Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
ROME (AP) — The United States’ failure to contain the spread of the coronavirus has been met with astonishment and alarm in Europe, as the world’s most powerful country edges closer to a global record of 5 million confirmed infections.

Perhaps nowhere outside the U.S. is America’s bungled virus response viewed with more consternation than in Italy, which was ground zero of Europe’s epidemic. Italians were unprepared when the outbreak exploded in February and the country still has one of the world’s highest official death tolls at 35,000.

But after a strict nationwide 10-week lockdown, vigilant tracing of new clusters and general acceptance of mask mandates and social distancing, Italy has become a model of virus containment.

“Don’t they care about their health?” a mask-clad Patrizia Antonini asked about people in the United States as she walked with friends along the banks of Lake Bracciano, north of Rome. “They need to take our precautions ... They need a real lockdown.”

Much of the incredulity in Europe stems from the fact that America had the benefit of time, European experience and medical know-how to treat the virus that the continent itself didn’t have when the first COVID-19 patients started filling intensive care units. Yet, more than four months into a sustained outbreak, the U.S. is about to hit an astonishing milestone of 5 million confirmed infections, easily the highest in the world. Health officials believe the actual number is closer to 50 million, given testing limitations and the fact that as many as 40% of all cases are asymptomatic.

“We Italians always saw America as a model,” said Massimo Franco, columnist with daily Corriere della Sera. “But with this virus we’ve discovered a country that is very fragile, with bad infrastructure and a public health system that is nonexistent.”

Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza hasn’t shied away from criticizing the U.S., officially condemning as “wrong” Washington’s decision to withhold funding from the World Health Organization and marveling personally at President Donald Trump’s virus response.

After Trump finally donned a protective mask last month, Speranza told La7 television: “I’m not surprised by Trump’s behavior now; I’m profoundly surprised by his behavior before.”

With America’s list-leading 160,000 dead, politicized resistance to masks and rising caseload, European nations have barred American tourists and visitors from other countries with growing cases from freely traveling to the bloc.

France and Germany are now imposing tests on arrival for travelers from “at risk” countries, the U.S. included.

“I am very well aware that this impinges on individual freedoms, but I believe that this is a justifiable intervention,” German Health Minister Jens Spahn said in announcing the tests last week.

Mistakes were made in Europe, too, from delayed lockdowns to insufficient protections for nursing home elderly and critical shortages of tests and protective equipment for medical personnel.

The virus is still raging in some Balkan countries and thousands of maskless protesters demanded an end to virus restrictions in Berlin earlier this month. Hard-hit Spain, France and Germany have seen infection rebounds with new cases topping 1,000 a day, and Italy’s cases inched up over 500 on Friday. The U.K. is still seeing an estimated 3,700 new infections daily, and some scientists say the country’s beloved pubs might have to close again if schools are to reopen in September without causing a new wave.

In the U.S., new cases run at about 54,000 a day — an immensely higher number even when taking into account its larger population. And while that’s down from a peak of well over 70,000 last month, cases are rising in nearly 20 states, and deaths are climbing in most.

In contrast, at least for now Europe appears to have the virus somewhat under control.

“Had the medical professionals been allowed to operate in the States, you would have belatedly gotten to a point of getting to grips with this back in March,” said Scott Lucas, professor of international studies at the University of Birmingham, England. “But of course, the medical and public health professionals were not allowed to proceed unchecked,” he said, referring to Trump’s frequent undercutting of his own experts.

When the virus first appeared in the United States, Trump and his supporters quickly dismissed it as either a “hoax” or a virus that would quickly disappear once warmer weather arrived. At one point, Trump suggested that ultraviolet light or injecting disinfectants would eradicate the virus. (He later said he was being facetious).

Trump’s frequent complaints about Dr. Anthony Fauci have regularly made headlines in Europe, where the U.S. infectious diseases expert is a respected eminence grise. Italy’s leading COVID-19 hospital offered Fauci a job if Trump fired him.

Trump has defended the U.S. response, blaming China, where the virus was first detected, for America’s problems and saying the U.S. numbers are so high because there is so much testing. Trump supporters and Americans who have refused to wear masks against all medical advice back that line.

‪“There’s no reason to fear any sickness that’s out there,” said Julia Ferjo, a mother of three in Alpine, Texas, who says she is “vehemently” against wearing a mask. ‪Ferjo, 35, teaches fitness classes in a large gym with open doors, where she doesn’t allow participants to wear masks.

‪“When you’re breathing that hard, I would pass out,” she said. “I do not want people just dropping like flies.”

And health officials watched with alarm as thousands of bikers gathered Friday in the small South Dakota city of Sturgis for a 10-day motorcycle rally. The state has no mask mandates and many bikers expressed defiance of measures meant to prevent the virus’s spread.

Dr. David Ho, director of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center at Columbia University Irving Medical Center, who is leading a team seeking treatments for COVID-19, decried such behavior, as well as the country’s handling of the virus.

“There’s no national strategy, no national leadership and there’s no urging for the public to act in unison and carry out the measures together,” he said. “That’s what it takes and we have completely abandoned that as a nation.”

When he gets on Zoom calls with counterparts from around the globe, “Everyone cannot believe what they’re seeing in the U.S. and they cannot believe the words coming out of the leadership,” he said.

Even the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, has taken the unusual step of criticizing the U.S. when she urged Washington to reconsider its decision to break ties with the WHO. She also issued veiled criticism of U.S. efforts to buy up stocks of any vaccine that might prove effective, vowing the EU will work to provide access to everyone “irrespective of where they live.”

Many Europeans point proudly to their national health care systems that not only test but treat COVID-19 for free, unlike the American system where the virus crisis has only exacerbated income and racial inequalities in accessing health care.

