely has a bad theology.
What a terrible mindset to be introducing to young and malleable minds of children.
I think teaching children Jesus’ New Covenant commands is a great mindset for them to have.

There was a lot less strife in Chitcago, Portland and Seattle and less quuuers kissing on the streets and schietting on the streets 60 years ago in San Francisco before Christ was kicked out of school, and a lot less overdoses and suicide by young folks back then too. Fuggers werent kneeling on the field or rioting either. Prolly ust a coincidence though.
Know way those dumbassed sheep herders years ago could know. They ust made some lucky guesses by coincidence.
whistle wink

No way id trade our wonderful progress for Him, though. Nah, we got it too good now. Well, if that dumbassed believer Trump gets elected again anyway. grin

You're biased to making a link between religion and civil unrest whereas that link doesn't exist. There are other causes for the problems over there.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's what you believe, Old hat, but you cannot in any way KNOW what I said isn't true. Besides, what you say proves mine: people invent gods.

You are perfectly free to believe anything you like. I won't call you names because of it. It is in fact one of our inalienable rights. Not God-given, I would argue, but inalienable nonetheless. Whether you choose to worship Jesus or Yahway or Allah or Bahl or Osiris is none of my business - unless and until you start telling me I have to as well. With a gun to my head. Then things get hairy.

I cannot believe in a loving God who blesses us with (for example) a child and then kills that child with some agonizing cancer. Or inflicts more plague than harvest upon us. I can't believe in a God who does those things. Because if a God doesn't control everything, then he isn't an all-powerful god. And if he does control everything, then he's a vicious, capricious, vengeful, and cruel thing.

I think this is prophetic; except for "capricious". Otherwise God, being Infinite, is all you posted.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RR - I'm not certain who you wish to convince or what you would like to change with your postulates, so I may or may not be changeable of mind. But, you seem like a very knowledgeable and reasonable person, so let me make a few inquiries of you about things in your post.

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Jag and others. It is not the unbelievers who are afraid. Universal statement - you know this for sure, and how? Religion is there with all its promised comforts of the hereafter precisely because we as humans are afraid of death. So we try to soften it by making up stories of how wonderful it will all be after we die. Uh - not all of the "stories" are about "wonderful"

In actuality, it ought to be just the opposite. The reality is that when we die, we absolutely cease to exist. Universal statement - you know this for certain, and how? ALL the evidence says that we simply...stop. Really - - evidence? - - or absence of anything to the contrary, or ?? From "all" of it, please state some of the "evidence that we simply stop. The good news is that we will never know we are dead. It would be impossible to be aware of anything, including that we are unaware. It is in fact exactly like falling asleep: we do not notice the moment when we stop being conscious precisely because we are unconscious. Is there some irrefutable evidence of the above from someone who simply stopped and did not know that he/she was dead?

That should be a comfort. It is a comfort to me. I think that if I were in fact able to "look back down upon myself" from soul height and realize that I was dead, it would be a horrific trauma. I'm confident that won't be the case, for which I am deeply grateful. The sad thing is that all you believers won't know you were wrong and none of those promises will happen. I won't know I'm right and you won't know you're wrong. I think I will know if I am wrong - can you prove that I will not?

Lastly (and maybe I'll give this an everlasting rest, ha!) I will say that I am not an atheist. An atheist is an anti-religion zealot, just as eager to convert as the most fervent missionary. Not to sure about this definition - "the anti-religion zealot" part - for those I have known were content to say that God does not exist and to argue that strongly - but did no work toward having me join their team. Are any of the Atheists on the Campfire doing conversion work - might they speak up on this? I am not that. I am simply a non-believer who was raised in the most rigorous Catholic way - until I started asking what seemed to be rational questions. And got what were patently absurd answers, one whopper after another to "explain away" every earlier whopper. And it all unraveled. I'm still pointing out the absurdities. And slyly smiling.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

whistle wink

You're biased to making a link between religion and civil unrest whereas that link doesn't exist. There are other causes for the problems over there.

Sheesh. None are so blind as those who would not see.

Thats what the stiff necked jews said before being taken captive by ancient Babylon, Rome.

Thats what the empire of Israelites said as they degenerated into a degenerate nation under Jeroboam as they were being defeated and taken captive by the Assyrians.

There is a reason the Jews, Tribe of Judah, has experienced the curses they have suffered through.

