Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tracks,

If the hiring or non-hiring, promotion or non-promotion, were based on religion, it would probably be illegal.

Edited to add: I got to 2000 before you did. Ha, beat ya!

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tracks
OK, so someone owns a small business and wants to only promote people he knows or has a reason to trust.
Sounds like something a lot of us would do.
Why is that a problem?

It's not a problem with me I don't work there smile I do shop there--it's a block from my house. I did used to work with a butcher who works there now. He's been there for years. He likes his job. He does a good job too. He's Catholic. He even likes his boss--head of the meat dept., a 25 year old LDS kid who he trained to cut meat (as he did me) and doesn't mind that the kid makes $10.00 an hour more than him now. It's OK with him--It's OK with me. I just don't think it's a good policy to have in the government.

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 06/27/07.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul39
Tracks,

Paul

Yeah and I started sooner too. Guess I'm not quite as gabby smile
I hope you have more meaningful posts than I do as well.
I'm up to maybe ten or twelve that had any real importance

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul39
Tracks,

If the hiring or non-hiring, promotion or non-promotion, were based on religion, it would probably be illegal.

Paul

I worked with this butcher at another store just up the road, that's not in business anymore. We knew back then how things were up the road. All of the checkers and box-boys at both stores were friends and hung out with each other after work, and went to high school together, LDS or not. We all knew then and it's still this way. Of course it's against the law. It's just never written down and only spoken of unofficially in the break rooms, but it isn't very hard in this small town to see that it is how things work. All you gotta do is look around in there.

BTW, the 25 year old LDS head of the meat dept. didn't just come back with a college degree a few years ago, he came home from a stay at the Rawlins Pen for drug charges and burglary. I'm not at all implying that this is the Morman way, but simply that they are not all Saints.

Seems like there was something about Our sports teams wearing black armbands when we played BYU not that many years ago too.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But those outcomes are not functions of LDS doctrine. They are functions of the personal traits of the individuals involved and I dare say that they are traits possessed my most people, not just LDS folk. Moreover, even assuming arguendo that some latter-day saints have personal traits all people find disagreeable, does not mean Mitt Romney himself possessed such traits. If you read comments by people who know him, he comes off quite well. There is a strong story about his character involving the efforts he went to to rescuse the missing teenage daughter of a colleague at Bain Capital. It is quite impressive.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dutch, you're absolutely right about members of the LDS Church often being too automatically trusting of each other. It makes them easy pickings for the few unscrupulous members. I'm a lot more inclined to listen to Mitt's views, because we have something in common. But, Fred's put-down of Michael Moore was so elegant, that I have to give him the front runner spot for now.

Pepsi and pie? You're on, but not both at once... my system won't handle that much sugar at one sitting!

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JaquesLaRami
Probably largely related to a belief in 1/3 of thier wages being for the tithe--

1/3???

oh nooo....and we've been only paying 1/10 for all this time.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many jobs does the president get to appoint?

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 06/28/07.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just think that if you rule a man out by the religion he professes, you're being pretty narrow minded.

few Americans really understand how Government( sorry,, Gooberment) works and how little real power the President actually has.

a mans choice of religion can indicate mental weakness or serious gaps in logical analysis...

as far as the President's power and authority, he can commit military forces into combat on command... he has the authority to order a strategic nuclear strike...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think I can vote for Romney, either - unless he gets the nomination. I'll NEVER vote for a Democrat.

Fred Thompson is my choice, if he ever decides to make it official. If not, he'll get my vote as a write-in come the primary.

I personally think the Mormon religion is a little strange, but I think that of all religions. No prejudice against any one. What religion a candidate professes has never been a part of my checklist for politicians, and it likely never will be. There are many other issues I rank as vastly more important than where a person spends his Sunday mornings.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This seems to be a fairly civil thread. I may be redundant in saying this, but I don't care about a president's religious beliefs or how he worships (OK, no snake handlers or witches). However, I would be concerned if a president were to make appointments disproportionately representative of his own religion. I would also be concerned if an administration were characterized by cookie cutter conformity. Does anybody remember the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover? The stakes are too high to have anybody other than the brightest and best at the highest level of government, and that can only be accomplished through application of the merit principle in making appointments. That, IMO, has been Pres. Bush's main shortcoming. Remember the Mike Brown (FEMA) fiasco?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
Rather than a �chicken in every pot� Mitt is running on the �2 wives� in every bedroom mantra!!! grin

That is just false, LDS has disavowed plural marrages since the 1870's. They excomunicate folks who still practice it since that is against federal law.

Get your propaganda straight

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blinddog1, let me elaborate on that statement a bit. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints holds polygamy as an essential part of their doctrine. Without it, their belief system really doesn't make sense. The official position; current doctrine if you will, is that "polygamy is not currently practiced". FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joke told to me by a young Mormon:
Two Mormon Elders on their mission met a priest,
as they passed they gave him a friendly smile but the priest greeted them with this remark
"Good morning, sons of the Devil"
The two mormons looked at each other and replied,
"And to you, Father"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree about a man's choice in religion possibly evidencing flaws in reasoning---especially a man's choice of secular religion!

And Rocky, do you exempt your own religious beliefs from your criticism of religion? For example, atheism is a dogmatic metaphysical position. Environmentalism is essentially a religion. Secular humanism is a metaphhysical and quasi-religious belief system.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
a mans choice of religion can indicate mental weakness or serious gaps in logical analysis...

Mental weakness? Like the weakness it took to run a coporation to the level of success Romney achieved? Or maybe his mental weakness was most displayed by turning the state of Massachusetts around from its financial dissarray. No, I'm sure you're talking about the mental weakness evidenced by Romney when he took a corruption-plagued winter Olympics and made it a stand out event for the country and Salt Lake City.

Originally Posted by johnw
as far as the President's power and authority, he can commit military forces into combat on command... he has the authority to order a strategic nuclear strike...

And he would be more of a threat to do something stupid than our current commander in chief? You know, the guy who took us into a war he was hankering to launch from the moment he took office, the one who used faulty, if not manufactured evidence to justify it to the american people in a fit of arrogant machiavellianism that went contrary to the advice of his best military advisors.

Mental weakness is exemplified more by those who would judge a man's potential for doing a job here on earth, not by his demonstrated capabilities in that realm, but by their perceptions of what he believes to be waiting in the afterlife. That's the only mental weakness on display here.

Mule
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Originally Posted by Muleskinner

And he would be more of a threat to do something stupid than our current commander in chief? You know, the guy who took us into a war he was hankering to launch from the moment he took office, the one who used faulty, if not manufactured evidence to justify it

Rosie?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
The official position; current doctrine if you will, is that "polygamy is not currently practiced". FWIW, Dutch.

Where'd you dig up that quote?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ancient Hebrews practiced polygamy too, and most the people here sing praises about those people every Sunday.

Mule
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only things that bothers me about some religions are their refusal to fight for our country, they are getting a free ride from those that die for them.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (21, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.