“The coronavirus has brutally stripped bare the vulnerability of a country that has been sliding for years,” wrote Italian author Massimo Gaggi in his new book “Crack America” (Broken America) about U.S. problems that long predated COVID.

Gaggi said he started writing the book last year and thought then that the title would be taken as a provocative wake-up call. Then the virus hit.

“By March the title wasn’t a provocation any longer,” he said. “It was obvious.”

___

Pane reported from Boise, Idaho. AP reporters from around Europe contributed.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
When did cases vs hospitalizations and deaths become the benchmark?

This article (and I suspect the poster of it) is nothing but anti-American drivel.

We live in a federalist republic so we have state run responses. The most thoughtful among us (read: not my governor) are also attempting to weigh other costs than just COVID19 issues into our equations; there are unintended consequences to draconian responses that focus only upon the virus.

A virus which will run its course just like any other virus. The experts, no matter how low we bow to them and their edicts, cannot save us from that.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Better to listen to Sweden than the Italians.

Cut and pasting from reporters that don't any more than any other Joe on the street is useless scare mongering.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by OldHat
Better to listen to Sweden than the Italians.

Cut and pasting from reporters that don't any more than any other Joe on the street is useless scare mongering.

One massive editorial from people who don’t know their butts from a hole in the ground.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I frankly , could give a rat's ass what some schmuckos write about this blown out of proportion Charlie Foxtrot!

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Are we still comparing Italy to The United States of America?

And did our die hard journalists ever find "Patient Zero?" Or did we give up on that once we started rubbing shoulders with October 2019?

LOL

I'd run for President if I thought these fugk tards deserved me.

Dave the 'Flave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
F the Italians.

When the counters manipulate the numbers, as in labeling every death by COVID-19, something is in the works. Whatever they got planned isn’t going to be in our best interest.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Advice and bewilderment fom Rome Italy?

That would be like getting hunting tips from a vegan.

Got to be from the Onion.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Remember when Italy and VaChina were comparable to the US?

LOL

EFFICACY!!!!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I thought the focus was flatten the curve and only essential services. Did that. Keep wearing masks and we can reopen. Did that. We need a vaccine. In tests now.

Then they moved the goalpost....again....and again.

The virus, though nasty and sometimes fatal isn't the enemy. The enemy are those who use it to control the citizens.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CashisKing

The Onion first came to mind when reading it.

Were it really Italian, somewhere within the article it would have said ‘itsa makea me crazy ‘.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In Italy it's called "The Garlic."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those countries can only envy our level of freedom from government dictates.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bentquick is a sock puppet and an idiot.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Another troll, who’s primary source of information is the Huffington Post or similar leftest publications! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BY golly they are not liking the fact we aren't stepping in line with their globalist new world order, we should be ashamed. Hey, Italy go work on making a car that actualy runs and learn to wash under your arms.

Last edited by 348winchester; 08/09/20.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BenDick, the OP here is a mega troll, here to stir the pot.

Why the anti- American post? We all know.

The virus is spreading throughout the globe. There is no way to prevent that now. Some countries are testing vigorously and some aren’t. That means some post numbers and others don’t.

I repeat, there is nothing that can be done to STOP the spread of the virus right now. Not lock downs not masks not Social Distancing. Those measures may slow the spread, but to what advantage is that unless you believe that not only a vaccine is really at hand, but a super effective treatment is also about to marketed? All current measures are doing is taking a 24 month outbreak and turn it into a 48 month lingering problem. I suspect we will get global herd immunity before we can develop a vaccine and give it 8 BILLION people. After all, isn’t this thing ultra contagious??? How do you stop that?

I can base that past pandemics. 1917-18 Spanish Flu, 1957-58 Asian Flu, 1968-69 Hong Kong flu, 2009-10 H1N1.

The virus will stay in Italy and Germany and it will be spread there just like it is here. That article is a worthless piece of slanted journalism as I’ve seen. Conclusions about the YS from Man in the Street interviews in Rome??? Pleeze!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
last time I checked, people were protesting draconian Covid-19 rules in Europe too.

We're going to do what we are going to do, if they want to ban Americans from traveling to their countries, I'm fined with that. We need more banning between countries.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I wonder how they count there numbers. 6% of of those in the U.S. who have died from COVID died only from COVID. That's ~10,000 without doing the math. The others had COVID in their system with 2 or more health problems or died from something else but had COVID in their system. Some of those other health problems have been gunshots and vehicle accidents. George Floyd had COVID so was that what killed him?

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dess
I thought the focus was flatten the curve and only essential services. Did that. Keep wearing masks and we can reopen. Did that. We need a vaccine. In tests now.

Then they moved the goalpost....again....and again.

The virus, though nasty and sometimes fatal isn't the enemy. The enemy are those who use it to control the citizens.

Had to go to DMV the other day (not stuff you can do on-line).

I am in a very rural solid red community.

Big line... many many morbidly obese people. 100% mask compliant people in line (except me). Filthy nasty masks on many... 80% standing in line 1-2' apart... I am 10' feet away in the shade... they are all standing hot full sun.

Inside... NO DMV EMPLOYEES were wearing masks... yes they are behind a semi glass window, but they were in and out of the lobby constantly no masks.

The mask shaming cast upon me was brutal... but people have a tendency to back off when you "approach without a mask"... and they know they will surely die from Coronavirus if they do not yield.

Kinda like brandishing... but with nostril hair.

Point being... Good Gosh there are so many incredibly pathetic and stupid people in America.

It's like a 450 pound woman... smoking like a chimney... open diabetes lesions on her arms and legs...

In a stark raving panic that she is going to die from the bite of a King Cobra.

Last edited by CashisKing; 08/09/20.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,803
Posts18,496,365
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.