-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For my recurve, I don't want a bow quiver.

My lease affords to abiltiy to drive to within 1/4 mile of my stand. Actually more like 200 yards. I alwayes have water, some snacks, and some gear stashed in ammo cans pre-season. A fanny pack is my norm. I just need a way to transport shart pointy arrows in and out.

Was acutally considering just carrying them in a plastic arrow case. But, also, looking at the Mini-Catquiver. From pics, looks like arrows might fall out fairly easily. Thoughts or experience with this quiver appreicated.

Also, since I'm walking only 1/4 mile, thought about just using a regular traditional back quiver with round bottom, a 1/32" copper plate (not sure why I have it, but I so) in the bottom for safety, and a piece of foam fitted in on top of the copper to stick the broadheads in. They might rattle around a bit. Thoughts on that?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 08/09/20.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
For what you are trying to do - about any regular quiver will work - just needs to secure the arrows and cover the broad heads while you are moving.

You’re not mounting it - you’re just carrying arrows to and from the stand. I put my crossbow quiver in a side pocket on the day pack, a similar need for carry. I’ve got a small piece of 550 cord on the hood to hang it in the tree.

The Cat Quivers are nice for the back country, but I think it’s way over kill for what you want to do. I had one for a number of years.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/09/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have 3 cat quivers each progressively larger than the other. All I would care to hunt with. Holds anything you need and them some. Only problem is arrows need to be same length. So if you carry a judo head you need a slightly longer shaft.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DCR48
Have 3 cat quivers each progressively larger than the other. All I would care to hunt with. Holds anything you need and them some. Only problem is arrows need to be same length. So if you carry a judo head you need a slightly longer shaft.

That would make broadheads and few field points difficult to mix and max!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AH64guy
For what you are trying to do - about any regular quiver will work - just needs to secure the arrows and cover the broad heads while you are moving.

You’re not mounting it - you’re just carrying arrows to and from the stand. I put my crossbow quiver in a side pocket on the day pack, a similar need for carry. I’ve got a small piece of 550 cord on the hood to hang it in the tree.

The Cat Quivers are nice for back country, but I think it’s over kill for what you what to do. I had one for a number of years.

I'm sort of thinking that, too. Maybe just a cheap arrow tube with strap or handle.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Do you have a bow quiver you could carry in hand rather than mounted to your bow? As others said, about anything will work for your application...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
To add to that, I know some folks use a quick disconnect bow quiver for transporting arrows on their bow to their stand and remove the quiver once they're set up in the stand.

Last edited by JGray; 08/09/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Catquivers work fine.
But if you like stalking and take a knee, they get annoying hanging up on your boot heel.
That little snag annoyed me after the fourth or fifth hiccup, so I sold mine.

Other than that, they're pretty bad arse.

Bow quiver, is where it's at. Specifically, the old Delta. Have run them on half a dozen recurves. No longer made of course.
I like my arrows on the bow, helps break up outline, handy and mass weight can help bow noise/shock and help w holding stable.

Of course, they can also be noisy, if not properly setup/maintained.

They used to make a hip attachment, to carry the Delta (GFA) and they also make them for the wildly popular Kwikee Quiver.

Arrows on belt pivoting, hanging back...........might be dandy if you hunt on a golf course.
Thickets and stuff? Bow quiver.

Last edited by hookeye; 08/09/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Last edited by hookeye; 08/09/20.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My personal preference is a bow quiver.

My second favorite is this style. Not necessarily this one. It is what I use when hunting with my selfbows.
Shoulder strap side quiver
Stalker side quiver

I bought a leather one, and made a leather one for my son. I plan on making another this winter. Another option is to take any bow quiver and add straps to it. You can adjust it to your preference.
I know guys that have converted unused compound quivers, and a friend converted an Asbell quiver designed to screw onto the side of his recurve to this style.

It allows flexibility to move the quiver around from front to back and any position in between. It also allows you to put any pack on over or under it. I have even strapped them to my packs if that was what the circumstances dictated.

Last edited by CRS; 08/09/20.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The rest of the story....... I am getting a $200 Safey Award at work. Can buy anything I want off of Amazon. So I might as well buy a NICE quiver. That or some arrows, broadheads, a target,.... You get the picture. I have a to get some gear and I'm not buying any stuff for the house!

Besides, I can't acutally SHOOT like an archer I can at least LOOK like one!! Kind of like what ol' Red Green used to say: "If the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"

EDIT: I looked and Amazon doesn't have the Cat Quiver's anyway. There's other options you guys have laid out. Thanks!

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 08/09/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For that kind of hunting, you could even take the heads off and carry them separately in a small pocket box and the arrows in some kind of cheap shoulder quiver.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have an early/old version of the Sidewinder. Works well. Just wear a quiver on your belt and hang it once you get into position.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a Scorpyd LilGrip Quiver , it is ingenious. You clip it to your bow, crossbow , stand or a branch.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use a cat mini but would just make one today with a piece of sewage pipe PVC and 2 end caps. Just cut it so you can pad both ends real thick and mixing arrows and heads won't be a problem withing about 2-3 inches. All you need to do is cut a window out of the pipe middle. Give it a good long area to protect feathers in a rain and it would be better than my cat quiver.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,309 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,375
Posts18,469,398
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.