Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I’m finally going to have enough time to make some food plots, and even make some flooded spots for ducks...
I’m thinking about renting a small bobcat, or backhoe to do the big work, but I’ll chainsaw the rest of the paths.

When making food plots what have you guys found that works best ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To open up the woods?

I’ve used a front end loader 4x4 tractor. With a bush hog.

All we had at the time. Prolly cut stuff we shouldn’t have. 😂

If you can afford it, someone with a mulcher can do some good.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Lots of trees where I am so I hired a dozer service. He was very skilled and made more plots in a day than I had hoped for. Worth every penny. Also built wildlife ponds and fireguards.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
JD 7R 270 w/ a DB44

Makes great plots.

Attached Images
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Kubota L-4400 mower, disc, Seed withcorn spreader.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hanco
Kubota L-4400 mower, disc, Seed withcorn spreader.

Same.

Fertilize and then drag over.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Established plots....

I’ve got a MF 243.

I’ll bushhog before season. Then burn it down with roundup.

Disc with a rebbullt auction disc.

Pull behind 300# spreader with my SxS.

Homemade harrow to cover.

I’d love bigger equip so it doesn’t take so long.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We use a small massey 1705 with bucket, tiller, brushhawg for most of the work. If I need hydraulics. We also have a bobcat 324 mini excavator. Neither one is big but we make it work

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kubota MX5800, 6’ disk, 6’ bush hog, 100 gallon spreader + a friend with a no-till drill

16 and 26 gallon spray tanks that go in the back of my Kawasaki mule for herbicides

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Slightly unrelated, we're trying to put in some Quail habitat on about four acres of ground. Have some adjoining Neighbors and possibly 10 to 15 Acres combined with all of us. I contacted Virginia Department of Natural Resources (technically DGIF or DWR... or whatever they call themselves now a days... basically the game warden ) asking them about quail habitat. They were helpful somewhat but put me in contact with USDA who came out and it's working on a very thorough detailed plan of seeds and practices for each of the 4 properties. There is no cost for the biologist to come out and look at the land and there is also potentially cost-sharing money for doing the work.

The biologist that walked the land with me was extremely impressive. He could literally identify every single species of grass we had and which ones were excellent for quail and which ones we should spot treat with Roundup as available.

Eventually we will Harrow the field hoping to retain some of our grasses and add in different supplemental grasses.

The equipment we will use will most probably be tractors for the open field and a forestry mulcher for the wooded property my neighbor owns followed by some control fire burning.

I do not have the plan in hand yet from the biologist, he came out just last week. But if anyone is interested I would be happy to share it by email... it may or may not be helpful to you but it is free.

This is regarding our property in Virginia adjacent to the Chesapeake Bay.

--------------------

We also own a considerable amount of Mountain Land in rural West Virginia. Working with a local West Virginia Forester to keep the land tax reduced we placed it in managed Timber. That is a formal program in West Virginia to save you about 75% on your taxes.

The Forester also suggested a USDA program for management of portions of the land for a endangered bird called the Golden winged warbler. Turns out there's a lot of money to put in habitat for these birds. I am signing a contract today for just about $27,000 to put in 30 Acres of habitat. Obviously $27,000 is not enough to fully pay for a dozer, but it is helpful over $0.

The warbler habitat will also be on a flat ground area of our mountain Land. With the trees gone and the grasses remaining low... and the adjacent Road remaining drivable... this will permit me to post 500 yard, 800 yard and 1200 yard targets.

Warblers win... I win...

Recap, contact your local Forester or County agent and see if they have opinions and advice for best practices. Control burning fires are often an outstanding solution and most areas will cover all costs.

Good luck to you gentlemen, it's always a pleasure to see people appreciate the land they have and work it as best they can to the benefit of themselves and the wildlife.

Last edited by CashisKing; 08/07/20. Reason: DGIF clarification

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Brother is a farmer. He has four JD tractors from big 4WD, to smaller ones. Trees not an issue. He plants all of mine.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They don't pay for control burns here...

My plots are all on the Buffalo System with a bit of Gly sprayed periodically... no fertilizer and low cost and very few weeds.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 32HP Kubota with a 7 foot tiller. I think round up is important so your crop is not fighting weeds.
I also get bulk seeds from the farm feed store. They have every type, and I think red clover was something like 20 bucks for an acre.
Stuff like peas, turnips, beans are really cheap per pound. So I mix and match. I like mixed, or plant segregated bands. Ground will say what works best.
I put down 10 10 10 fertilizer when I spray so that soaks in.
Look for areas that have less wind, moisture, and a fair amount of sun.
I just planted rape seed turnips, australian peas, and red clover. All good late summer feed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dewalt 20 Volt chainsaw and a mattoch to make a back yard out of the woods.

Now deer are on the camera every two days.

I really like this deer fence material
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JNTQJSG

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.