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Jesus apparently died to cover off for people’s sins. People keep sinning yet the slate is washed clean. It’s just one of the many contradictions in the bible – lead a good life but you’ll be saved anyway as long as you accept Jesus as your saviour, all sins aside.

I lead a good life without religious belief system, and outside of any expectation of a devine reward. I guess this grace must be more of an innate human trait that we developed. Angry believers use the threat of damnation and hell when they are confronted by logic from non-believers, so their focus changes to suit their immediate circumstances and shows their true preoccupation with the “afterlife”.

No offence but that response has zero meaning to me – it’s your opinion and it’s of no value to me.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If, IF!, there is no life after death, and I think there is, following God Jesus is still The Way.

Other religions had an afterlife in their theology long before Judaism or Christianity. Dreams and visions give an impression of a non material or disembodied existence. It's a very old belief.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Mauser, Thats what the stiff necked jews said before being taken captive by ancient Babylon, Rome.

Thats what the empire of Israelites said as they degenerated into a degenerate nation under Jeroboam as they were being defeated and taken captive by the Assyrians.

There is a reason the Jews, Tribe of Judah, has experienced the curses they have suffered through.

I Dindo Nuffin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

whistle wink

Thats what the stiff necked jews said before being taken captive by ancient Babylon, Rome.

Hey, God looks after His own chosen people well, really, really well....which is why they have suffered for thousands of years? Oh, wait, it must be that pesky free will thing at work.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
No nation on earth has been as blessed as has the USofA, simply because it was the ONLY COUNTRY IN HISTORY dedicated to the idea that the people created in GODS image should be free and were given certain INALIENABLE RIGHTS BY THEIR CREATOR.

That is why we were so blessed. If you cant connect that blessing going away with the US kicking HIM away you are seriously mentally compromised, especially since HE PREDICTED IT AND WROTE IT DOWN FOR US TO SEE AGES AGO.

How do you explain Israel regaining its homeland AGAINST ALL ODDS. And then HIM having written for them to not make treaties with their enemies who would turn on them and try to "DRIVE THEM INTO THE SEA". Then HE prophesied that they would be carried to safety as if by the WINGS OF AN EAGLE. We, the EAGLE, carried them to safety by Nixons help, though his secretary of state Kissinger told him he would be driven out of office if he did.

Oh yes, brainiac, it was ust a lucky guess, a councidence. Unfreaking real.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DBT

whistle wink

Hey, God looks after His own chosen people well, really, really well....which is why they have suffered for thousands of years? Oh, wait, it must be that pesky free will thing at work.

Oh, gee. You mean HE doesnt treat those who rejected and killed HIS son the way you think HE should have done. Cry me a river.

Come on you hyoocrite. What would any real man, not a man like you, would do to those who tortured your son unmercifully and then killed him. Im sure as sweet as you are that you would have blessed them.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus apparently died to cover off for people’s sins. People keep sinning yet the slate is washed clean. It’s just one of the many contradictions in the bible – lead a good life but you’ll be saved anyway as long as you accept Jesus as your saviour, all sins aside.
Yeah, Jesus is ‘the’ way. First and foremost, regardless of anything else, no matter what. THAT’S the ultimate belief according to the faith.
I lead a good life without a religious belief system, and outside of any expectation of a devine reward. I guess this grace must be more of an innate human trait that we developed.
I believe ya’. Millions of people lead good lives without a religious belief system or any expectation of a divine reward. Grace, to me, is getting something good that we do not deserve.
Angry believers use the threat of damnation and hell when they are confronted by logic from non-believers, so their focus changes to suit their immediate circumstances and shows their true preoccupation with the “afterlife”.
There are some angry believers that seem to be happy about the existence of hell. But not all are that way. And often the “logic” that believers are “confronted” with by non-believers isn’t ‘logic’ at all. And there are plenty of angry non-believers as well. Painting all believers the same color is no different than all atheists being painted the same color.
No offence but that response has zero meaning to me – it’s your opinion and it’s of no value to me.
That’s fine. I was simply responding to, and expanding on, an assertion that you made.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
RR - I'm not certain who you wish to convince or what you would like to change with your postulates,

What makes you think RRs intention is to convince anyone?.. how did you arrive at such an assumption?

RR expressed his view, nothing more nothing less.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.