Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just bedded an old rifle a month or so ago. The bedding isn't thick, just enough to free float the barrel the thickness of a couple pieces of paper. Now that the rifle is reassembled, I'm having trouble with the 2nd round in the magazine popping up and out when the bolt is brought back. The first and 3rd round are fine and behave the way they should, remaining in the magazine until forced forward by the bolt. Any ideas what's going on here or how I fix it? It's a 700 BDL I've owned since '86. Never had an issue with it until this bed job. This is also about my 4th or 5th bedding job with no issues on the previous projects.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can the magazine move vertically enough to wiggle it a bit when assembled (not pinched)?

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
M700 magazines can sometimes be a pain in the tail. I would remove the stock and turn the rifle upside down. Make sure the magazine is installed correctly in the receiver and fully seated. Carefully lower the stock down into position without moving the magazine. Before installing the floor plate may need to put a small shim on each side of the magazine to make sure you pinch it tight. Carefully install the floor plate and make sure it is centered. Tighten the action screws and make sure there is no excess gap between floor plate and stock.Might take a couple of times to reassemble before you get it right but may help.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any chance the mag spring is sitting different in the floor plate? I've had them go wonky when the spring is not seated fully in the floor plate slots.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Make sure the magazine box is fitted in place correctly and is located exactly where it should be.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll assume you have the mag box pushed into place properly. That being correct, it's likely that the port-side of the box is tweaked towards center a bit and the feed-rails aren't getting enough purchase upon the case. Out of the stock with the box installed you should be able to roll the bbl'd action over and look from the bottom up. Note the amount of feed-rail showing on the side that holds the cases down, tweak the opposite side to match.

I use a vise to make the tweaks as I find it easier to control and "cleaner" looking when finished vs. a pliers or vice-grip.

P.S. Cap't obvious apologies, make sure no bedding goo dripped down into the port-side mag-well of the stock therefore inducing the tweak as well.

Last edited by horse1; 08/09/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Any chance the mag spring is sitting different in the floor plate? I've had them go wonky when the spring is not seated fully in the floor plate slots.

I just wanted to circle back to this thread and thank everyone. Blacktailer seems to have won the prize on this one. The spring had moved back about 1/4 inch in the floor plate. Once I pushed it all the way forward the problem disappeared.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive had the same issue with two of mine...I'll check that out!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad we could help. The 24hr brain trust has helped me several times.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.