24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm looking to purchase an AR 15. Any suggestions on which brand, make, and caliber to get? Thanks!

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What will you use it for and how much do you want to spend. Welcome to the Campfire.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Might better post this on the AR and tactical forum. Some real AR experts there.

Mathew 22: 37-39

OP Offline
Thank you I will do that. Still learning campfire!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
Might better post this on the AR and tactical forum. Some real AR experts there.

Great suggestion. Those guys over there know their chidt. My best suggestion is if the op is new to ar's, start out with a proven performer. One that is not going to have issues. There are many brands out there and many that are excellent candidates to choose from. The prices for some of the well known higher end brands can be pretty stiff though. Brands like Noveske, BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, and Northtech Defense, are excellent companies known for building quality and dependable AR's. You'll pay dearly for them though. If you are looking for a quality well priced AR, that can also be had in brands like Stag, Rock River Arms, Windham Weaponry, Bushmaster, DPMS and Smith and Wesson. I think it boils down to what the OP is wanting exactly and then the guys over on the AR and tactical rifle forums can help narrow down a good choice for him. The OP needs to let them know what kind of money he's looking to spend, barrel length, weight limit and what his intended use will be. My suggestion for cartridge would be the good ol .223/556 or the new 6mm ARC. When that gets a foothold in the market, you guys better watch out because it's going to take off like a wild fire...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Get a DPMS in 5.56/223. Opt for whatever stock configuration you like. That rifle is every bit as good as anything I was issued in the Marines, which isn’t saying much. But they work and shoot fine. If that doesn’t scratch your itch you will then know that you aRe an AR guy and all bets are off. I have a couple ARs, but if I’m carrying a rifle it’s most likely blued and walnut. I keep ARs for two main reasons. One, it pisses off the snowflakes. And two, it’s a damn fine and capable battle weapon, just like the founding fathers would have wanted me to have.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Get a DPMS in 5.56/223. Opt for whatever stock configuration you like. That rifle is every bit as good as anything I was issued in the Marines, which isn’t saying much. But they work and shoot fine. If that doesn’t scratch your itch you will then know that you aRe an AR guy and all bets are off. I have a couple ARs, but if I’m carrying a rifle it’s most likely blued and walnut. I keep ARs for two main reasons. One, it pisses off the snowflakes. And two, it’s a damn fine and capable battle weapon, just like the founding fathers would have wanted me to have.

Amen..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Good advice in general but DPMS is no longer a player.
Remington Arms which also owns Bushmaster, DPMS, and Tapco are in bankruptcy and aren't producing any MSRs.
Colt is back in the consumer MSR business, can't go wrong there.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I likes my LWRC's and Rock River

Coyotes shot no waiting.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The best AR15 to purchase right now is the one you can get your hands on. Good luck.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FarmBuck14
I'm looking to purchase an AR 15. Any suggestions on which brand, make, and caliber to get? Thanks!

Without question your first AR should be 5.56 NATO/ .223 Rem.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I really like my Rock River Predator and it really shoots well.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatammo
I really like my Rock River Predator and it really shoots well.

Same with mine

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rock River

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Anyone play around with a Sig M400 Tread? Bought one barely used last year for the right price. I like that it has ambi controls and quick connect at the rear of the lower. I’ve wondered who makes their uppers and lowers and the overall quality of the rifle. I put a SWFA 1x4 on it. I have about 350 rounds through it with a Larue trigger. So far no problems.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FN

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a couple of the high tier AR's but have the most pure fun with a couple Palmetto State Armory ARs, 5.56 and 7.63x39 carbines and a 5.56 pistol.
Enjoy whatever you get!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. With today's world it seems like before too much longer these types of rifles will be twice as hard to purchase. Trying to get ahead of the curve and have one or two on stand by

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a nice FN but it isn't cheap.

FN15 DMR II 18" 5.56

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For the price of an FN you could have a JP RIFLE
better barrel and trigger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.