-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, II made a trade a while back for a No.1B that was originally in 270win but had been shortened and was shot out with issues in the barrel at the chamber and the muzzle..
I asked a friend of mine who does gunsmithing if he wanted a crack at rebarrlleing a number one as he had never done one, but he does excellent work and he said yes, for sure!
we decided on a Shilen barrel that he had in stock, 27"Sendaro taper in 280 REM.
Well, long story short, I got the rifle back the other day, and am really impressed with what he did.

Rob had issues with the quarter rib and reported too e that it was not quite true, in fact it was twisted and he wanted to put a rail on it , which I agreed to.
After a bunch if measuring and searching in his raills, what he found was that a 20MOA rail for a Remington 700 installed BACKWARDS worked perfectly ! LOL!
Not onlly did it give the scope an added 20MOA, it lets me use Weaver style standard rings and it is cantilevered over the receiver so it gets better eye relief, a bugaboo, with my guys who would otyherwise either have to get Ruger extended rings or just steered right away from thee Ruger singles!
I gave him some new ammo I had made with 168Match Kings and H4350, loaded too standard OAL , and the rifle produces 5 shot groups anywhere from .4 to .6 MOA at 100 and 200 yards.
I am very happy with this new barrel, and my gunny was pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots after hearing all the horror stories told him about the no.1's inaccuracy- not by me however, I know how to make them shoot for the most part. :>)
Would he do another? NOPE! ! for him they are too fussy to work on, and he likes Remington bolt actions, much simpler he says! LOL
I have some other gunsmiths down south that are real expert on single shots , but Rob is a local guy so it saved me the shipping, and was a very cool project for both of us, and he enjoyed the chance to do one up for me.
He wasn't quite finished cleaning up the bedding but I told him not to worry II would take care of that!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08/10/20. Reason: pics

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Neat!
Thinking about how to mill the extractor relief groove is where I wake up in my sleep while doing it in my head! 😆

Last edited by Alaninga; 08/10/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's a cool conversion. Good luck with it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my good friend is a machinist too and builds some very good bench rifles and he has redone a few Ruger #1`s for me,said they take alot more time to do all the machining on a #1 is a little difficult and does not prefer to do them that often. your rifle looks very nice !

Last edited by pete53; 08/10/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just hate it when y'all put ideas in my head......
Cool set up with my favorite caliber.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Am I reading this correctly, Cat, the 20 MOA rail mounted backward still got you 20 MOA due to the taper of the barrel? That is serendipity for sure!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Am I reading this correctly, Cat, the 20 MOA rail mounted backward still got you 20 MOA due to the taper of the barrel? That is serendipity for sure!

Yeah, it worked out purely by accident!
Going to take it all the way out to 1K this weekend just for yucks!

Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
forgot to mention 2 years ago i took a 270 win. Ruger #1 and rebarreled this #1 to a Brux s.s. barrel 10 twist 24 in 220 Swift,shoots great.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.