Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What kind of medical items do you carry in your Backpack while hunting ,besides the usual bandaids and aspirins. Been watching some videos of blood clotting bandages etc

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Half pint of whiskey.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Whatever you carry, get the training to use it correctly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tums

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Something that often gets left out - large alcohol pads for poison ivy/oak/sumac. The mini ones will work if you have enough of them but 1 3x4 pad will do the job. Before it gets burning too bad, wipe thoroughly with the alcohol and it'll take the toxic oil right off.
They're useful for bigger sterilization jobs, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regular pain killers, strong pain killers, steri strips, gauze, maxi pads, tape. Going to add the clotting bandages I think.

Worst I’ve done so far was cut my thumb while caping an elk.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
What kind of medical items do you carry in your Backpack while hunting ,besides the usual bandaids and aspirins. Been watching some videos of blood clotting bandages etc

I carry the "Combat Gauze" for blood clotting. These pads stop bleeding quickly. You can get them in individual foil packets, which is what I carry.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I sliced open a finger field dressing a deer and my brother used superglue to close it up. I thought he was crazy, and while he is, the superglue worked and I now carry it in my pack.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Quik clot gauze, not powder or pads, a bunch of triangular bandages. Tweezers for ticks and splinters. Duct tape.

about 8 oz.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Surgical stapler. I’ve used on the dog twice over the years. Hopefully I won’t ever have to use it on myself.
I carry a pretty good sized kit with me in the field and have a large tackle box set up with quite a bit more stuff that I keep in the truck. About half of it is geared towards the dog.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good Question. I keep a small stuff sack with standard emergency items. Whether it's just a day hunt or a week in the backcountry I always take the same kit. It's just a small bag and it includes a roll of tape, some gauze, blood clot powder, tp, a lighter a small swiss army knife with a scissors, water purification tablets, magnesium fire starter and a few wet wipes. There may be other things in that bag from time to time but that bag always goes with me.

God Bless America
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife works for a vet and I obtained one of the staple guns. Actually had to use it two years ago after cutting my arm open on a job. I was amazed after using two staples on myself. If anyone watched that movie martian when he shot himself in the side and screamed in agony after each staple, well it didn't hurt. I was shocked at how it didn't hurt at all. Kinda funny how silly it was. i bring it with me on long hunts and keep it in the first aid kit when working as an emergency item if the chit hits the fan.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
For backpacking hunts:

Superglue, gauze roll , roll of athletic tape and small plastic bottle hydrogen peroxide.

Have used it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Magnesium oil.
It's a dermal form of magnesium chloride.
It's a good quality form that rubs right into the skin and is absorbed on contact.

It's a lifesaver if you start getting muscle cramps.
Unlike calcium that is responsible for muscle contraction, magnesium allows muscles to relax.
I used it earlier on a long hike. It worked well and was able to get up a couple of seriously steep motorcycle trails.

Out in the middle of a remote area a couple of years ago, my thighs were cramping and nobody was around for miles...no roads, just me. I could only go 50 yards at a time and my legs would freeze and I couldn't walk.
I kept applying mgcl and eventually got back from a 20 mile hard set of trails in a bad place.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bleed out is the only thing that worries me in the back country. I'm ultra careful with sharp objects when alone.

Last edited by OldHat; 08/08/20.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Standard first aid kit plus superglue and Vicodin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Quick clot trauma bandages

Quality suture kit (I was taught by family in the medical field, practiced on whole chickens, got pretty good)

Butterfly bandages

Oral glucose (for any diabetic in trouble - I have personally seen it save 2 lives)

The usual bandages, wraps, pills (antihistamines, ibuprofen, aspirin, anti-diarrhea, etc), band-aides, alcohol, iodine, mole skin, tape, scissors, eye dressings, tweezers, gloves, a few creams, etc, etc.

It is all compression packed into a small package that's a bit over 12 oz.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tape, quick clot bandages or clean t-shirt material.

Duct tape.

Tourniquet.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by duck911
Quick clot trauma bandages

Quality suture kit (I was taught by family in the medical field, practiced on whole chickens, got pretty good)

Butterfly bandages

Oral glucose (for any diabetic in trouble - I have personally seen it save 2 lives)

The usual bandages, wraps, pills (antihistamines, ibuprofen, aspirin, anti-diarrhea, etc), band-aides, alcohol, iodine, mole skin, tape, scissors, eye dressings, tweezers, gloves, a few creams, etc, etc.

It is all compression packed into a small package that's a bit over 12 oz.

Doctor Duck.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.