Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
KYHillChick bought me a Teslong borescope for my birthday-- $50.

I couldn't be happier:

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

That's a pic down the bore of my MAS 36-- certainly the biggest basket case in the rack. I've got more pics and details here:

New Bore Scope

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Not saying you need to clean that bore ... BUT !!!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This product will take care of that fouling in short order, I use a punch type of jag with tight fitting patches. 4-6 patches short stroked will do the job. Then follow with 4 patches of bore solvent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flitz-Gun-Bore-Cleaner-7-6-oz-Bottle-/124218944821?hash=item1cec06ad35

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keith
This product will take care of that fouling in short order, I use a punch type of jag with tight fitting patches. 4-6 patches short stroked will do the job. Then follow with 4 patches of bore solvent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flitz-Gun-Bore-Cleaner-7-6-oz-Bottle-/124218944821?hash=item1cec06ad35

Believe it or not, that pic is after I ran Flitz down the bore for 100 strokes. This rifle was a birthday present a few years ago. I got it shooting about 2 MOA and then cleaned it again and put it away. The last patch was clean. Moral: a clean patch does not necessarily mean it's clean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe y’all can tell me what that stuff is that seems to be missing from the land in this pic

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

just to the left you can see the raised area where it looks like delamination. In the mirror you can see a chunk missing.

Swifty
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You need to adjust the light source down a bit lower.

That “looks” like a Crevis in the metal in the land with some carbon build up on it ?

I’d have to look at this closer without so much light to tell for sure - unfortunately it’s easy to confuse raised vs. sunk surfaces in a bore scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same spot just closer view.

Swifty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That looks like lead or carbon build up in the grooves.

I’d wire brush the snot out of it (remember NOT to reverse the brush in the bore) to see if it loosens up and comes out.

Make sure you mark the spot you were checking on your bore scope with tape so you can go back in and see the same spot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting it is. To date that barrel has at least 1000 strokes of JB Bore Paste, Bronze brush and combinations there of. Same spot

Every once in awhile I will set out to brutalize myself and pull that tube out of the cabinet to remind myself of what believing what’s on the internet can do.
I might still make a tomato stake out of it.
😄

Last edited by Swifty52; 08/07/20.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How does it shoot? I have 2 rifles with barrels that look like crap and are copper mines but shoot MOA and under. I quit worrying about it and learned to use bore solvent over night when I clean them.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bore scopes? A barrel makers friend.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

Ive had a bore-scope long enough now to realize that rough bores with copper fouling (as in the first post) don't necessarily shoot better if you clean out the copper. In fact, they often shoot worse until the copper build-up fills some of the the pits again....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As a practicing shaman, I have experience with such Secrets Man Was Not Meant to Know. Still, thanks for the warning.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Swiftly the last pick is of course pressure / fire erosion...

But listen to Mule Deer - it might shoot just fine.

Find out if it likes shooting dirty, and do what ever she likes to shoot the best.
The only thing I can say is stay with the same type of bullet, some types of copper don’t like other types of copper and make strange results.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep!

Ive had a bore-scope long enough now to realize that rough bores with copper fouling (as in the first post) don't necessarily shoot better if you clean out the copper. In fact, they often shoot worse until the copper build-up fills some of the the pits again....

I found that out the hard way. I have a 700 in 30-06 that would stack up bullets up at 100 yards. I decided to clean it real good one day with copper remover and now it's just average. I guess I'll need to shoot it until it gets back to normal.

ALSO! Remember these scopes magnify everything to make it look worse than it is. When I first used mine, it scared me until I realized this. Tiny pits look like potholes and copper streaks look big as the lines in the road.

Last edited by reivertom; 08/07/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Swiftly the last pick is of course pressure / fire erosion...

But listen to Mule Deer - it might shoot just fine.

Find out if it likes shooting dirty, and do what ever she likes to shoot the best.
The only thing I can say is stay with the same type of bullet, some types of copper don’t like other types of copper and make strange results.

Good God am I laughing here.
That last pic was taken 3 months ago and only posted once, Mule Deer never commented on it just like he didn’t here.
Why, because that barrel was taken off and replaced over a year ago and he knows it.
Have had a new Krieger tube on that rifle since June of last year. Still haven’t shot it.
Guess I should have just used sandpaper on the barrel as was suggested on here according to well informed sources and supposedly the company.
Would have saved the tube. 🤣

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

WTF are you talking about? I did NOT mention any photo you posted here, just the one in shaman's first post.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Nothing to laugh at - some barrels look crappy but still shoot that’s pretty much all that was said.

But hey if it shoots good, and you have a smith replace it because of what you saw in a bore scope - thanks for supporting the proffesion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swifty,

WTF are you talking about? I did NOT mention any photo you posted here, just the one in shamans first post.

I know that, he did.

Spotshooter, I am laughing cuz you stepped in a pile of sh*t and didn’t know it. But you kinda deserve it. Do some research first.

Swifty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Swifty,

WTF are you talking about? I did NOT mention any photo you posted here, just the one in shamans first post.

I know that, he did.

Spotshooter, I am laughing cuz you stepped in a pile of sh*t and didn’t know it. But you kinda deserve it. Do some research first.

I didn’t realize I was replying to a pile of sh*t... I was calling what I saw in a crappy bore scope pick.

thanks for the clarification, I agree the dodgy post was a sh*tty play on your part. smile

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/07/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.